Video recording piano recitals with good sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Video recording piano recitals with good sound
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Video recording piano recitals with good sound

Hi,

I record my son's piano playing a lot. I currently have a Canon M40 camcorder with an external Canon DM-100 microphone on top of the camcorder. I am happy with the video quality. But I really want to improve the sound quality to professional grade.

Let us say the budget is not an issue. But I really do not want to do any editing, say sync the video and audio. I hope I can set up the entire thing and I only need to press a few power buttons and the recording button on the camcorder. Then I have a complete file with good sound in the memory of the camcorder.

Someone told me that I should get Earthworks PM40 and then use Roland R44 to record the sound in case that I need to make an audio CD for audition purpose. That person told me that the connection between Earthworks and Roland is strightforward. Can this setup connect to my existing camcorder and have the sound also stored in the camcorder's memory? If so, how to connect Roland to the camcorder? If not, what camcorder should I get to accomplish this task?

In addition, is there another setup that is also very easy to use but have a higher value/price ratio than the Earthwords+Roland combo?

Thanks a lot for helping.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The sound systems in almost all consumer camcorders is pretty bad.

Better to get one of the stand-alone recorders (one of the Zoom H-series might be good start) and then replace the audio in the video later when you edit it.
📝 Reply