Quantcast
Digital input for Adam Audio S3X-H speakers -- better sound quality than analogue? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital input for Adam Audio S3X-H speakers -- better sound quality than analogue?
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Digital input for Adam Audio S3X-H speakers -- better sound quality than analogue?

Hi.

I have the option to get a digital input upgrade for my Adam Audio S3X-Hs.

I used to live in England and my speakers sat at Cimple solutions for FOUR MONTHS while they waited for the upgrade, to no avail. Adam Audio never bothered to respond to my emails either.

I live in Japan now, and the Japanese dealer has the boards.

I wanted to ask if there's any real point in me doing this. Can it possibly sound better?

I'm guessing that analogue will sound better because it's purer. And I'm guessing the only real reason you'd want a digital input is to reduce noise.

Any tech information would be appreciated, I have no freaking clue to be honest.

Thank you.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Depends on the quality of the D/A converters you are currently using vs. the quality of the D/A boards being installed.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander ➑️
Depends on the quality of the D/A converters you are currently using vs. the quality of the D/A boards being installed.
Ahh that's a very good question. An Apogee Symphony.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander ➑️
And who's to know how good the quality of the Adam boards are?

I can't work out why anyone would use the digital upgrade? I'm guessing just to reduce noise?

I wonder if the difference in quality is discernible?
Old 25th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Celibacy ➑️
Ahh that's a very good question. An Apogee Symphony.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.
Stick with the symphony. Where will your volume control be otherwise?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Stick with the symphony. Where will your volume control be otherwise?
Sorry, what I meant was, shall I connect my Symphony to the digital inputs of the speakers, or should I connect the Symphony to the analogue inputs of the speakers?

I can't work out why you'd choose digital over analogue, because it's two stages of D/A A/D (basically probably worsening the sound). I'm guessing it's just to reduce noise?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You have a symphony. Skip the digital upgrade. It would be more like a frustrating downgrade LOL
Old 25th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris ➑️
You have a symphony. Skip the digital upgrade. It would be more like a frustrating downgrade LOL
My thoughts exactly.

Like I said, where would you control the volume otherwise - digital attenuation? I really don't get the "digital monitors" thing.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris ➑️
Okay thanks for the info, makes sense to me.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
My thoughts exactly.

Like I said, where would you control the volume otherwise - digital attenuation? I really don't get the "digital monitors" thing.
The speakers are active and have volume controls on them I believe. Thanks for the reply.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Celibacy ➑️
The speakers are active and have volume controls on them I believe. Thanks for the reply.
You want to know where you will be attenuating the signal sent to the speakers for playback volume control, not initial setup( which is what the controls on the monitors are for).
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…