Quantcast
Using a stereo figure-8 ribbon mic (like an SF-12) in a very small, dead room? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using a stereo figure-8 ribbon mic (like an SF-12) in a very small, dead room?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Using a stereo figure-8 ribbon mic (like an SF-12) in a very small, dead room?

Soon I need to mic up a drum kit in a very small, dead room... very low ceiling. The good news is that the room seems to be trapped well with thick layers of rigid OC 703 fiberglass (which is way better than thin foam or no trapping at all etc).

Because the ceiling is low and there is not a lot of physical space to work with, I'm thinking about using a streamlined stereo mic for stereo overhead use which should be way easier to physically place than a pair of separate mics.

The Royer SF-12 looks interesting due to its physical shape and side-address configuration. I should be able to "wedge" this mic in just above the drums / cymbals, nearly against the low, bass trapped ceiling.... a lot easier than trying to fit a pair of front address mics which effectively might be "too tall" for the situation, etc.

My main question here... I know the SF-12 is a stereo figure-8... meaning that it'll be picking up from the rear just as much as its picking up from the front. (note, I'd prefer to go XY as opposed to MS unless there is a good reason to do otherwise).

The thing is, in the situation I will soon be dealing with, instead of the rear part of the figure8 mic facing the upper section of a big, beautiful, live room, high ceiling etc, with luscious decay, it will be facing a totally dead ceiling that is probably just 6" away (again, the ceiling is fully covered with about 6" of 703 trapping, should be totally dead).

So, for those who might have experience with this.... can I expect the rear part of the figure-8 patterns to simply not pick up any sound and not interfere with the front part of the patterns, thus yielding a super clean, clear, accurate hi-fi sound? OR might the rear part of the patterns possibly add excessive noise or other unwanted artifacts? (again, assuming that the ceiling is indeed totally dead with zero reflections)

I never tried using a figure 8 against a trapped wall before, with rear lobe facing the trapped wall. So, just not sure if this is something that can potentially work, or if it's considered a big no no.

Thanks!
📝 Reply