Headphones? How does this work? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Headphones? How does this work?
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Headphones? How does this work?

Okay, newbie question...

I'm a producer, building a facility in my home. I have a Toft ATB 16 Channel console and I've ordered an Apogee Symphony system. I'm having a tracking room built, and I was just wondering, how the hell do you connect headphones to your console from the tracking room? What is the signal chain, from headphone to the console?

Thanks in advance...

Jack
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
You need a headphone amp and a long cable!

Plug the headphone amp into the outputs on whatever channells you have your cans submix on
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In other words:

If you are only running one stereo mix to your talent (for arguments sake) normalize your Aux 5-6 channels to your headphone system and whenever using the console send your mix to those aux sends.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Plug the headphone amp into the outputs on whatever channells you have your cans submix on
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If you're having a tracking room built from ground up, why don't you have a through-wall patch bay system?
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomtom1230 ➑️
If you're having a tracking room built from ground up, why don't you have a through-wall patch bay system?
This is a whole other discussion, but thanks for bringing it up! I've been looking into these systems for a while, and would LOVE to have one installed (nothing worse than bundles of wires going through room to room). Problem? Don't know where to buy one! Do you guys know any manufacturers or stores you'd recommend that carry these wall based patch bays?

Quote:
You need a headphone amp and a long cable!

Okay, does anyone have any recommendations?

Quote:
In other words:

If you are only running one stereo mix to your talent (for arguments sake) normalize your Aux 5-6 channels to your headphone system and whenever using the console send your mix to those aux sends.
The last studio I worked in had what was basically a little headphone amp clipped to the mic stand in their vocal booth. The amp was no bigger than a guitar effect pedal but was great because the artist could control the volume from within the booth. Do you guys know of any systems like this for a vocal booth (to compliment a larger headphone amp with multiple outs)?

Anyways, thanks for all the replies! Appreciate it!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You really should get someone local to you to come in and spec this stuff. If you have a pro engineer friend maybe. But for starters.

Assuming you just want to send the headphones a single stereo mix, you need to dedicate two prefader aux sends to the cue mix. Prefader because otherwise the talent will hers changes you might be making in the mix while they are tracking, which can mess them up. If you only need to send the headphone mix to one location, like a vocal booth, those small headphone amps are great. I have a couple that allow for 4 sets of cans if you have multiple singers.

So...simply rum a stereo pair of wires to the booth and terminate them in whatever jacks your amp wants, a single stereo jack or two mono. Hook up and go.

If you are mixing in the box you can either send your mix, or create a second mix for the talent using a stereo prefader send in you DAW.

Or you could even do a mix plus set up sending the stereo mix plus a separate vocal feed so you can customize the mix for the talent.

Or if you actually mix on the console, make a headphone mix on the two auxes you set aside for the cans.

Now IF you need to send the headphones to a number of riims there are more options and more to do....

Hope this helps.
πŸ“ Reply