Quantcast
Harrison Console - Would You Buy? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison Console - Would You Buy?
Old 23rd January 2013
Harrison Console - Would You Buy?

I good friend of mine has a Harrison Console from the mid 70's, once owned by Disk Makers, and prior to that housed in a studio in Chicago, where the Rolling Stones did some tracking on it. He wants to sell it. It hasn't been powered up in 5 years, sitting in a crate in storage in LIC NY. Would any of you guys who are seriously considering a console buy it? Especially if i told you there was no way of powering it up prior to purchase. What would you pay? Mind you, you know it's going to need some work, or who knows, could get lucky. He purchased the console for 14k i think about 10 years ago.

Thanks for any info or advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Harrison Console - Would You Buy?-1.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
$5k knowing that you may have to put another $5k back into it to get it operational.

Seriously though, there has to be electricity near by to check it out.
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted User
Boy, that's a tough one. Looks like it was "rode hard and put away wet", doesn't it?
I used to work in a commercial studio during the 80s that had a Harrison. Harrison was more of a broadcast production manufacturer, they dabbled in live SR boards and recording desks throughout the 70s and 80s.
It was a very well built console, designed to be used hard all day long. But it wasn't cheap to replace parts, and as it got older, that was the fare.
How much time and money are you willing to put into any attempt at restoring it?
It will need some sort of re-cap job, God-knows-what-else, it could easily be a real money pit.
$500, a bag of Maui Wowie and a 5th of Scotch...tell him he's lucky. In that condition...
Old 23rd January 2013
I had worked on this series back in the day. It was a bit finicky on a few channels, but most consoles were like this. I do remember it having a very definitive sound, and a good one at that.

It has been crated, and that's what you're seeing in the background, including a few pieces of wood or paper that fell out of the crate and onto the desk. I'm going to try and sell it for my bud, and i think i'll ask 6k and let the wheels spin from there.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I would absolutely buy that, but three things to keep in mind:

A) My son's name is Harrison
B) I've been drinking red wine for the last 3 hours
C) I don't have $5,000 to my name

Other than that, I'd be good to go.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm looking at that desk and thinking about the past 5 months and 7k I've sunk into the restoration of my 2824. Which is in the same vein but about half the size and features of the one pictured. That looks like a 3232. Mine was offline for that long and was built in 1979. To get this desk up I would see a PSU rebuild ($700) and at the very least a recap and rechip ($250 a module) and then comes the master section.. I'd say at least $1000 to get it right. And then you'll wanna rechip and cap the meter cards.. I can easily see 10k going into this console, and a few hundred man hours. I think in the end the person that buys this is gonna do it because they are passionate about old consoles and want to see it resurrected. Just like I felt when I saw my 2824 for the first time sitting in a basement. It been a long journey but I've learned a lot.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom ➑️
I would absolutely buy that, but three things to keep in mind:

A) My son's name is Harrison
B) I've been drinking red wine for the last 3 hours
C) I don't have $5,000 to my name

Other than that, I'd be good to go.
Hilarious
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I bought 2 Harrison's less than a year ago for 2800.
No complaints here.
They were bought by PTL back in the days, Jim Bakker, a guy owned them between PTL and me, I am the 3rd owner, I have a great tech .
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As is where they sit No way to power it up? 2k max ! Assume at least another 5k to get it up and running plus transport!
You have no Idea what this one is like and that's what we are talking about this one !
Cool thing about Harrison, they pretty much have document for everything they ever built , but they charge you for copying and it's not cheap! but worth every penny!
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek ➑️
As is where they sit No way to power it up? 2k max ! Assume at least another 5k to get it up and running plus transport!
You have no Idea what this one is like and that's what we are talking about this one !
Cool thing about Harrison, they pretty much have document for everything they ever built , but they charge you for copying and it's not cheap! but worth every penny!
yup 600 bucks
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sooo.. Has it sold?
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…