An electric piano right for me - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
An electric piano right for me
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
An electric piano right for me

I am looking an electric piano and hoping you can help steer me in the right direction to suit my needs.

I'll be using to write and play songs normally played on an upright piano. I think 76 keys would be ideal, as it would save a little on weight, size, and cost. I have also been told the extra 12 keys in a full-size piano only add extra lower and higher notes. I am happy to get an 88 key if I have to.

It will need to be able to utilise Logic to get the piano sound I am after. I usually find I like the sound of an old, upright piano. As the sound will come from Logic, the quality of the pianos internal sound may not be important, but the action and accuracy of the keys should be. Also need to be able to change piano sounds instantly, even after recording.

I'll need to be able to fix up timing easily.

Hoping to spend less than $800.

Not sure if I need a 1/4" out. For live situations it needs to go through an interface, then my mac, then somehow get outputted through the PA. I hope that's possible?

That's all really. It is a bonus if there is any way to use it as a MIDI controller to act as a synthesizer. I believe this would require a mod & pitch-bend wheel though...

I haven't been able to get a straight answer on the difference between MIDI and USB-MIDI connections.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
bump
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You could check out a used Yamaha P90 or 80. Tough to fill for 800.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Leaning toward the Yamaha P-35. This is because it seems to have a good action to the keys, not many inbuilt sounds (i'll be using Logic for the sound), it's a minimum 76 keys, and comes in budget @ $520.

The only thing I am worried about is the lack of 1/4" out. How can I output the sound for a gig?

Any other suggestions?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Also looking at Yam P-105, and Casios CDP220, PX130 & PX150
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i bought the Korg SV-1 ..You should play it and see if you like it
http://www.youtube.com/user/kraftmus...%20sv1%20piano
Old 26th January 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
USB is preferable to the old DIN plug MIDI. Having both is the best - for when you need to drive older non-USB stuff. But modern USB stuff is faster since digital technology has come a long way since the 80's.

Consider this: if you choose to use the old MIDI ports, you will probably need to connect to your computer via a MIDI-to-USB interface; which means you have the latency of the old serial interface ADDED to the latency of the modern USB interface. Better to go direct with only one latency hit.

You DAW might have built in latency compensation for the USB device, but not for the MIDI device. Also, the USB latency is more likely to be fairly stable, whereas I have found old MIDI device latency to be very variable, especially choking on heavy clusters of notes, and this latency (or jitter) can be unscrambled with a simple shift of the whole track ... just sayin' ...

I would buy a weighted USB controller keyboard (won't need mod wheels), and a small synth action keyboard with mod wheels. Or to get started, just the very small keyboard. It's amazing what you can do with a small keyboard, and I find it more convenient. Depends on your style of course - I do pop/rock arrangements in many layers, so it's fine to break up parts and use a lot of editing. If you are trying to capture a full performance maybe you should consider buying a real piano instead ...
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
That's awesome advice, Kiwi.

I hadn't even looked at USB controllers, which is all I should need. I'll be using it for both studio and stage, and running all the sounds from Logic. I've hardly played piano, so the playing will mostly be simple stuff fitting into a mix, with the odd song containing just piano and vocals.

I haven't had any luck finding a USB controller that's right. I need something that has 76/88 weighted keys, USB Midi, and 1/4" or XLR out.

So while it has lots of great built-in sounds and might be a little more than I need, the Yam P-105 seems to be the best fit for my needs @ $800.

Any suggestions on a USB/Midi controller?
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm currently interested in either the Yamaha P105 or the Casio PX150 for using as a simple midi controller to play soft synth sounds and samples from within my DAW using Logic Pro but really cannot decide as I have read a lot of mixed views on the 2...

It is unfotunate that I don't live anywhere near a store to demo them..!

As they are both the same price, can anyone offer any advice on what they would choose for just keybed action out of the 2?..

Many Thanks,

Noodlez.
Old 15th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlez ➑️
I'm currently interested in either the Yamaha P105 or the Casio PX150 for using as a simple midi controller to play soft synth sounds and samples from within my DAW using Logic Pro but really cannot decide as I have read a lot of mixed views on the 2...

It is unfotunate that I don't live anywhere near a store to demo them..!

As they are both the same price, can anyone offer any advice on what they would choose for just keybed action out of the 2?..

Many Thanks,

Noodlez.
Anyone?..
Old 15th June 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Hey Noodlez, just to add to the confusion, I believe that the Yamaha P35 has the same GHS key bed as the P105.

Its cheaper and and has a very decent Keybed to use as a Midi Controller.

I think its limited in the amount of on board sounds it has and with polyphony etc, but this would not bean issue when using as a controller.

Just check the specs yourself first cos I'm going from memory.
Graham

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 15th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➑️
Hey Noodlez, just to add to the confusion, I believe that the Yamaha P35 has the same GHS key bed as the P105.

Its cheaper and and has a very decent Keybed to use as a Midi Controller.

I think its limited in the amount of on board sounds it has and with polyphony etc, but this would not bean issue when using as a controller.

Just check the specs yourself first cos I'm going from memory.
Graham

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Thank you for your advice

I was looking at the P35 too but noticed it didn't have a USB port which was a shame as it is a lot cheaper than the P105.

