I was just talking with Neuman about u67s - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I was just talking with Neuman about u67s
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O ➡️
Tube aside, a U67 is a more complicated circuit.
That could be easily replicated?
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Guys FWIW, one of the sales representatives told me at their booth today, it'll be the U47 FET-not the tube version!

Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov ➡️
Guys FWIW, one of the sales representatives told me at their booth today, it'll be the U47 FET-not the tube version!

Chris
Meh.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Chris
bunch of wimps!
boooring! lol
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Maybe they should license Andreas Grosser's VF14 replacement transistor thingy, make him a wealthy man, and give us some lovely new 'tube' versions. .
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Maybe they should license Andreas Grosser's VF14 replacement transistor thingy, make him a wealthy man, and give us some lovely new 'tube' versions. .
Maybe they did????

I tried Andreas VF14 'transistor thingy' next to an original U47 VF14 tube at Andreas' place and I bought the transistor thingy. It's amazing.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon ➡️
Maybe they did????

I tried Andreas VF14 'transistor thingy' next to an original U47 VF14 tube at Andreas' place and I bought the transistor thingy. It's amazing.
I had a slightly different experience.
Although I think Andreas' VF14 tube replacements are great.especially dug what the glass tube variant did to the high's.
I swapped the solid state Andreas tube out of my Grosser 47 with a real VF14 and the low end blossomed down low[80hz-down] yet got tighter especially in the low mid area.
the difference was more evident when you placed the mic out in front of a drumkit with a 24" radio king bass drum.
on vocals it was less noticeable.
a great sounding mic either way
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those in the know, why do designs get 'lost'?

Surely there can't really be materials that they had in the war which we no longer have? And an established german company like senheiser/neumann has not looked after company records and/or lost people that kept designs in their head without writing them down?

Or is it the case that people just like the sound of components which have been abused for 50 years, and this simply can't be reproduced?

Or is it because manufacturers can't help but tinker with designs to 'improve' them?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Fair enough. I obviously didn't carry a bass drum with me when I visited Andreas heh, so my comparison was limited to vocals, but the difference was negligible. The tube was noisier of course, but the sound of the Andreas' FET was so close to the tube, that I opted for the lower-maintenance solution, even though my original intention was to get a tube mic! And if I wanted to, I could always swap the FET for a real tube, that's the beauty of Andreas' 47 design.

Back on topic, another re-release of the U67 would be great. What's the consensus on the earlier re-release compared to original U67s? If they got it right then, they could get it right again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Although I think Andreas' VF14 tube replacements are great.especially dug what the glass tube variant did to the high's.
I swapped the solid state Andreas tube out of my Grosser 47 with a real VF14 and the low end blossomed down low[80hz-down] yet got tighter especially in the low mid area.
the difference was more evident when you placed the mic out in front of a drumkit with a 24" radio king bass drum.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Chris
That certainly explains a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon ➡️
Back on topic, another re-release of the U67 would be great. What's the consensus on the earlier re-release compared to original U67s? If they got it right then, they could get it right again..
Everything I have read has led me to believe that they were spot on. But the reason for that is that they made them out of surplus spare parts. My understanding is that they didn't have to manufacturer much and no additional key components (capsule never went out of production for example). So it was more a matter of assembly and hence the limited run.

I do seem to recall however that they did make a new/different power supply. Maybe someone could confirm/correct? If that is correct I can only assume it was well received as I've not seen any posts stating something like, "be careful buying a 67 and avoid the reissues because they have an inferior PS".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
If you have the choice please make Andreas himself a wealthy man
and buy one of his Voxorama mics.
They are as close to a vintage 47 as it gets
as long as you can live without the neumann logo.
He really is the man with a love for detail and sound
totally opposite to what neumann / sennheiser these days is...

U 47 fet AI - I´m not shure if that´s what the world needs...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
If you have the choice please make Andreas himself a wealthy man
and buy one of his Voxorama mics.
They are as close to a vintage 47 as it gets
as long as you can live without the neumann logo.
He really is the man with a love for detail and sound
totally opposite to what neumann / sennheiser these days is...

U 47 fet AI - I´m not shure if that´s what the world needs...
Not really in my realm of 'realistic needs' regardless whether it comes out nice or not.....but he is modding me some nice Gefell MV691's with M94's as we speak .......heh
Quote:

Chris
mhhhhhhhh.......
Boring news.......

