Quantcast
beyer m201 and m88 comparison - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
beyer m201 and m88 comparison
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
beyer m201 and m88 comparison

I have a m201 and really like it on guitar and vocals but it spends most of the time in front of a guitar cab so was thinking of picking up something similar for vocals. In searching the m88 seems to get a lot of respect. From what I gather it might be similar to the m201 but maybe a little brighter. From people that have used both how would you compare the two?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I find the M88 to be a fuller sounding mic.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the M88 has more bottom and more hi-end than the 201. in a very good way.
it's an extremely versatile mic, with excellent rejection ... I use it a lot on vocals when having other sound sources in the room.
in addition it's also excellent on bass cabinets, bass drum (if you're into a 'real', non-scooped-mid sound), low tom, and on clean guitar amps (for overdriven sounds I prefer the 201).
I have also used it succesfully on tuba, and on loud, screaming bari and tenor sax.
buy it you won't regret it.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I was in Germany a few months ago and went into a music store in Berlin to try these 2 out. I found the 201 to be quite bright and clear and the 88 to sound a little muddy in comparison. It might have just been the headphones or maybe it was just a bad match for my voice. I ended up buying the 201 and have been very happy with it.
Old 4th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anyone else care to compare these two. I'm looking to purchase one soon as a sort of utility mic that I can use to fill in the gaps on sessions. I'd like to get one that can work well on electric cab, kick, and the occasional stringed instrumen. Any thoughts?
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboy2024 ➡️
Anyone else care to compare these two. I'm looking to purchase one soon as a sort of utility mic that I can use to fill in the gaps on sessions. I'd like to get one that can work well on electric cab, kick, and the occasional stringed instrumen. Any thoughts?
That would be the M88. Cab and Kick especially, but I'm sure it'd give a pretty alright sound on strings through a high gain pre.
📝 Reply