Preamp/front end for album. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp/front end for album.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Preamp/front end for album.

Thanks for reading!

I am looking to acquire a nice front end for my rig. I have good sources, room, monitoring, microphones, skills and experience. What I don't have is a preamp! Sold my old rig a while ago, and I am now piecing together a new one. The recording is going to be released by a label. I will be doing drums, mixing, and mastering in a separate facility. So this front end is for the capture of vocals, bass, guitars, piano, and harmonica too!

I am buying used to get a better value, and looking to spend approximately $1000, maybe more for the right piece. I do have a deadline and need to start recording next month.

I am looking for a rich sound, with depth and body. I want to avoid murkiness and muddy sounds. Vocals are the priority, they need to be presented nicely. I will be satisfied with one preamp on all sources. If it can double as a Bass DI that would be nice. The material shall be Indie, Folk, Rock, and some things that can't be easily described.

Some gear has been offered to me for the right price:

These pieces most interest me:
Manley Mono Pre (though i hate the DVC, if they are similar, i don't want it)
Portico 5032
Phoenix DRS (heard it, liked it i think)
Focusrite Red 7 (compressor is a good bonus)
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Nobody has ever used any of these preamps? Wow.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_N ➑️
Nobody has ever used any of these preamps? Wow.
I would buy a TG over germanium
also MA5 over BAE
Forssell over Millenia
portico is good sort of unique

don't know about the others
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➑️
I would buy a TG over germanium
also MA5 over BAE
Forssell over Millenia
portico is good sort of unique

don't know about the others
Good to know, thank you.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anybody know about the Focusrite Red gear?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SCA more bang for your buck.

MA5 > BAE
Germanium
Portico
DRS
Millenia

Or a different order depending on the sound you want.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
SCA more bang for your buck.

MA5 > BAE
Germanium
Portico
DRS
Millenia

Or a different order depending on the sound you want.
So, No on the Manley then?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So, No on the Manley then?
Havent reached for it enough to have a strong opinion.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BAE would serve this great. Would work with everything. If you weren't fussed about line inputs or lower impedance options, you could grab the dmp which has an incredible bass di through an extra jensen transformer.

If not, would a great river be in your price range? Definitely has a more moderny sort of sound but still gets thick when you need it to. I believe you can also di through the circuitry in a similar way. It gets nothing but praise here for good reason.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the Phoenix DRS, which is a lovely sounding pre...quite Neve-ish in character, maybe a little clearer. It has a wonderful DI on it too, which sounds fab on bass gtr.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another fan of the TG. Had the Manley for a while. It was good, but not my taste.

Fwiw If you want to check out michaelnappi.com. Here We Go Again guitars, bass and vox were recorded solely with the tg2 (except 7:26 which was an Adesigns Pacifica another great all around box to consider. Punchier than the TG. I love both!!)
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am looking for a rich sound, with depth and body. I want to avoid murkiness and muddy sounds. Vocals are the priority, they need to be presented nicely. I will be satisfied with one preamp on all sources. If it can double as a Bass DI that would be nice. The material shall be Indie, Folk, Rock, and some things that can't be easily described.

Some gear has been offered to me for the right price:

Daking Pre & EQ Strip with the output transformer.
The Daking sure sounds like it fits your bill. I love my Dakings. Open, clear, rich, not too mid-forward, nice high-end sheen.I'd have no problem using them and nothing else. I think a lot of other folks tend to agree.
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anybody know about the Tube-Tech gear? Seems like a solid-state unit would make more sense as an only preamp.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I agree with euphoria about the Great River.

Sent from my C5170
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I heard the Great River once and I thought it sounded indistinct somehow, not bad sounding at all, just doing something I wasn't in love with.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A few people have recommended the TG2. It's awesome of course bu the OP's budget is $1000 or so. A used TG2 is double the OP's budget. Used germanium's go for under $1000. Lovely pre for acstc/elec guitars, bass, vocals, synths, drums for the most part. A second pre like a 1073 style BAE or Daking might help cover all the bases for a project but it's not within the budget. I'd go Daking Pre/EQ if I had to work with just one for an entire project. The germanium hasa pleasing color/tone to it. The Daking will have the clarity plus the EQ can further sweeten and be used to cut out the murkiness and mud.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
MA5 isn't on the OP's list of gear he/she is interested in and a 500 series rack would be required to power it. This also exceeds the listed budget..

