Quantcast
Saffire Pro 40 - expansion vs "dual unit mode" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Saffire Pro 40 - expansion vs "dual unit mode"
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Saffire Pro 40 - expansion vs "dual unit mode"

I have a Saffire Pro 40 and am trying to understand my options when expanding, I have spent hours reading but am still confused...

The Focusrite website gives specific units that can be used as "Dual Mode"...does this mean that these are my only options when expanding? Or is dual unit mode different than normal expanding capabilities?

A better question might be, how/what do I approach expanding my Saffire Pro 40 with? I am confused on what is compatible and how things route.

I have read up on people using NON-matching brand interfaces and pre-amps to expand there channels on their interfaces through ADAT and S/PDIF connections. What are the restrictions and can I use my Pro40 with ANY brand pre amp? (is it even called a pre-amp? or is this considered a signal processor? sorry...)

*Last question, can I have multiple interfaces connected at once and use them simultaneously?

Ex. I have my Profire40 connected via firewire. can I add a USB interface alongside with my Pro40 and record from both interfaces simultaneously?
(I have a single channel interface that is USB powered and would like to try it for vocals without sacrificing a channel on the pro40 so I can record the rest of the band live on the pro40 channels)

i tried explaining the best I could, thanks in advance!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
On a Mac you can run multiple interfaces and make them act as one unit by going to the Audio Midi setup panel and creating an aggregate device (bottom left clicking plus)
On PC, I don't know how this works.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks,

yeah I have a mac...

will it run the interfaces simultaneously?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes it will but what I think you need is something like this:
Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain 8-Channel AD/DA at zZounds
This will hook up with 2 adat cables to your Focusrite ADAT port and give you 8 extra in and outputs.
Used they are cheap and apparently sound good.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
On a Mac you can run multiple interfaces and make them act as one unit by going to the Audio Midi setup panel and creating an aggregate device (bottom left clicking plus)
On PC, I don't know how this works.
even with logic?

I went to a local shop yesterday and was told logic wont run two interfaces at once. I was told I can't just pick any interface or preamp to run with my Pro-40 and that only specific ones would work.

was this "pro audio" guy a know-nothing?

Just to be clear, are you saying I could have a firewire interface and a usb interface plugged in and I could record off of all of the channels in both interfaces simultaneously? (the interfaces would be different brands)
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It depends how you want to work.

If you actually want two interfaces sharing the FireWire bus, then you need to find two that will play nice together, work as an aggregate audio device in OSX and work together in your DAW of choice (Logic it seems). That pretty much restricts you to a limited number of interfaces that can work properly in that manner (e.g. a pair of Pro 40's should do it, as long as Logic is happy with it).

On the other hand, if you just want extra inputs/outputs on your Pro 40 pretty much any ADAT-equipped preamp/converter/whatever should work fine. Just connect via ADAT to your interface, set up your master/slave clocking appropriately and off you go. And, in this case, the "whatever" could even be another interface, so long as it has the ability to run in some kind of standalone mode, where its analog inputs and outputs are mapped directly to its ADAT ports and it runs without being connected directly to your computer/DAW.
πŸ“ Reply