Quantcast
Akg q701 or Beyerdynamic 880 for mixing? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akg q701 or Beyerdynamic 880 for mixing?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Akg q701 or Beyerdynamic 880 for mixing?

Looking to upgrade from my audio-technica m50s which I love, to more detailed open mixing headphones. Im working in film score & prog rock, so looking for a versatile pair of cans. Looks like both the Akg q701 & beyerdynamic 880s go for around the same price. Which would you choose? Other options I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your help and reply. Very much appreciated, especially commenting on headphones which I'm sure gets very old!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't heard the DT880 but I know the DT770. The Q701 that I own for 2 years now is far more better sounding. More details, better stereo location and a balanced frequency spectrum espacially in the lows.

Some people say that it lacks low frequency. You might get this impression at first because of the lack of boomy bass but especially after around 20 hours of burn in time you get crisp and precise lows.

If you don't care about the green colored cable (or the entire headphone), you can get the K702.
This one is identical to the Q701 (information from a R&D guy of AKG).
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty ➡️
I haven't heard the DT880 but I know the DT770. The Q701 that I own for 2 years now is far more better sounding. More details, better stereo location and a balanced frequency spectrum espacially in the lows.

Some people say that it lacks low frequency. You might get this impression at first because of the lack of boomy bass but especially after around 20 hours of burn in time you get crisp and precise lows.

If you don't care about the green colored cable (or the entire headphone), you can get the K702.
This one is identical to the Q701 (information from a R&D guy of AKG).
I've listened to my friends q701s for 5min and loved them! Compared to my ath-m50s they had much more definition in seemingly all frequency ranges. I could hear details in mixes that i could not hear so easily in the m50s. Granted the bass isn't as pronounced, but I wasn't missing anything either. I just remember thinking "I could actually mix on these!"

Good to know about the k702s being the same headphone, but oddly enough i can find much better deals on the q701s online. ($100+ difference)!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I dont like the q701. I think the DT880 is WAAAAAAAY better.

but as always it has much to do with taste.

Just try out both dude! Also have a look at HD600/650(I prefer the 650 over every mentioned HP)

cheers
📝 Reply