M-audio Axiom 49 question ... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M-audio Axiom 49 question ...
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
M-audio Axiom 49 question ...

Hi!

I have an axiom 49 from about 2007 ... I'm wondering if the Axiom Pro is worthy for an upgrade? Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm a Protools user and my old (black) Axiom 49 had some faders broken off, so it (unbroken faders and Hypercontrol) was worth it for me.

As far as I can tell, it's basically the same controller, but with tighter DAW integration.

It has preloaded templates for the other DAW's too.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm more curious about 3rd party plugins/vst's than with DAWs itself ... Thoughts??
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
All my plugins map. No manual assignments needed.

When you're in the session, one of the softkeys lets you pull up any plugins inserted on the track you have selected.

Once pressed, a page of parameters for the plugin comes up on the controller's screen.

From there you can scroll through all the parameters, 8 a page, which are mapped to your virtual pots.

You can also "flip" faders, which puts the parameters on the faders instead of the pots.

Hell, now that I'm thinking about this, it might be a good upgrade for you.

Again, I use Protools, so I'm not sure if anything would be different, but it maps everything for me automatically (names of the plugins and parameters and all) with zero hassle, third party or not.

I clearly remember it being a hassle to do the same with my original Axiom 49.

I love it.

The keys are improved, but the pads feel the same to me, a.k.a. nothing like MPC pads. Lol!

Hope this helps dude.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey, thanks so much for the reply.

I just wish it had an XY pad ... How do you modulate an XY pad with controlers on the Axiom?

Also, let me ask this: How is hyper control different than the DAW integration provided by apps? Example: Ableton provides program 18-20 for Axiom ...
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm sorry, but I'm not that familiar with XY pads, or maybe I'm not familiar with the term.

I immediately thought about the XY controller in Fabfilter's Twin 2.

If so, I've never tried to control something like that from the Axiom yet.

I'm not sure how the integration is for other DAW's, but it's pretty solid with Protools.

I found this manual for Hypercontrol in Ableton if it helps.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...Aug24_EN01.pdf
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They've also just released the Axiom Air keyboards, which have all the Pro features plus some new features (mainly hardware related).
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➑️
They've also just released the Axiom Air keyboards, which have all the Pro features plus some new features (mainly hardware related).
These are definitely worth checking out!
Old 6th February 2013
Kas
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Axiom Pro is way different than the nonpro. The chasis is metal and more solid. The keybed feels more like organ action than synth action. The Air is like the nonpro. I tried them all at GuitarCenter. For feel the Pro is way better. for Midi mapping, i dont know whats better, probaly the Air.
πŸ“ Reply