Other Degrees for Success? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Other Degrees for Success?
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowood101 ➡️
I have no quick fixes or answers and I am under no delusion that I am doing much. But I try to be as vocal as possible and try to not give my money to large companies that support these sites.

The one thing I have found that can be easily done is changing attitudes of friends and family members.
Off topic, but this is excellent advice, thanks Arrowood I think if everyone focuses on what they can do individually to influence those around them, we can make a lot of progress. Small individual actions can make a big difference.
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm confused. You say you want to be "making music", but you're talking about a bunch of blue collar jobs and 100 hours a week doing weird things unrelated to even remotely being an artist.

Given infinite resources and all, what would you do?

That is what you should be doing. Not beating around the bush, with some silly tech job or crew job. Not to put down anyone, but it sounds like you are struck with poverty consciousness, and not thinking clearly. What is this obsession with jobs? Are you sure you even want to work with other people? If you are young enough now without any grave commitments, you can design your life so that you will never have to work for other people.

Again, it's very difficult to help you until you answer the question, what would you do if you money were no object?

Get this message:
http://zenpencils.com/comic/98-alan-...was-no-object/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_cGjQSR80

Cheers,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh P ➡️
I thought that my passion, drive, and dedication to music and engineering would be the key...there are other factors at work.
Don't under estimate those traits,because those are the exact traits that will keep you in demand. Look,very few people are making the kind of money that they used to in the entertainment industry in general,but these traits will keep making you strive to be a better/well rounded player/engineer and soon enough others in the industry will know that you are the "real deal",and not some poser who is just trying get your 15 minutes.

Me,personally,I don't see why musicians get hung up doing cover gigs or whatever to make ends meet. IF I played guitar or kys AND had a half way decent voice,I'd be doing solo gigs ALL the time because that would give me a lot more freedom to pursue all of the marketing crap that goes along with trying to get a record deal or songs placed with publishers,etc. I personally know a few solo artists that do just that and make$250-$300 a GIG!!! Not bad,and they work 2-3 nights a week and......voila,they have lotsa time to write and TRY to get publishing and songs placed. Some have done okay,others not so much.

However,back to my original sentiment....passion,drive,and dedication WILL keep you at the top of the working man's list. At least that's how it's been in my experience.

fb
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy ➡️
and soon enough others in the industry will know that you are the "real deal",and not some poser who is just trying get your 15 minutes.
I agree about developing a reputation. But, in my experience, and the experience of watching others searching out these same types of goals, this has taken on average about 10+ years in the past. I do not know how long it will take in the future. My guess is significantly longer as "real" opportunities are fewer and further between, but I could be wrong, and of course each person's experience is unique, but like I say, I think 10 years is the average for someone that is driven, talented, won't take no for an answer, and is dedicated to surviving.

If you cannot survive on virtually nothing (sadly, the going rate for those entering the biz these days) for 10+ years so that you can then start the climb, you will not make it. It takes that long just to enter "the game".

If your wife/gf demands more of you, if your lifestyle demands more, if your kids demand more, if your parents or family demands more, if your day gig demands more, if your psyche demands more of you, you will not make it 10+ years to PROVE you are the real deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well drbill,I see your point,however money IS relative to a person's age and need,IMO,and I know plenty of young players who are good enough to even take advantage of my "solo artist" scheme and if they can start now,I do not believe that it take as long as you say. Now,I think it really depends on your market and the cost of living of where one lives and a whole bunch of other things,but I think that because of social networking and the like,that it is possible to get a good,or bad reputation much more quickly than it used to be,but that's my opinion.

Life is full of many decisions and I think monsieur x makes a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur x ➡️
If you are young enough now without any grave commitments, you can design your life so that you will never have to work for other people.

Again, it's very difficult to help you until you answer the question, what would you do if you money were no object?

Cheers,
The harsh reality is that it is difficult to have it all no matter what your chosen profession.

fb
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I found some artist i believed in and recorded and produced a great final product and hope to ride the wave up while honing in all my skills and working a day job to keep myself pearning an income for used gear and a roof.

And if the dream ends you've got the day job.

I let you know how this goes in a couple of years... Haha I'm about 5 years into this plan with three kids and a own a pro audio business for the day job. I feel like I'm on the last section of this plan before I break into some success . I've got 150 grand into the studio and quit taking paid gigs the first year because I was loosing passion recording people that were half A$$. The great artist I knew couldn't afford me and so here I am working for free for now.

"There is a time for sowing and a time for reaping" GOD
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What teenagers think a life in "audio production" entails:
I'll get to freely exercise my creativity, communicate my personal artistic vision, work at my own pace, in cool settings with cool gear, probably meet famous people and very possibly become wealthy and famous myself.

What it appears you actually have to do to make a living in "audio production":
Offer Pro Tools instruction, DVD tutorials, Skype coaching, web design, flyer design, remote recording for corporate gigs, social media promotion packages, instrument tracking services, reamping services, sample collections, remote mixing, rent space for live performance/filming/events, dump huge batches of tiresome generic background music into massive anonymous vaults of crap to be picked out and licensed for ever-declining rates of payment, continuously go back and re-edit pieces when your clueless clients waver back and forth, continuously lower the threshold of acceptable clientele because you need the money, and work on voice over, jingles, and things that have only the most distant relation to whatever music you personally consider to be cool.

What you should strongly consider:
Getting a "normal" college degree. You will get a good paying job, land a decent looking wife, have kids, feel good about who you are, and best of all, be able to afford pretty much any gear you want.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➡️
What you should strongly consider:
Getting a "normal" college degree. You will get a good paying job, land a decent looking wife, have kids, feel good about who you are, and best of all, be able to afford pretty much any gear you want.

You sure do presume a LOT!

fb
📝 Reply