Quantcast
Guys with glasses: comfortable mixing headphones? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guys with glasses: comfortable mixing headphones?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Guys with glasses: comfortable mixing headphones?

Hi, I have the AKG K240 mkII, but think the image is not very detailed enough for mixing. Yes I know, mixing on headphones is anything but ideal, but I'm have to depend on it very often.

I heard good things about Beyerdynamic, but I can't wear them. Whenever I tried them in a shop, I felt unwell with them right after they sat on my head.
They feel quite heavy.. or hard..

So I wonder if there are others here who wear glasses and found a headphone they can wear over a long period of time and have good mixing experiences with?

Budget is 300 EUR max
and yes, it should be an upgrade from my AKG K240 mkII.
Old 24th January 2013
I have those and the closed back K271 MKII... have to say the closed back K271 mkII are way more detailed in the mid highs, with tighter bass response, and I'd definitely consider them a viable upgrade.

I would say, as a word of caution though, that if you were using them as your main/only mix reference then you might end up over emphasizing the bass compared to what you might do wearing other brands.

I also wear glasses and I've had no problem wearing them for a full day of sound recording.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah I had them before I think, are they the ones that turn off automatically when you don't wear them? That didn't work well for me before so I returned them, but it might have been a bad day product...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ATH-M50s
Old 25th January 2013
PMF
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Beyer Dynamic DT-770's and 990's....
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
as said... I don't like the feel of Beyerdynamic on my head. They give me a headache for some reason... sadly.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try a pair of Grados with upgraded ear pads. Pretty comfortable when I have my glasses on.

I agree on the Beyers - I like the sound of them but they are too right to wear with glasses.

-Mike
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I use Sennheiser HD 25 sp (less expensive than HD 25) and I love the sound.
No problems with my glasses, I only feel the top of my head, just a bit after a long time.

I bought them for about 100 euro. Replacable parts.
I bought them in a shop cause I wanted to hear before buying (just like the monitors).
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The most comfortable cans for me (with glasses) are the Sennheiser HD650 – might be a bit over the €300 budget.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks... looking at the mentioned ATH50 now, looks like what I could be after.
Sennheisers are on my list as well, will head to the shop now and test whatever I can find.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For me the ATH M50 are not as comfortable as the Beyer's. They are much heavier on the top of my head. The M50's are closed and the 240's are open so the image detail is greater on the 240's. I own the 240M 600 ohm and in my opinion they are more comfy and better than the M50's.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just went home with AKG K701. They didn't have a lot of headphones to choose from, and I thought these are very good to wear, and had raving reviews on the internet as well. Gonna unbox now!
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaserxyz ➑️
For me the ATH M50 are not as comfortable as the Beyer's. They are much heavier on the top of my head. The M50's are closed and the 240's are open so the image detail is greater on the 240's. I own the 240M 600 ohm and in my opinion they are more comfy and better than the M50's.
I wear muffs at work a lot, so I guess I'm used to the weight.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble ➑️
The most comfortable cans for me (with glasses) are the Sennheiser HD650 – might be a bit over the €300 budget.
This.

I've got the 600's (which are very similar) at work and they're very comfortable. Even the 280's aren't bad, though a brand new pair is a little stiff and the cable is heavier than it ought to be.

-Dan.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Crap.
Just just got a new glasses and ATH-M50 is not comfortable anymore!

My previous (on avatar photo) was a COUR CARRE 0591, with dimensions – 52x16 140.
New frame is RB 5225 – 54x17 145.

So experience with particular model of headphones depends on how close the frame width is related to your skull width. Lol, quite obvious.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I wear glasses - the Sennheiser HD 800 are very comfortable, as are also the HD 700, 650 and 600.

The closed HD 25 are also comfortable (though I have replaced the leatherette earpads with the velour ones - I have had the HD 25 for 23 or 24 years now and still find them comfortable.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What I've noticed is not so much that one make/model of headphones is unwearable but that the fit from one pair of headphones to another makes all the difference. We have a lot of pairs of HD280s around here; some of them give me a headache after like 5 minutes and others I can sit for hours wearing them with no trouble. I don't know if the issue is material break-in or quality control or what. So my advice is try on more pairs of the headphones that sound good, maybe you can find a pair that fits well.
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangTumblyTumble ➑️
I've been using HD650s with my glasses on this morning. Didn't even notice they were there! You should be able to get them within 300 euros. If not, try the HD600.
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
The closed HD 25 are also comfortable.
I disagree. Love the sound, but I can't wear them for long, whatever earpads are used, as they tend to pinch my head a bit too hard. That's the thing about headphone recommendations. Everyone has a different size and shape of head!
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a pair of Grado 325's that work quite well for me.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My Grados (SR60 with stock pads - modified everything else though) have always felt pretty good, unless I already have a headache for whatever unrelated reason.

If I know I'm going to be spending a LOT of time working with headphones, I just go put in my contacts and take them out when I'm done. I know that isn't an option for everyone, but it's definitely the best solution.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hd 600 650s and shure 1440s are fine with glasses at least to me.
πŸ“ Reply