Tips and tricks to give that vocal a bit of shine - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tips and tricks to give that vocal a bit of shine
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Tips and tricks to give that vocal a bit of shine

Im really happy with my mix.
And after upgrading my gear (vocal chain) and investing in some new plugins and spending allot of time moving mics around, recording take after take and making small tweaks to hardware etc I am really getting close to my vocals sounding how I want them to.

They sound fantastic relay rich, thick and warm.
BUT... something is missing, its just that little sparkle or shine that they need.
Im not sure if its EQ or Reverb.. I think its both.
I have tried to end my pluggin chain with some extra high shelf EQ to boost the highs. I have tried playing around with reverb (witch is the process of engineering I admittedly know least about.. find it all very complicated to be honest.. and hard to get it right)

Im so close, please help me put the icing on the cake.

Weather it be some actual start off settings for reverb that I could try out and play around with.

or some other tips or tricks to help get me ther.

Thanx

Or
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Are you double tracking them?
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
Are you double tracking them?
I got a parallel compression going on... but not actually stacked 2 tracks.
Just the one.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Double tracking is a pretty common way of adding sparkle and life to a vocal. Parallel compressoin won't do that since the two parts are exactly the same. It's the small differences in a tight (but never perfect) double part that make it work.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use the UA Pultec plug with a little 16k boost for some instant sparkle
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Aural Exciter

EnvoyΓ© depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanx guys.

Dean, Im recording fast rap verses..
I find it hard to get it right spot on.. and maybe im mixing in to much of the double take.. but I dont really find that kind of "pac" vocal sound pleasing.. maybe I am doing it wrong?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
try gentle top end boost
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
+1 Aural Exciter

but as a send and not insert,does magic
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread ➑️
Thanx guys.

Dean, Im recording fast rap verses..
I find it hard to get it right spot on.. and maybe im mixing in to much of the double take.. but I dont really find that kind of "pac" vocal sound pleasing.. maybe I am doing it wrong?
That would certainly make it a lot harder.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That would certainly make it a lot harder.
I've heard it done a few times, though. It's interesting. But probably not worth it unless you can really nail it. (Worth experimenting, perhaps.)

I recommend trying an exciter/overtone 'enhancer' like others. It gives more edge and definition if you get it right. Of course, not for everything. (And easy to abuse, particularly, it seems, by people with their first exciter/enhancer.)
Old 25th January 2013
nas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try a plate reverb with a fairly high diffusion setting. It will give you some of that splashiness and brightness...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Read up about tips and tricks with background vocals and stacking vocals. It's tuff but it can really make a track. I couldn't imagine never stacking vocals on any tracks just because I didn't know how to stack em.

Also eq and reverb is great but compression can also make the vocal shine as well, especially in rap vocals. A fast release can really give a dry vocal some edge. Can add some compression on the reverb as well and really give the verb so clarity and sparkle. Also might want to check to make sure the vocals aren't fighting for the highend. If there is other instrumentals that are taking up the high end the vocal may sound good solo but once laid on too of everything just sounds mushy and baried in the rest of the highend content.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Double tracking is a pretty common way of adding sparkle and life to a vocal. Parallel compressoin won't do that since the two parts are exactly the same. It's the small differences in a tight (but never perfect) double part that make it work.

Hi Dean,

With all due respect. Have to disagree on the Parallel compression statement. While double tracking is a good method for adding life to a vocal track, it's not always what the song needs. Parallel compression is an extremely powerful tool when used right. The key to parallel compression with vocals is to EQ the parallel compressed track different and in an extreme fashion. You don't need the full frequencies for this just the ones you are trying to bolster. PSP has a plugin I really like for this called Vintage Warmer but really you could do the sparkle thing with any old EQ and comp combination.

The other thing I find that can do this is to blend two vastly different reverbs together but don't go heavy handed on either. Solo the FX return and just listen to the verb. Go through some presets until you find the right sound as far as high frequencies and lows are concerned. Ideally you want to get the sparkling highs from one of the verbs and get natural lows from the other. Blend together to taste. It makes the verb more dense and shimmery doing it this way. Of course you can bypass all this trickery if you've got a 480L or an M7 but that's another discussion...

I wouldn't recommend this on fast rap but when I'm working on slower paced songs I like to add a delay and filter off most of the lows and a good bit of the highs until the delay (with just one slap) is tucked in way under the lead barely audible. Add a totally different reverb to the delay with a nice sized pre-delay. I like to choose something outlandish for this that has lots of wash and sparkle. This track gets tucked in way underneath so it doesn't matter how unrealistic the verb sounds as long as it's 'exaggerated excitement'.

Worth a try...
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
True, I was probably speaking too absolutely.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
True, I was probably speaking too absolutely.

You're a good guy Dean. I love your posts by the way. They always make my day (the humorous ones).
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Or distorsion :D.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread ➑️
...I have tried playing around with reverb (witch is the process of engineering I admittedly know least about.. find it all very complicated to be honest.. and hard to get it right)...
Depends on the sound you're going for, but using a PLATE reverb on a vocal really has that "sweet spot" sound that are on so many hits. A short plate setting for your plug-in will most-likely be the setting you want to start with and tweak from there. The Lexicon plugs sound really good, but I've also had many happy clients using the IK Multimedia CSR which are really affordable. It's good to get into the advanced controls and adjust the reflections and filters to get the right amount of reverb that you're looking to add.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
split the lead to a second track
HPF up to about 7-8k
squash the bejebus out of it
blend as required
Old 20th June 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Usually my vocal channel:
1. EQ
2. Waves CLA Vocals to give it brightness and that pop shine
3. multiband distortion on the high end to give it crisp
4. de-esser
5. compressor OR multiband compressor
Old 20th June 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
try Slate revival...
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dolby "stressor" in parallel
-or-
EQP1A boost @ 12k or 16k
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Take a copy of the vocal track, highpass it pretty high (above 1k or more), pass it through a fast and aggressive compressor, de-ess the obnoxious frequencies with a narrow band.
You can now just add this under the main voc. track, enough to give it a lift.
Also, try sending it to a widening pitch shifter or a very small room reverb, to give it some dimension.
The point is to keep things so low-key that they don't jump at you like an "effect", but you'd definitely notice if they were turned off.
Old 28th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarKatz ➑️
+1 Aural Exciter

but as a send and not insert,does magic
What's the difference? What advantages are there to send rather then just insert it?
πŸ“ Reply