Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
AKG D12 on electric guitars?

thoughts? i've heard some good things.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never tried it but I'd have to guess that the results would be less than ideal. The D12 and D112 were meant for low frequency response such as kick drums and bass amps. Even on bass, you lack the detailed high range frequency. HOWEVER try it because it ultimately comes down to your preference.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I use it on bass amps but never tried on guitar, why not give it a shot - totally legit coz it's a mic after all. :-D
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One of my all time favorite mics for guitar cab is a Beyer M380, kick drum mic. Don't be shy, give it a try.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In bands with no bass players, where guitarists are playing through open back cabs or combos, a d112 on the back with it's polarity reversed sounds awesome and full. I tried this a few times with bands that did, in fact, have a bass player and that mic was muted rather quickly.

Last edited by MickeyMassacre; 26th January 2013 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: forgot a word or two...
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre ➑️
In bands with no bass players, where guitarists are playing through open back cabs or combos, a d112 on the back with it's polarity reversed sounds awesome and full. I tried this a few times with bands that did, in fact, have a bass player and that mic was muted rather quickly.
I also remember using this for heavy "jud jud" metal bands with great success as well.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons ➑️
Never tried it but I'd have to guess that the results would be less than ideal. The D12 and D112 were meant for low frequency response such as kick drums and bass amps. Even on bass, you lack the detailed high range frequency. HOWEVER try it because it ultimately comes down to your preference.
Beside kicks, D12s and d112 are often used on guitars, piano and bass amps. They have been for many years. D112 starts rolling off at 15k. Actually analog tape at 15ips rolls off at about the same frequency. So in a way d112 is a great mic for anything in the digital domain since brightness is can often be an issue. Mics like 414 sound really nice if you roll them off around 15k. I suppose if a dog or an owl is going listening to your mix it may be a bad idea, however for a human; 15k roll off is really smooth on guitars. Low passing guitars at 6k is not uncommon so 15k I'm not too sure you really need. You keep that area open for vocals, cymbals, rides, strings , synths and just plain air.

D112 has a bump at 100hz and at 3k which makes it a fantastic mic for heavy guitars or any guitars depending on what you are going for. D12 I believe is more flat in upper frequencies but still a kick arse mic on just about anything if you understand what it's particular strengths and weaknesses are. I could be mistaken but I believe d12 had a dip at around 6-7 k which is fantastic for aggressive distorted guitars since often that cheap sounding fizzy area is there. It also had a bump at 3-5 k which is great to open up a muffled guitar tone.

Usually engineers are aware of the frequency response of a particular mic before placing in front of a source. It's a big help if you understand what a mic is going to pick up or not going to pick up. In conjunction with your ears it's a great way to get sounds and then know what to expect or not to expect. since you may have a sinus thing going one day on or maybe some other thing in the chain is not up to spec. Knowing what a mic is all about is key to recording.

I've used d112 on guitars for a bout 5 years now. Sounds killer. I had a d12 years ago which since broke but I used it on clean guitar tones in the past to give it some more warmth and some girth.

Another thing I like about d112 is its diaphragm is larger than a 57 so it's a little more flexible in some ways since you can pick up more of a speaker. If your cab has grille, with a 57; when move it towards the cone it's brighter. Not just because the speaker is brighter at the cone, but the mic is further away from the speaker at that point and there is less bass due to less proximity. Move towards speaker edge it is more bassy. Not just because a speaker has more bass there, but now the mic is closer to the speaker and there is more prox effect in addition. With d112 you can sort of stick it half way between the cone and the edge of the speaker and it's the best of both worlds. At least this is my assertion. I'm not sure how the d112 compares to 57 as far as proximity effect goes but regardless it is a killer mic on guitars. Highly recommended from my limited experience.

YMMV
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger ➑️
thoughts? i've heard some good things.
Give it a shot & post the results here-we'd dig hearing what you come up with. Placement & gear details are always appreciated too Have fun!!
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Used D12's on guitar, piano, vocals, overhead (!) and even as room microphones. Always pleasing results - for 50s/60s garage stuff
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Doable, but not a fan.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
If it was good enough for Phill Brown, is good enough for me:

What was your usual method in capturing the guitar tones of some of these bands in the studio?