R.
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If Neumann built a few more good mics, great. I heard some Neumanns that I liked, one of them was not that old. Then again, there are already a few other companies/boutique shops that build good mics, too. I hope Neumann are aware what level of quality they have to come up with.. and the marketing division let's them arrive there.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Did you do a similar comparison with the glass tube? I also like the sound of what I've heard o that, regardless of how close it is to a VF14...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was just talking with Neuman about u67s Reload this Page Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O ➡️
Tube aside, a U67 is a more complicated circuit.
Personally I like the M269 over the 67.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
U47 is very unlikely. Not impossible though. A OEM version of Telefunken USA but with Neumann K47 maybe? A U67 should not be that big problem do produce today.
7+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 ➡️
I second this...
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera ➡️
That could be easily replicated?
Easily? THAT must be why everyone has already done it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 ➡️
But then your are even in a worse position tube wise (701) vs the tube used in the 67.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Really...why won't Neumann just give the people what they want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➡️
A true comment !

R.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I know it's about the bottom line...but they could produce enough of these microphones in a year to appease those of us that want historical replicas. I wonder how much it costs to make a TLM mic? I bet no more than $100 in parts...what they don't understand is that they could and would do more for their name brand by producing a new 47 and 67 than anything else they could do.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I would be very happy with a re-issue of the Fet 47 .
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Was it really Neumann or Gefell

Was it really Neumann or Gefell who made it ... I know they were from the same company ... but I thought the original factory was maintained by Gefell ... Anyway, what's the story ...
Trp
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➡️
Because they don´t expect to sell enough of it. Their perception of "what people want" is not the same as yours. And they are probably right.

A few years ago I talked to a Neumann Engineer and asked him why they wouldn´t build U67s again. He said it was possible to do it but they would have to actually price them considerably higher than what they are going for on the used / collector´s market. That market still seems rather saturated: if you want to buy a well serviced, well functioning U67: you can. So what´s the point?

He also told me some interesting background information on how Neumann went into financial trouble: Until the late 80s / early 90s Neumann had no proper controlling and they were making so much money with vinyl mastering and cutting machines and public broadcast that they didn´t realize that they were actually losing money on their microphone production. So when vinyl/mastering/boradcasting revenues declined they found themselves in deep financial trouble. Because they were building mics to high technical specs but not to a price point. That´s when they were acquired by Sennheiser.

Don´t get me wrong I love those old Neumann mics — I own a wonderful M49 and use U67, M269s, KM56s etc regularly. But they are available. If you want a U67 you can buy one for 6.500 Euros in great condition, at least over here in Europe. So very few people will buy new ones if they are considerably more expensive.

Gearslutz talking about what they would spend money on is one thing. The number of people that actually spend that kind of money is another. The vintage gear reseller market is pretty down right now...
Trp
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans ➡️
If Neumann built a few more good mics, great. I heard some Neumanns that I liked, one of them was not that old.
TLM 170s are great mics I think. M149s can be wonderful, too, on grand piano or as room mics for example. Both can be used alongside the best vintage Neumann mics. Maybe not as vocal mics but in many different applications.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp ➡️
Because they don´t expect to sell enough of it. Their perception of "what people want" is not the same as yours. And they are probably right.
That's actually not true. Christopher and the other Germany/Austria or whatever guy I was speaking with in the Neumann booth are both regular mic-savy guys who are well aware of u67 Gearslutz threads and the moanings and whinings for mics such as the u67. Christopher even quoted some of the talk that goes on here... as well as talk about the clones.

Christopher said "we know that we can sell as many as we can build, so we want to do it right". But he did say that in deciding a reissue, they FIRST look at if they can get hold of or make EVERY original component. That's the tricky part. It's only after that part of the discussion, that they look at alternative approaches... still knowing that they can sell every mic they make on a re-issue.

Now I don't consider that an ego thing, but rather that they pretty much know what they're doing and are completely aware of what "the rest of us" are yakking about between ourselves.

Christopher did say, "the clone makers can do whatever they want". Which I took to mean that Neumann is pretty sure that only they have the ability to do a sell-out run (or runs) when they do these sporadic re-issues.

On an aside, he only said u47 reissue to me. I presumed he meant tube. Is an fet u47 reissue considered to be an absolute trash idea here at the masses?
Trp
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➡️
That's actually not true. Christopher and the other Germany/Austria or whatever guy I was speaking with in the Neumann booth are both regular mic-savy guys who are well aware of u67 Gearslutz threads and the moanings and whinings for mics such as the u67.
We will see... Neumann/Sennheiser is not a small Boutique company. Producing mics to a price point has served them well financially while building the best possible mics has put them into trouble.

If you want a u67 just buy one. It´s easy to buy them and it´s easy to have them serviced. And the prices have not gone up over the last couple of years. Do you think manufacturing them again to exact specs would make them considerably cheaper? Plus a lot of the potential buyers already own U67s or M269s.

I am talking about U67s, not U47s.
📝 Reply