Quantcast
Quick question - acoustic materials/"rockwool" in australia? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick question - acoustic materials/"rockwool" in australia?
Old 23rd January 2013
Quick question - acoustic materials/"rockwool" in australia?

ok, so as most know, I'm no longer in London but am in Sydney....needing to do a bit of acoustic treatment to the spare room, but a little confused as to what the various products are called out here!

Anyone care to share what they made their bass traps/studio panelling out of? I'm looking at the Bunnings website, there seems to be about a million different types of "earthwool" slab...I'm guessing the higher the R value the better?

The same company appears to make a dedicated "sound control Batt" but I'm not sure if they sell those through Bunnings....

If anyone's got any recommendations, I'm all ears...thanks in advance!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i used tontine acoustisorb 3

i'm sure you'll be able to find the specs on their site
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
one thing about bunnings too, they have a special orders section that can get a lot of stuff they don't stock
Old 23rd January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersully ➑️
i used tontine acoustisorb 3

i'm sure you'll be able to find the specs on their site
Quote:
one thing about bunnings too, they have a special orders section that can get a lot of stuff they don't stock
Thanks for all that - I was aware of the Bunnings special order, so it had crossed my mind they'd be able to get the sound batts as well...

Cheers for that though - that's definitely one option I wasn't aware of.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Bradford Soundscreen here (cant remember which rating).
Specs arent as 'ideal' as other products, but did the job for me.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd beware of Bunning's as I know many on the John L Sayer Forum who had the "CAT PISS BRADFORD Acoustic" Smell.

I've seriously used Acoustisorb 3 and I know it's 100% recycled Slag free, Toxic free and Glass Fibre Free, as in Fletcher Insulation FI 48 or 98 kg M/3. You can set up a Pro Forma Account with Samantha (Sydney Rep) from Tontine in Melbourne head HQ!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought rockwool for my piano studio from these guys... it's rated 3.1

Independent Building Supplies 1300 662 554
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same........Lol....Though mine was yonks ago! They do have a Massive add and the guy charges 50$ for delivery! (Or did) I also got rolls of Acoustic junk that I've still not used up....actually I should have a clearance sale!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They seem like good guys.. the price was good too.

If it's loaded vinyl you're after, I just took delivery of 5 rolls from these guys...

Acoustics and Coatings soundproofing and noise insulation materials | sound materials, sound solutions
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nooooooooooooooo.............I've got 5 Rolls in the Back Garage! 4Kg & 6Kg & 8Kg
Arhhhhhhh!
LOl..............
Great Minds huh!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Damn!!! I should've called you. I know someone that will take them if you wanna sell them.

S
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually - You can use that Barrier mat like a Gobo by just building a Frame and letting the Air Hit the Barrier Mat and disperse.....Heavy **** when trying to make a One Man Flex Stand though, crikey my back was out for a month+!
J.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak ➑️
Damn!!! I should've called you. I know someone that will take them if you wanna sell them.

S
Crikey, I'll give them away if you want to crawl under the dead bodies, boxes, Bush-life (dead) failed acoustic gizmo's, snakes and assorted junk....you'll need a digger (though their in plastic), I've got a 4Kg Stashed in the Broom house cupboard thinking of it!
Private Studios - groovy - Nope!
Not when your start fiddling w/ Acoustics!
Lol.....!
J.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, that mightn't be fun..
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually I once bought extra Rock-wool on John Sayers - The dude dropped over rock-wooll that had gum-nuts and all flora native in it - I used it no problem, I just pray a massive branch hasn't appeared in my Control Room overnight!
Ha!

We all know them Stories!

[Edit] V/O Artist......Erm.....what the hell is growing out of your Left hand 8 Foot Panel.....That's freaky man, and you KNOW I loathe these really tight sounding rooms!

Yes......Mr Laws my humble apologies!
Mum........John Laws thinks he's with 2UE again, can you please call Bedford & Pearce......He says he's worth 2$K per Billboard......Mum.....John Laws, now has a much lower voice - WTF did you touch in the Studio, not the one marked H3000 - that's His!
Old 24th January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
I'm looking at the Bunnings website,...
Probably a mistake. I have always found their website to be worse than useless. Plenty of bad/wrong information, old information, missing information. I have found them not all that easy to deal with, in terms of finding what they can get for you. I usually go to the central warehouse for that city, and try to find senior staff, ex tradies etc to talk to, and they can make inquiries in their stock control software, and provide advice. I'm in Perth though; maybe Sydney stores are better.