I have always loved AKG D12 or D20 on guitar amps – still use them. The secret has always been to get a great sound in the room and then try not to mess it up – a little Urei 1176 compression. I nearly always used the D12 close to the amp and the Neumann U87 about 8 feet away. Due to limited outboard gear we would often try desk distortion and Leslie speakers. My favorite amp in the studio was a Vox AC-30.

Phill Brown: 'Sessions With Led Zeppelin Were Claustrophobic And Scary' | Interviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
Old 26th January 2013
Deleted User
makes sense... I have used a Beta 52 on Marshall cab often I kinda like it
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
With another mic as well they can sound cool as they can take a lot of volume. Try it and see how it sounds to you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers ➑️
why not give it a shot - totally legit coz it's a mic after all. :-D
A friend of mine can't sing worth a lick, but he used to dream of being the front man for a big rock band. Well I will tell him to GIVE IT A SHOT---his name is MIKE :-) LOL Okay, not so funny humor but hey! LOL
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Even though the D12 is mainly used for low frequency instruments today (kick drum and bass amp), it was designed as a general purpose dynamic mic and if you go back to photos of bands in the 60's you will often see them used for both vocals and guitar cabinets. If you don't like it on a guitar amp, but still want something different than the standard SM57, then try an EV RE-20 or Sennheiser 441.

The main problem with a vintage D12 in the 21st century is most of them are getting old, many have been abused by years of being in front of a kick drum, and if that capsule dies, which it eventually will, you have an expensive paperweight because there is no replacement part available.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yep, same here ... kick or bass for that mic.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
To the OP- do you have a D 12? Do you record electric guitars?
Then try it. Let us know.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
To the OP- do you have a D 12? Do you record electric guitars?
Then try it. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I do record electric guitars and wish to buy it, but I guess if gearslutz isnt favorable about it, then the purchase will have to wait. Daddy needs a new bus compressor.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons ➑️
The D12 and D112 were meant for low frequency response such as kick drums and bass amps. Even on bass, you lack the detailed high range frequency.
Sorry---not true in the D12's case---as someone else mentioned these were developed by AKG as general purpose microphones (not just for kick drums) and have a very nice detailed upper mid-range actually---these and D20's (when they are working properly) sound great on electric guitar and many other sources IMHO. The D112 is a whole 'nother story having been specifically designed/voiced for kick drum tasks.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStuart ➑️
Sorry---not true in the D12's case---as someone else mentioned these were developed by AKG as general purpose microphones (not just for kick drums) and have a very nice detailed upper mid-range actually---these and D20's (when they are working properly) sound great on electric guitar and many other sources IMHO. The D112 is a whole 'nother story having been specifically designed/voiced for kick drum tasks.
should i say **** it and try it out?
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Abso****inglutely!!!!!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sure---be careful though----there are a lot of broken D12's out there....

You were talking vintage right? Not the new D12VR....
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStuart ➑️
Sure---be careful though----there are a lot of broken D12's out there....

You were talking vintage right? Not the new D12VR....
Vintage, yeah. Its on the classifieds and looks like it came from a good home

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 1st December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I do record electric guitars and wish to buy it, but I guess if gearslutz isnt favorable about it, then the purchase will have to wait.
(Reviving an older thread here) I don't know if you were being ironic but I sure hope that you don't care what GS think you should buy or do...

I was thinking about selling my pristine D20 but gave it another try over the last few weeks. Used it on tambourine (w/ skin) first > Fantastic with a big yet controllable low-end. Tried it on some Do-Wop backing vocals with the Low-end attenuation> works great and sits in the mix nicely. I discovered that the D20 has a nice 'sandpaper' quality in the upper range, a bit like a tube condensor.

I'm now using it on small Fender amps and am very pleased so far. The first thing that came to my mind was 'natural'. I think it really sounds much like the amp does in the room...

In short, I will definitely keep the D20 and I find the difference to my D12 to be big enough to keep both.
Old 1st December 2014
Gear Guru

another mic that is great on guitar cabs that is also great on kick is a Beyer M88.
Old 7th March 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Here’s a chain I use a lot and it sounds bloody good.
Rhodes and Wurlitzer > silverface vibrochamp > D12 > 1073 > soundcraft delta DLX with aux sends going to a pair of fisher space expander tube spring reverbs. Heavenly to listen to and as said above it really captures that in the room sound of an amp.
πŸ“ Reply