Quantcast
Altec 15095a problems - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altec 15095a problems
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Altec 15095a problems

Hi there, I'm using a 15095a is several projects as a 600 ohm output transformer. I'm very confused as to how it should be connected as a believe I have it correct but am getting incorrect outputs.

So, the can and any schematic on the Internet says that the signal should go into the pin 7 on the 15k side and pin 8 would be grounded. On the 600 ohm output side the pins 3 and 4 should be connected and balanced outputs should be taken from pins 1 and 6. Is this correct?

When I measure the outputs from pin 1 and pin 6, the voltages are not even close. Like one is 1volt and the other is like .4volts. My question is how can this be balanced and if run the outputs into a trs cord into an unbalanced piece of gear, should I be using the higher of the voltages on the tip instead of the ring? Or does it even matter?

Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
There should be no DC voltage on any of the pins. A 15095 is not a gapped design and will not handle DC.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey There, thanks for the reply. I guess what I am saying is that I send an AC audio signal into the transformer via 15k ohm pin 7 and the 600ohm pins 1 and 6 are uneven. Should they be even? This is not dc if that makes sense. Maybe I'm wrong...
Old 26th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm still wondering about this issue if anybody has any ideas about balanced signals coming off of this transformer.
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs787s ➑️
I'm still wondering about this issue if anybody has any ideas about balanced signals coming off of this transformer.
You may get more help here

Altec User's Board

or on the geekslutz forum here.

Geekslutz forum - Gearslutz.com
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs787s ➑️
I guess what I am saying is that I send an AC audio signal into the transformer via 15k ohm pin 7 and the 600ohm pins 1 and 6 are uneven. Should they be even?
The output taken from pins 1 and 6 is floating, not balanced.
Some research will shed light on the terminology.
Referenced to circuit common/ground, do not expect them to be the same.
The output will drive a balanced or unbalanced load just fine.
Old 27th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Makes sense, cause in the end, don't the two signals get added together after one is inverted? so it really doesn't matter if they are completely equal? Then the noise is rejected?

Thanks for your reply.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…