Quantcast
Best Method of Archiving Data? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Method of Archiving Data?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Best Method of Archiving Data?

So. I've been getting tons of audio data together, so I don't lose any more than I've already lost over the years, which is considerable, since I've been messing with hard disk digital since about '94. Anyone have thoughts on a best methods/platforms to archive this stuff? I've found a few drives that won't spin up, and found more than a few dvd/cd's that flat out won't mount. SSD's just aren't "there" yet...

I've taken to printing mixes on open reel tape more often lately, and often liking what I'm hearing more than the digital equivalent (ymmv!!! not trying to start a war!!!), but it seems a shame to take higher resolution audio and put on the noisier reels, but then it does sound pretty good...

Thoughts here?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
It sucks to try and keep data safe, no matter what medium it's stored in. The best solution is redundant storage on at least two sites, geographically separated and checked for accuracy on a regular basis (there isn't a problem with a drive not mounting if its detected before the other backup is corrupted, then replaced and the data recopied, the problem is taking the time to do this over and over and over...). This is the advantage of online storage, it's their problem to make sure it's secure. Unfortunately, until the apocalypse happens you have no way of knowing how good a job they're doing of keeping it secure.

Tape backup isn't effective because it's mechanical and sequential, so it takes a long time to error check and as data size grows it's really expensive to keep up. Removable media like DVDs share the same problems. I think a local RAID and a remote RAID (home and office) with hot swappable drives and a disciplined plan of backing up and comparing backups every week is your best bet (one of the online services can store one of your arrays for you). Does anyone know if there's software that does a good job of comparing files across the net?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yes, definetly keep a raid at the least. There should be three coppies of the data. The odds of all three going bad at once are unlikely.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the responses fellas!

Yikes. I suppose a mirrored raid would likely be an easy answer in this scenario, but unfortunately, I would like to have the data off the system entirely. Hence, the "archiving" nature of my meager query. I'm afraid if I put it on a drive, even a newer drive, there's a chance, in 7 years, if I go to get something, it may flat out not spin up. Same with mounting a dvd-rom. It's happened before.

Maybe I just get 32/64gb usb thumb drives? Is there some reason these may not be useable in the future? I mean, midi is still around and flourishing.. Any chance of USB going the way of firewire?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
USB should be there, but I would not trust the drives for that long. Best bet would be a NAS, netowkr attached storage, using a mirrored array. That way, you just swap out drives as they fail and the data is always there. You can also set up schedualed backups to take care of making sure it happens as well.

My reccomendation would be to get an old computer and roll your own, that way you don't have to worry about any possible propritary/encripted/weird file systems or anything (I am sure there are NASs that have them, then there are likely ones that use a standard one as well).

End result is that the files are backed up off system, on a dvice with multipul drives (so one dead drive doesn't screw you) and you will know as soon as any drives go dead, so you can replace it and have multipul backups again.

That said, I have drives from the early 90's that were stored properly and spin up no problem. But I would not trust them for long term archiveing like you said.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…