Quantcast
Ground buzz on rhodes fix? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ground buzz on rhodes fix?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ground buzz on rhodes fix?

I have an 88 key Rhodes at the studio with a pretty nasty ground buzz..

ive taken the top off to see if there was a way to macgyver a ground to it...

any thoughts or tips..much appreciated.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Mark I or Mark II? Suitcase or Stage? Are you going direct from the harp?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey, found this on GS last month an it works perfect.

Have you heard of the ebtech hum x?

Buy a replacement power plug, solder + to +, - to -. then buy 2 4001n (something similar to that) flip them so 1 is in each direction, twist them together, and solder that from ground wire to the jack.

Thats it. If it works, it saved you $70, if not it cost you 5 bucks and will come in handy killing a ground loop at some point in your studio.

Good luck!!!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thank you guys for the responses...

Its a Mark I stage.. so its a passive keyboard with no power...

I do have the Xhum plug, but it woulndt matter since its a ground issue on a passive keyboard.

thanks again and hope something comes up.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try the hum x on the preamp you are using?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 ➑️
thank you guys for the responses...

Its a Mark I stage.. so its a passive keyboard with no power...

I do have the Xhum plug, but it woulndt matter since its a ground issue on a passive keyboard.

thanks again and hope something comes up.
Well I'm not at home so I can't open up my Mark II, but I remember seeing the ground when I have taken the top off before. It is a pretty basic looking wire, that is screwed into the frame, if I recall. Did you check that out? Does it look like it's connected properly?

I would also try connecting a mono RCA jack directly through the harp. Not only will it sound better, but it will help you troubleshoot: You will know for sure that the extra noise is not coming from the pots/output section.

Also, are you sure that your power is clean? Maybe try a power conditioner? Are you using an amp or going direct?

I have gone through a similar thing lately, so I have had to address the same things.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks again for the replys..

my studio has very clean power so i know its not that... ill look inside and try the tap direct off the rca nipple..

thanks
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1) Check for a ground wire to the sustain damper release bar (the metal extruded piece that extends the width of the piano, under the harp assembly.

2) Rhodes pianos need a 1Mohm input impedance or higher, any lower and they get noisy

3) the wrong DI box will make a noisy piano signal and ruin the tone. I got good results with the Countryman Type 10. ART DIs and Radial J48s didn't work as well.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➑️
1) Check for a ground wire to the sustain damper release bar (the metal extruded piece that extends the width of the piano, under the harp assembly.

2) Rhodes pianos need a 1Mohm input impedance or higher, any lower and they get noisy

3) the wrong DI box will make a noisy piano signal and ruin the tone. I got good results with the Countryman Type 10. ART DIs and Radial J48s didn't work as well.
Ill look under the harp to see if its grounded correctly and I'll try it through an Avalon di.

Thanks for the tips
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
the wrong DI box will make a noisy piano signal and ruin the tone... Rhodes pianos need a 1Mohm input impedance or higher, any lower and they get noisy
This is good advice.

Simply saying "use a DI box" for a Rhodes isn't enough imho - in fact I don't think a DI box is what you want anyway if you're working with a Rhodes without a built-in preamp or connecting straight to the harp pickups.

I have a Suitcase 88 and I get cleaner and better sounding results running it straight into the DI/Instrument input of a decent valve pre-amp with a high impedance.

I'm saving for a UAD Solo 610 - anyone tried this combo?

Of course, one's first preference would always be to mic up the cabinet for that classic 70s Rhodes sound, but unfortunately my Suitcase got separated from it's bottom cab before I bought it. :(
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➑️
I'm saving for a UAD Solo 610 - anyone tried this combo?
Yeah, I have tried it with the Solo-610.

It's a little too muddy for my mixes. I prefer my TAB-V71 for tube, but I will usually go for the Vintech 573, and also run it through the transformer of the Purple Action for extra magic sauce.

These particular projects have been modern R&B and Hip-Hop, so the final mixes needed to sound really scooped. If I was doing a more "earthy" or "retro" thing, I might reach for the 610, or mic an amp.

These are all 1 mega ohm DIs, I am wondering if I can improve the SNR and sound quality by using a 10 mega ohm DI like the Countryman.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dont get me wrong, I love the 610.. just wouldnt ever use it on a rhodes... Its too smokey and cloudy sounding for it... This session is a full live band to 2inch so there will already be plenty of vibe...

ive used the rhodes here at my studio more times than i can count but i have this important session where the Rhodes player is a really well known guy and i didnt want any issues..

the avalon is a 3 mega ohm DI so that might be fine after i check the ground or the RED A Design.. ill have to try both...

when i get a second ill peak under the hood and see whats going on..
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK - thanks for the heads-up on the 610 guys.

I see a Lunchbox in my not-too-distant future somewhere so perhaps including a Vintech 573 in it for DI-ing my Rhodes might be just the ticket?

There's also this...

Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete ➑️
These are all 1 mega ohm DIs, I am wondering if I can improve the SNR and sound quality by using a 10 mega ohm DI like the Countryman.
That is exactly what I use - the Countryman Type 10.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That is exactly what I use - the Countryman Type 10.
Real MC, have you compared the sound of the Rhodes through the Type 10, with the Rhodes through another high-quality 1 mega ohm DI? In other words, is the 10 mega ohm input impedance overkill for a Rhodes?

I have seens others say something along the lines of "as long as you have 1 mega ohm or greater, you're OK".

Wonderring if I should pull the trigger on the Countryman.

Sent from my Droid
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete ➑️
Real MC, have you compared the sound of the Rhodes through the Type 10, with the Rhodes through another high-quality 1 mega ohm DI? In other words, is the 10 mega ohm input impedance overkill for a Rhodes?

I have seens others say something along the lines of "as long as you have 1 mega ohm or greater, you're OK".

Wonderring if I should pull the trigger on the Countryman.

Sent from my Droid
I tried my Radial J48 with 220K input impedance; the tone was pure but it didn't reduce the noise.

I didn't have a 1megohm DI in my arsenal, so I sprung for the Countryman.

FWIW, Rhodes used to recommend using "Input 1" on their guitar amps as it had a 1megohm input impedance. I tried this and the noise wasn't as bad, but I got way less noise with the Countryman.

Overkill? It never hurts to have high input impedance on DIs, esp on passive pickups like Rhodes. I'm an EE and this is what they teach you in the first year.
Old 28th October 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Skinny Pete Said

"I would also try connecting a mono RCA jack directly through the harp. Not only will it sound better, but it will help you troubleshoot: You will know for sure that the extra noise is not coming from the pots/output section."

I just got a 1971 FR last week. I have never really owned one. The buzz hazz been driving me crazzzy. I tried your tip of running straight out the RCA and yep. I'm sure my pods are bad and I already ordered new pods on Saturday. They should reach me on Thursday and I will be a happy camper. I will get back to the post so and let everyone know as it may be a help to the next poor slob like myself.

dante star
Old 29th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rhodes passive electronics are similar to electric guitar electronics. A 1 meg ohm input impedance and solid ground through out is pretty standard. And it may need to be rotated around to cancel some induced noise, like a single coiled guitar.
πŸ“ Reply