Microphone For Hip-Hop + RnB Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone For Hip-Hop + RnB Vocals
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Microphone For Hip-Hop + RnB Vocals

Hey,

Very typical question but I want to keep it short.
I have noticed that my vocals are very brittle, and too sharp. I am rather satisfied with my preamp, but I want to change my microphone. Any suggestions (with a reason or experience) would be much appreciated. I want something that makes my vocals sound larger than they are. Like drakes vocals, very clear, not annoying, but with a warm low end that enhances my vocals. But still with a mid-high end that isn't too sharp and forward but very clear and punchy. My budget is about $2k. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

Right now my setup is as follows:
"Rode NT2A" into a "Golden Age Pre-73" into an "M-audio Fast Track USB Interface" going straight into "Logic 9".

THE FIRST SONG ARE MY VOCALS

THE FIRST VERSE OF THE SECOND SONG IS THE SOUND IM LOOKING FOR.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. THIS IS VERY NEEDED.
Attached Files

LN.mp3 (9.24 MB, 51 views)

Number 15.mp3 (3.90 MB, 44 views)

Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blackspade um17r, although going into a fast track USB wouldn't yield the best results. Upgrade your interface too and you'll notice a big difference. Rme babyface would be cheapest upgrade
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
On the more low frequency flattering side I think you might like an SM7b (about $350), or an Electrovoice RE20 (about $450)

On the more natural sounding side I think you might like an Earthworks SR40 (about $1k).

Another mic to consider, that I find has a flattering sound, but isn't overly bright, is the CAD E100s (about $500).

I have extensively used the NT1a and it's a bit bright sounding. It's not terrible. But sometimes it just doesn't get along well with the source, as is the case, at some point, with almost all mics.
📝 Reply