Quantcast
What Should You Know Before Interning At A Studio? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Should You Know Before Interning At A Studio?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
What Should You Know Before Interning At A Studio?

I've been producing music on my own for 5 months and now i'm looking at interning at a studio. I'm willing to bust my ass and work hard but are there some basics I should know before interning or can I learn along the way?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At our studios it would be "" know thy system" ....inside and out & understand the DAW or analog system we employ.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There was a thread on this very recently - try the search function.
Cheers, Ross
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1. Know how to stay out of the way, while still being helpful

2. Attention to detail

3. Studio Etiquette

The bummer is though, these days a lot of the "bigger studios" will require you to be associated with a school.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I read the previous threads thanks guys.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If working (and/or interning) at a commercial studio the main
thing is to understand that studio work is;

20% technical
80% social skills

So prepare yourself with positive attitude towards doing millions of cups of delicious tea and/or coffee (depending where you're based), running out to pick up lunches(always remember to bring back receipts!), ordering dinners, cleaning, taking care everything possible including clients' children & pets, ordering whatever for whoever.., rolling up, etc.

Then you might get a chance to enter the wonderful world of soldering, organizing stocks/inventory, painting, doing construction work, lifting instruments & machinery, re-naming patchbays..

And the most important fact you should also seem 'invisible but ready' all the time. Never talk with engineers, producers and most definitely not with the clients unless they'll approach you. If someone will ask you whether you like the song? If you don't, it's better to say 'I'm loving the hihat' instead of admitting it's rubbish A good trick is also to have a roll of gaffer tape with you all the time showing you are active and on it instead of looking lazy and passive.

Don't worry, you'll love it if studio work is what you want.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Couple more thoughts.

- Know who at the studio you are targeting hires interns. Address cover letter and resume to them personally.

-Call back a couple days later "to make sure they received your resume." Basically just an excuse to be on the phone with whoever hires.

-If they aren't hiring ask if it's ok to check in again in a few months

-Learn how to be persistent but not annoying

- no typos in resume or cover letter, shows lack of attention to detail

- research studio before hand and know their gear and clients. Find a way to work these details into your cover letter
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ha and one more thing I just noticed. Don't talk too much about "the music you have produced." Generally I shy away from hiring interns that want to be producers over engineers. Also makes some people nervous (me included) that you will only be there only to hand out demo cds and such. Which generally will be the end of your internship.

Also get rid of any "silly" photos of you on the internet or what not. This should be obvious, but you would be surprised. I google every applicant I am considering and have tossed plenty off the list because of stupid stuff on the internet. Doubt I am the only one doing this.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Know the over/under cable wrapping technique.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…