I'd pick up the Daking and get on to the recording.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid ➑️
MA5 isn't on the OP's list of gear he/she is interested in and a 500 series rack would be required to power it. This also exceeds the listed budget..

Am I going to get some richness with the Daking? I could go a little over $1000 if it is really going to make a difference. But I really don't want to deal with buying a lunchbox.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Not if the op buys used. It is better than the listed alternative.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
Not if the op buys used. It is better than the listed alternative.
Do you mean better than BAE or better than all of my options?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Lovely pre for acstc/elec guitars, bass, vocals, synths, drums for the most part.
Are you talking about the Germanium here?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anybody know about the Tube-Tech gear? Seems like a solid-state unit would make more sense as an only preamp.
A studio I worked at early on in my career had their pre. Solid, sounded great. We recorded lots of stuff w/ it. Personally I think for the $$ there are better, but it certainly was good.

If it were up to me for a single pre (well single box - you know what I mean!) - for as much as I love the Chandler stuff (and I REALLY do) the ADesign's pacifica would be my choice. A little over your budget, but if you could swing it, it'd be worth it.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do you mean better than BAE or better than all of my options?
Better than the BAE. For the rest its a matter of taste. It is my desert island 500 pre at the moment though. For "my" uses it would be the best on your list.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try the warm audio wa 12. at 499usd it can't be beat for value and performance.

High gain, cinemag transformers, fully discrete mic/pre.

Cheers
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➑️
Try the warm audio wa 12. at 499usd it can't be beat for value and performance.

High gain, cinemag transformers, fully discrete mic/pre.

Cheers
I'm sure its nice, but I am looking to spend more than that.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta4lnch ➑️
Another fan of the TG. Had the Manley for a while. It was good, but not my taste.

Fwiw If you want to check out michaelnappi.com. Here We Go Again guitars, bass and vox were recorded solely with the tg2 (except 7:26 which was an Adesigns Pacifica another great all around box to consider. Punchier than the TG. I love both!!)
I am really surprised (in a way) that Manley has such mixed reviews. I was forced to use the Langevin vocal-combo a few months ago and it lacked . . . mojo. Now I have a chance to buy a Manley pre for a fair price. I have noticed a significant amount of users describe the Manley as lacking mojo. Does anybody know if I am going to get a similar result from Manley is I did from Langevin?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am really surprised (in a way) that Manley has such mixed reviews. I was forced to use the Langevin vocal-combo a few months ago and it lacked . . . mojo. Now I have a chance to buy a Manley pre for a fair price. I have noticed a significant amount of users describe the Manley as lacking mojo. Does anybody know if I am going to get a similar result from Manley is I did from Langevin?
I don't think the Manley lacked mojo - I think it was a fairly honest pre. People see tubes and they think color. That aint happening w/ Manley gear. fwiw I like a lot of colors in my pre's which is why I ultimately went w/ something else. The TG, for example, has color for days . . .
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta4lnch ➑️
I don't think the Manley lacked mojo - I think it was a fairly honest pre. People see tubes and they think color. That aint happening w/ Manley gear. fwiw I like a lot of colors in my pre's which is why I ultimately went w/ something else. The TG, for example, has color for days . . .
Ah, thanks. I didn't expect much color, I am trying to imagine if I am going to get a rich tone though. Clean is cool, I just don't want ice-pick brittle sounds.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
List changed

I have revised my list since I can get a lunchbox cheap.

Chandler Little Devil
Avedis MA5 - since it is so well recommended.
Massenburg
LaChapell
Portico
Phoenix
Manley
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There really is no single mic pre you should buy. Different preamps sound great on different things.

If I had to record an album with one preamp and money were not an issue Id still probably still choose the Great River.

The GR isnt great on everything but it fits the ops criteria perfectly as a truly versatile instrument.

Sent from my C5170
πŸ“ Reply