Quantcast
1/4" jack install - Converting amp to speaker cab. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1/4" jack install - Converting amp to speaker cab.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
1/4" jack install - Converting amp to speaker cab.

Hi all, I'm modifying an old Peavey Bandit combo amp - basically the amp has died - but I've removed the amp but I want to use the remaining speaker and make it a 12" guitar cab.

Regarding the jacks: Could I use/wire the same 1/4" Jack mechanisms that used to be the line and instrument level inputs and put them into a jack plate that accepts the output from an amp head?

So: Are 1/4" jacks made for power amp signal different from 1/4" jacks made for instrument input - or can they be used interchangeably?

Appreciate any responses.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Standard Switchcraft 1/4" mono jacks will be the same regardless of application. But if you're talking about the 1/4" jacks on the front on your amp, depending on era of the Bandit, will not be standard Switchcraft type jacks. They only cost a few bucks retail so why not just grab one a local music store?
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgansound โžก๏ธ
Standard Switchcraft 1/4" mono jacks will be the same regardless of application. But if you're talking about the 1/4" jacks on the front on your amp, depending on era of the Bandit, will not be standard Switchcraft type jacks. They only cost a few bucks retail so why not just grab one a local music store?
madgansound, thanks for reply.

I've got 5 of the jacks in the non-functional amp right here in front of me and was going to scavenge them as well as save a trip. They look just like the jacks I've seen on the back of my other speaker cabs, but I mainly was wanting to make sure there wasn't a special build for low level signals vs. power amp signals. I didn't want them shorting/arcing/"burning through" if that was a risk w/ higher current.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Problem you will likely have is those jacks will be PCB mount,and not panel mount with solder tags.

Probably wont be able to easily reuse them. Just grab a panel mount jack from RadioShack or Fry's... Easy!
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draytone โžก๏ธ
Problem you will likely have is those jacks will be PCB mount,and not panel mount with solder tags.

Probably wont be able to easily reuse them. Just grab a panel mount jack from RadioShack or Fry's... Easy!
Thanks Draytone - Luckily these are actually panel mount (not PCB). Amp is a mid 80s Bandit. Just unscrew the hex nut, snip or desolder the wires, and pull them out. I'm not exactly flush with cash and have more time to piddle than your average Joe. I was actually going to desolder the pots too, but those babies are in there good and my iron isn't the best in the world.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Pots are a funny one. You want an iron that can get a lot of heat in there quick as to not damage the pot itself.

Sounds like you are all over it!
Good luck!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…