I have read a few reviews on the Yamaha and Casio which have favoured the Casio PX150 more because of its new Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action making it very realistic to an actual piano, so I'm leaning towards this one.

Just wish I could demo one
Old 15th June 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Yeah the Casio is very well received and a lot of folks do prefer it's action.
I too have read a few reviews where they were being compared head to head and the Casio does come out on top in most cases.

It has to be a PIA not being able to check em out in person though.

Graham
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This one runs and runs here, I've been on this case for ages now, and I still don't have an EP I've tried a few, the main ones. The Korg SV was horrible, thin hard sound, touch response wasn't anything to write home about, and that silly valve ? what's that all about ? It's just a trendy piece of jewellery. Nord Stage, not bad, OK sound, good keyboard action, but I'm not convinced of the Nord reputation for reliability. The Waldorf Zarenbourg, I tried that, it was terrible, build quality was a joke, the sound ?....nothing to write home about AT ALL. On the other hand, I tried the Roland RD700NX, now this was nice, very nice, the best sound SO FAR. And so playable, the Rhodes and Wurli sounds were just right, lovely and expressive, plus, you get Roland reliability, which is basically, the thing works and stays working ! So, I know this is all very personal, and my likes aren't going to be everyone's, but as a rough guide, I don't think my comments are that far out, TBQH. Oh yes, I tried the Yamaha Motif. with the Chick Corea sounds in it, not as good as the Roland, also a bit thin sounding, and unresponsive. So the Roland so far, is at the top of my list.

WB.
Old 17th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger ➑️
...The Korg SV was horrible, thin hard sound, touch response wasn't anything to write home about, and that silly valve ? what's that all about ? It's just a trendy piece of jewellery...
yep. the Korg SV-1 is the best electric piano emulator available. you don't get a lot of sounds, but one of the acoustic grands and 2 of the rhodes are awesome for solo or accompaniment playing. also a killer string pad called Full Strings. the amp simulator does a good job on the twin reverb sound to brighten the notes (but save the patch with it turned off or when you switch patches you'll get a big POP every time).

the problem with the SV-1 is it is intended to do ONE thing; live, performing elec.piano... no menus, etc. if you want double-duty as midi controller, multi-voice ROMpler, workstation, etc... you're gonna be disappointed; something by Nord, Roland, Yamaha, Casio, Kawai will do you better.

if it's only elec.piano, the SV-1 is more detailed in options and ease-of-use.
Old 17th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood ➑️
yep. the Korg SV-1 is the best electric piano emulator available. you don't get a lot of sounds, but one of the acoustic grands and 2 of the rhodes are awesome for solo or accompaniment playing. also a killer string pad called Full Strings. the amp simulator does a good job on the twin reverb sound to brighten the notes (but save the patch with it turned off or when you switch patches you'll get a big POP every time).

the problem with the SV-1 is it is intended to do ONE thing; live, performing elec.piano... no menus, etc. if you want double-duty as midi controller, multi-voice ROMpler, workstation, etc... you're gonna be disappointed; something by Nord, Roland, Yamaha, Casio, Kawai will do you better.

if it's only elec.piano, the SV-1 is more detailed in options and ease-of-use.

Er ? but "I" didn't like the SV ! simple as that, as I said, this is personal. The SV is nothing like a real Rhodes to me, in fact, why don't I just cut to the chase and say get a real Rhodes, it's a choice I' m rapidly coming around to myself.
The Nord Stage is very very good, to play, and the sound is very very close to a Rhodes, it's comfortable to play, and has a nice feel. My favourite Rhodes of all time was the MK5, none of the emulations come anywhere close to that one. So, I will probably end up paying a fortune for a real one, and then go on to spend more on keeping it maintained, but I will have something that will not loose value, something that will actually be "exactly" what I want, and something that will enable me to pretend to be Chic Corea after I've had a few beers. (note the use of the word "pretend")

WB.
Old 14th August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I haven't personally used this keyboard, but it seems that it would fit your needs and might be worth taking a look at. M-Audio Keystation 88es USB MIDI Keyboard Controller.

Hope this helps, play on!!!
Old 14th August 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger ➑️
This one runs and runs here, I've been on this case for ages now, and I still don't have an EP I've tried a few, the main ones. The Korg SV was horrible, thin hard sound, touch response wasn't anything to write home about, and that silly valve ? what's that all about ? It's just a trendy piece of jewellery. Nord Stage, not bad, OK sound, good keyboard action, but I'm not convinced of the Nord reputation for reliability. The Waldorf Zarenbourg, I tried that, it was terrible, build quality was a joke, the sound ?....nothing to write home about AT ALL. On the other hand, I tried the Roland RD700NX, now this was nice, very nice, the best sound SO FAR. And so playable, the Rhodes and Wurli sounds were just right, lovely and expressive, plus, you get Roland reliability, which is basically, the thing works and stays working ! So, I know this is all very personal, and my likes aren't going to be everyone's, but as a rough guide, I don't think my comments are that far out, TBQH. Oh yes, I tried the Yamaha Motif. with the Chick Corea sounds in it, not as good as the Roland, also a bit thin sounding, and unresponsive. So the Roland so far, is at the top of my list.

WB.
Roland has released a 64-key stage piano (RD-64) using similar technology to the RD700NX. Street price is $1k, not too far off from Jye's stated budget.

Sky
πŸ“ Reply