Quantcast
003 rack black lion mod nowadays - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
003 rack black lion mod nowadays
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
003 rack black lion mod nowadays

ok people..... I am a mixing engineer with meticulous hearing (20 years guitar player musician) .. My mixes sound good but I am never actually satisfied ....actually they sound very good (clients are happy)....but it really hurts when I compare them with my favorite records...

I just came from a listening test on a hd system 2.
I am very impressed with how it reveals what is behind (if you know what i mean) lovely stereo image, transparency and all that good stuff...

After that I am feeling a big urge to upgrade because I need this transparency to make my life easier while mixing..

Right now I have a 003 rack BL Signature Series Mod in my hands which is been sold in $1500 (accommodated to me so I can pay in like 4 months or so)

I like how it sounds comparing it with my 003 rack.
I am doing kind of an A/B test while listening to my favorite music... (swapping units take like 120 seconds ) so I hope I am not imagining the improvement, but that's another subject I think..

All I need to know is what would be your recommendations, should I go with the BL mod or should I wait and invest on something else??

My price range is actually lower than 1500 right now, but I Am going to pay in 5 months, so it is a pretty neat deal I believe

I just got a client who wants me to mix 15 songs in the next 2 months , so that's why I am maybe with the urge....

In case you need to know I also record drums, vocals and everything in my Rec Studio. I have 3 external preamps which are: Black Lion Auteur, FMR Audio RNP 8380, ART DPS II. My speakers are the HS 80M and I mix ITB.

I believe that the converters are the most important right now because of my mixing duty lately..
My room is very well treated and my skills are very good too.... so no worries about it....

Lets share some wisdom people.....

Thanks lovely people of this forum
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
wow no love to me
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You're kind of rambling, but basically your asking if you should buy the 003 BL Mod for $1,500?
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
You're kind of rambling, but basically your asking if you should buy the 003 BL Mod for $1,500?
ajajaja, sorry I have a terrible english sometimes

yeah sort of....and what would be other options for making my life easier while mixing.....
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does the moded 003 sound much better than your current setup?
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
Does the moded 003 sound much better than your current setup?
by just listening to a track I like, The modded 003 sounds kind of deeper...
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here's the main problem:

No matter how great the BLA mod sounds, the 003 is a discontinued unit that won't be supported past Protools 10. It may still work but there's no guarantee.

So I'm not sure that's the best use of $1500 right now. If you had the mod done a while back and had gotten usage out of it, that would be different. But I don't know if I would sink money into it now.

Depending on how much I/O you need, there may be alternatives that are more future-proof.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➑️
Here's the main problem:

No matter how great the BLA mod sounds, the 003 is a discontinued unit that won't be supported past Protools 10. It may still work but there's no guarantee.

So I'm not sure that's the best use of $1500 right now. If you had the mod done a while back and had gotten usage out of it, that would be different. But I don't know if I would sink money into it now.

Depending on how much I/O you need, there may be alternatives that are more future-proof.
hey thanks a lot bro...

I was kind of considering the same....

I think I will save some more money for a Lynx Aurora or a RME, or one of those that are expensive....

Thanks alot
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam ➑️
by just listening to a track I like, The modded 003 sounds kind of deeper...
I wouldn't spend $1,500 on "sounds kind of deeper" especially if I wasn't 100% sure I wasn't imagining it!

Also, modded 003 won't have much resale value, to be honest. You've got a 003 now? Find some high end D/A converters for monitoring, and a solid word clock. Your 003 doesn't have to hold you back from much more pristine audio on the front and back end.

Aric
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchijin2 ➑️
I wouldn't spend $1,500 on "sounds kind of deeper" especially if I wasn't 100% sure I wasn't imagining it!

Also, modded 003 won't have much resale value, to be honest. You've got a 003 now? Find some high end D/A converters for monitoring, and a solid word clock. Your 003 doesn't have to hold you back from much more pristine audio on the front and back end.

Aric
hey thanks Aric....

I will start researching... there's a lot of options of this department..

thanks
πŸ“ Reply