Quote:
Good tip.

I also use Bunnings cutting service for frames and boards when building things. I may take one trip to see what materials are available, and make a rough sketch in store. Then draw a design in CAD at home. Fit the panels to available boards. Take some drawing equipment into a store, grab a big trolley, load up my materials, and draw my cuts on site. Then get the machine operator to go to work for me. Depending on what you're doing, can reduce your work a lot.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
Probably a mistake. I have always found their website to be worse than useless. Plenty of bad/wrong information, old information, missing information. I have found them not all that easy to deal with, in terms of finding what they can get for you. I usually go to the central warehouse for that city, and try to find senior staff, ex tradies etc to talk to, and they can make inquiries in their stock control software, and provide advice. I'm in Perth though; maybe Sydney stores are better.
yeah, I'm kind of with you there - having spent a fair amount of the last 6 months renovating (new kitchen, structural, bathroom, repaint house, garden etc!) I'm fairly intimate with the Bunnings stores!

Quote:
I also use Bunnings cutting service for frames and boards when building things. I may take one trip to see what materials are available, and make a rough sketch in store. Then draw a design in CAD at home. Fit the panels to available boards. Take some drawing equipment into a store, grab a big trolley, load up my materials, and draw my cuts on site. Then get the machine operator to go to work for me. Depending on what you're doing, can reduce your work a lot.
Yeah, that's do-able - although I do have a drop saw which is pretty good for small cuts, which is all I'd need to do to make frames for panels I think. I'm sure you'd be doing stuff a lot more complicated than I will!
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, that's do-able - although I do have a drop saw which is pretty good for small cuts, which is all I'd need to do to make frames for panels I think. I'm sure you'd be doing stuff a lot more complicated than I will!
If you have the tools, that's great. I found for cutting panels, it saved me a lot of time and effort. I try to factor in time for my DIY cost benefit analysis. I don't try for a great finish, and keep things simple. It just has to work, that's all.
Old 25th January 2013
Quote:
If you have the tools, that's great. I found for cutting panels, it saved me a lot of time and effort. I try to factor in time for my DIY cost benefit analysis. I don't try for a great finish, and keep things simple. It just has to work, that's all.
Long straight cuts - impossible without a bench saw. Anything a foot or less, I can do with the drop saw. I'm not planning on large panels, just frames...so hopefully I'll be ok!

A friend of the mother-in-law is a member of the chauvenistically named "men's shed" - a kind of collective workshop - which might be a last resort!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Long straight cuts - impossible without a bench saw. Anything a foot or less, I can do with the drop saw. I'm not planning on large panels, just frames...so hopefully I'll be ok!

A friend of the mother-in-law is a member of the chauvenistically named "men's shed" - a kind of collective workshop - which might be a last resort!
P-Monkey - those Men Sheds Rock, I helped set one up in Nth Sydney......Tooled to the Max, and the old boys of Nth Sydney/Kirrabilli Ex serviceman's Club, know their slam dunk joins as great mentors do! A well learned trip most encouraged! You'll be in Power Tool Paradise!
Just say "Acoustic's Chaps!" and Boom - You'll be 100% Fine!
Cheers
J.

Men's Sheds are great fore this stuff! Any Location!
Old 25th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte ➑️
P-Monkey - those Men Sheds Rock, I helped set one up in Nth Sydney......Tooled to the Max, and the old boys of Nth Sydney/Kirrabilli Ex serviceman's Club, know their slam dunk joins as great mentors do! A well learned trip most encouraged! You'll be in Power Tool Paradise!
Just say "Acoustic's Chaps!" and Boom - You'll be 100% Fine!
Cheers
J.

Men's Sheds are great fore this stuff! Any Location!
Haha it's northbridge the one I'm talking about! Not so far away...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do it Man.......them older Lad's sure have mean "Chop's...woodwork wise.....If you don't rock up...that's kinda being a dick....I mean they help you out, do say 10 Traps, cool....they might ask for an afternoon!
DO IT!
You'll love these Old Dudes Psycho Monkey. Though (Erm....Perhaps) don't tell them your GS Handle!
Lol......
You get what you Give - Simple!
Also, talk Rugby, Soccer, OZ Rules, 2nd WWII (If they bring it up....and PNG and Fall of Singapore)..... and you'll be close as!

Last edited by TheLastByte; 25th January 2013 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Advice on oldboy Talk!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…