Quantcast
MS16 1" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MS16 1"
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
MS16 1"

So I browsing through the craigslists, and stumbled upon this. http://chicago.***************/nwc/msg/3555167440.html
Does anyone recommend it, what do ya'll think about this machine. From the little bit of research I've done it seems to be a pretty good machine, plus it seems like a decent price. Does anyone know how often these go up for sale?

(Gearslutz seems to be blocking the url so i'll just post what the seller says, by the way it costs 750.)

Time to part with my analog gear. I am the 2nd owner of this Tascam MS16 1" reel to reel recorder. It runs at 15ips & 30ips (I think). It comes with a AQ65 Remote Transport control, 5 reels of used tape and an owners tech manual. I'll even through in the 20' 16 channel xlr-xlr snake. When I bought this machine a few years ago, there was 80% head life left. I did ONE project on it. It has seen very minimal use and works great. I did have a little trouble getting tracks 2 & 16 to sync when overdubbing. My book says it's a stuck relay. I have never tried to resolve the issue, I just recorded on those tracks last. No biggie. All of the rubber and pinch rollers are in great shape. I have taken very good care of this baby!!
I have 5 reels of 1" USED Ampex 456 tape that I bought from a guy that used the tape for ONE PASS phone logging. I have only used ONE (partially) tape. It sounds GREAT! Every time I threaten to sell this behemoth, I put on that tape and when the drums kick in, I realize why I bought it in the first place! The drums sound FANTASTIC! So does everything else! I would rate this machine in Good to Excellent condition. It is HEAVY...REAL HEAVY!! Local pickup/delivery only. I can help deliver it, but we'll have to work out some kind of delivery deal, if you aren't in the area. You won't be disappointed with this recorder. It's awesome and everything looks and sounds great. Email me if you want more info or have any concerns.
My price is fairly FIRM. NO TRADES PLEASE. Cash only. This is a great chance to own a terrific analog multi-track recorder at a great price
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
MX-16

I have owned an MS16, and have owned a STUDER A827 and Otari MX-80
The Tascam MS-16 is sturdy and good sounding "tape" machine . Has good sounding electronics.( No need to use the DBX noise reduction) Just make sure the motors are working......run it through its paces before buying. and KNOW that you will by paying big money for tape. I bought a 1" reel RMG and it cost $170.00 I see them on craigslist a couple of times a year or so
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an ATR 60 16/1. It's very tapey sounding, which in conjunction with daw is probably a good thing. It does sound very good with 456, better to me than +9 tapes. I wouldn't want to be stuck with it all the time though.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The ms16 actually has better low end response than the later atr 1" series. The ms16 shipped to the US in 15ips only.. you can get inside to change the circuitry ( a little soldering required) to change to 30ips... or .. you can even create a diy switch to switch between 15 and 30.. BUT ... at 30, the ms16 loses so much low end that the resulting sound basically .. sucks.

Hence.. leave it at 15ips as it was from the factory.

Contact Teac Montebello to find out if they still have parts kits, especially heads.. which they did as of last summer as I recall.

IMO, the ms16 was sort of the peak 1" 16 track machine that Tascam came up with. It syncs great, has great i/o capability, rugged transport, etc etc.

At this point in time, I'd actually opt for a 2" 24 track Tascam atr80 if you can find one at a similar price. But, the ms16 was very nice. I remember the days when bigger Guitar Centers had two or three of them right on the sales floor next to keyboards... haha.
📝 Reply