Mic an Upright & Grand Piano on a $600 Budget - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic an Upright & Grand Piano on a $600 Budget
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mic an Upright & Grand Piano on a $600 Budget

Hello!

Well. The topic line says it all. A girlfriend of mine and I have been playing/singing at weddings and other events for a little over a year now. She's trying to start a YouTube channel and I would like to start recording myself and my dad playing for genealogical purposes.

Since its something I would like to do as a future hobby, I want to know if there are just two mics out there I could buy to take care of my piano recording needs. My piano is an old Mason and Hamlin upright grand (1920s) that was given a beauty lift in 2000 with walnut veneer and new keys. It came in to my posession for a mere $200 last year :D I just had the original action rebuilt (the pads were completely worn flat) and countless dead keys repaired and it is now an absolute joy to play.

However, I also rent out our local Steinway hall here in Alpharetta GA every 6 months for recitals and would love to start recording the kids, so it would be nice if whatever I buy to record on my piano with would also translate to a grand as well.

Is this possible on a $600 budget? I am happy with used and I have access to boom stands, cables, mixers, etc from my bro-in-law. I just need the mics

Thank you thank you for the help!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have used Peluso CEMC6s as a spaced pair on grand piano with success in the past. They run about $650/pair new.

Used Beyer MC930s would be very good, but might outreach your budget a little.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Considering we are making the jump from a single $75 USB mic (don't ask me how our 'promo' recordings have helped us!), your first suggestion looks great!

Amazon.com: Peluso CEMC6 Solid State Microphone Stereo Kit: Musical Instruments

I am also upgrading my DSLR, so I don't want to completely shock my bank account

Would those work for female vocals by chance?

...and what are your thoughts on used?

Mic an Upright & Grand Piano on a 0 Budgethttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Peluso-CEMC-...item2ec5638326
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
http://atlanta.***************/atl/ele/3564799253.html

Just found a bluebird mic for $175- pretty ok vocal mic for a little budget?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
might be able to find a pair of AT4050's used for that price. Good for piano and voice, and just about anything else. AT4040's are also good for less money.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Look into Line Audio CM3 and OM1. There are some demo recordings of them over in the remote recording forum. They sound very, very good on piano and won't break the bank.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Bluebird is a well built, Chinese LDC. I thought it a tiny bit harsh, but you can mod it fairly easily if you're that way inclined. I use a pair of Oktava mics for our pianos: a single unmodded MK219 on the grand and a single MK012 on the smaller upright. They sound good out of the box, better modded with a better OT and are quite inexpensive on Ebay.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolliemonster ➑️
Considering we are making the jump from a single $75 USB mic (don't ask me how our 'promo' recordings have helped us!), your first suggestion looks great!

Amazon.com: Peluso CEMC6 Solid State Microphone Stereo Kit: Musical Instruments

I am also upgrading my DSLR, so I don't want to completely shock my bank account

Would those work for female vocals by chance?

...and what are your thoughts on used?

Mic an Upright & Grand Piano on a 0 BudgetPeluso Cemc 6 Dual Microphone Kit | eBay
That used set look okay, but you can get a pair new for $625 or thereabouts. Check SoundPure.com. Also, I think Frontendaudio.com has a 10% off sale for NAMM going on, so they are $611 shipped.

I would only use the cemc6s on acoustic instruments (piano, guitar, etc) but would NOT use them on female vocals. It will be too shrill. I thought you were buying to record piano.

If you need more multipurpose mics, I would suggest a pair of LDCs instead, so you could use one for vocals when needed. Best vocal mic for a low budget is a used Oktava MK319 (about $120). Great vocal mic.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For a budget pair of mics for piano, I'd look at the CAD M179. You can get a pair for $250 and still have money left over to get yourself a vocal mic.

CAD M179 | Microphones @ ZenProAudio.com
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Y'all are great! I have a lot to think about. Thank you so much- I'llread up and listen to some YouTube videos and go from there!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would recommend a pair of cascade fatheads. Have had great results on piano with them
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanlon ➑️
I would recommend a pair of cascade fatheads. Have had great results on piano with them
I have heard that ribbon mics are they way to go for pianos from a couple classical guys. My piano is in a 15 ft by 40 ft combined living room/dining room that is carpeted with vaulted ceilings. And when I rent the Steinway Gallery it is definitely a whole music hall. I am planning on upgrading to a baby grand once I find one I love as well.

My CL also has a matched pair of Oktava MC 012 01 Mic MC012 A.S.M. For $400. Seems like a great deal.

A pair of Cascade Fathead II are only $350 new, though.

Does this start to feel like buying trading cards?!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jazz ➑️
For a budget pair of mics for piano, I'd look at the CAD M179. You can get a pair for $250 and still have money left over to get yourself a vocal mic.

CAD M179 | Microphones @ ZenProAudio.com
These will definitely work well on piano. I use a pair of the older M177 (cardioid only) version and the multi-pattern 179 should be even more versatile.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Pair of AKG c3000's. Can't hurt to go into a nice portico or some variation of delicious pre.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolliemonster ➑️
I have heard that ribbon mics are they way to go for pianos from a couple classical guys. My piano is in a 15 ft by 40 ft combined living room/dining room that is carpeted with vaulted ceilings. And when I rent the Steinway Gallery it is definitely a whole music hall. I am planning on upgrading to a baby grand once I find one I love as well.

My CL also has a matched pair of Oktava MC 012 01 Mic MC012 A.S.M. For $400. Seems like a great deal.

A pair of Cascade Fathead II are only $350 new, though.

Does this start to feel like buying trading cards?!
YES it does. I have never tried Oktavas on Piano $400 seems a little high for them though. Have seen them on ebay and classifieds foe as little as $250 for a pair. Also want to check to make sure the are "real" Oktava... there are a bunch of counterfeit ones floating around. this link sound help out a bit with that:Oktava: Attention – Fakes | Fake Oktava MK-012 Photos

There are also the joly modded ones which again I have no experience but, people say is a pretty decent upgrade.

Sounds like you have the most important part of the chain... a great sounding piano
Old 31st January 2013
πŸ“ Reply