Quantcast
Room acoustics MYTHS and what is a HIGH QUALITY MONITOR TOOL for you ? - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room acoustics MYTHS and what is a HIGH QUALITY MONITOR TOOL for you ?
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggy ➡️
There is still a lot to learn even if room low end response is solved. Room reverberation and degree of sound field diffusion are key technical parameters for mix translation (from the room acostics part) . Room acoustics geometry play a great role too...

Room-loudspeaker frequency response measurments only, doesn't give such information at all.

Sent from my ST18i
Sure, so if a room is reasonably flat AND has an even decay, there is nothing to learn, what you hear is what you get. My previous post was posted to fast without thinking. Glad we have both covered in our CR, very easy to work in also for outside engineers.
Old 15th April 2013 | Show parent
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
Bob, then why not to gather all the guys involved in the good ol Motown days and write a book - the truth and the profit? sorry for being off-topic
Lots of people have proposed that but nobody has come up with enough money to support actually doing it.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I can only speak from personal experience and I am by no means an acoustician.

The biggest things that I've learned in the spaces I've worked out of:

- Speaker positioning in the room is crucial
- Placement of listener (or me) in the room and in relationship to the speakers is crucial (see below)
- Using good isolating speaker stands (for me) has been crucial
- The "big control room" is not always better.
- The "super tight" control room is not always better

I've had good luck with the typical absorption products. Bass traps, panels, diffusers, etc. My room is controlled but not dead. I've done measurements with SMAART and they really help even out the response and shorten the decay time. Has it made my room easier to work in? I assume so. Has it made the room harder to keep cool? Yes...

I found that placement in the stereo field is one of the BIGGEST things that people forget to do. "They" say you're supposed to sit in an equilateral triangle with your ears and the speakers but I find that this doesn't always work given the room and the engineer. Everyone is different as is every room. The farther apart your speakers are, the center seems to get quieter. The closer together they are, the center seems to get louder. There's a sweet spot that you can find (grab two other gearslutz and have them help you). Move around the speakers and move your listening position to find the spot that you think sounds the most balanced on a reference mix that you feel has a great image. Try doing a mix that way, even just levels and pans. Take it to the car or headphones and see how the center balances with the sides. You might be surprised.

That's really all I know for sure (and again, things I know for sure in the few spaces I work out of).

Common myths -

Control room has to be big.
Control room has to be small.
Control room has to be lively.
Control room has to be dead.
Turning a mix down removes the room from the equation (big one)
*You can learn any set of speakers (my opinion)
*You can learn any room.

In my experience, it's not good to "learn a room" or "learn a set of speakers" if they are both terrible. It just sets you up for failure in every other room you work in. If you go to another studio, you're going to be like "man this sounds weird," and you'll spend quite a while getting used to it before you can even feel comfortable tracking or mixing in there.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Osborne ➡️
Common myths -

*You can learn any set of speakers (my opinion)
*You can learn any room.

I'm in total agreement with those two as well.

I'd also add to the list 'the room needs to be flat'. It doesn't, although that's nice.

What it *does* need to be is fast (imho), and fairly evenly so across the spectrum. That lets me hear transients accurately.

If I can hear transients accurately, I can work thru almost any other issue a room has.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I definitely could agree to that. I was talking to a friend of mine on skype who works over in SF in a room designed by Chris Pelonis and he claims the room decay time is <25ms from 20hz-20khz. It's almost impossible to imagine but DAYUM. I might have totally misunderstood him but if not..that's just nuts to even think about.

EDIT: I also read an article recently by Bob Hodas talking about how rooms SHOULDN'T be flat and instead should closely resemble the natural curve of our ears (or something like that). It got sciencey really quick so I kinda trailed off a bit...hah
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➡️
I'm in total agreement with those two as well.

I'd also add to the list 'the room needs to be flat'. It doesn't, although that's nice.

What it *does* need to be is fast (imho), and fairly evenly so across the spectrum. That lets me hear transients accurately.

If I can hear transients accurately, I can work thru almost any other issue a room has.

Gregory Scott - ubk
lol...the NS10 of rooms.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ha^
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
lol...the NS10 of rooms.

For me it'd be the Tannoy of rooms

Gregory Scott - ubk
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➡️
For me it'd be the Tannoy of rooms

Gregory Scott - ubk
Which Tannoys are completely unflat and full of issues, yet fast? Can't think of any Tannoys as uneven yet fast as 10's.....
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Which Tannoys are completely unflat and full of issues, yet fast? Can't think of any Tannoys as uneven yet fast as 10's.....

Agreed, and I didn't mean to compare the two monitors or call Tannoys unflat.

I just meant that in my world, an ideal 'fast across all freqs' room would be more like a Tannoy than an NS10... cuz I likes the sound of Tannoys!

Although, to be fair, I like the sound of NS10's too. I just wouldn't want my room *that* unflat, unless I had a primary room for reference.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
...and another room to take ear brakes in.
Old 22nd November 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hello,
I am new here, I just want to ask if any of you knows about online diploma for related to acoustic or noise and vibration control distance learning. My current location is here in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates I am looking forward to my career path to acoustic. Any recommendation a website.I appreciate you help..

thanks,
Andy
📝 Reply