Quantcast
BAE Lunchbox Question re: Open Slots - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BAE Lunchbox Question re: Open Slots
Old 22nd January 2013
BAE Lunchbox Question re: Open Slots

Hey Folks,

I just bought a BAE Lunchbox. Of course it's already filled with 2 API 512c modules, a Shadowhills Mono Optograph and a RetroInstruments Doublewide. I just installed the APIs and am curious/concerned/paranoid about the open slots on top of the BAE and the open case of the 512c. I am concerned that the APIs will just get filled with dust and dirt and whatever other crud is floating around this dirty town.

Do BAE Lunchbox owners put some sort of dust cover over the slots, a lunchbox cozy, if you will?
Old 24th January 2013
Bump?

So, do any owner's of the BAE Lunchbox take extra measures to protect modules like the 512c which are not encase?
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask ➑️
Bump?

So, do any owner's of the BAE Lunchbox take extra measures to protect modules like the 512c which are not encase?
Get a blank panel...
Is your gear in a woodworking shop?
Condenser Mics will be an issue far more...If they are powered up..
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio ➑️
Get a blank panel...
Is your gear in a woodworking shop?
Condenser Mics will be an issue far more...If they are powered up..
Thank you. No, I am not in a woodworking shop. My rack lunchbox is full, actually, but the BAE has open slots on the top and bottom of the box and the 512c is not encased so, even with the rack full, one could drop a dime or spill a drink (not that I am in a dime throwing/drink spilling kind of environment) right into the module.

You can kind of tell from light shining through the top of the BAE picture that the top is partly open. Combined with the open 512c module, I hope you might understand the concern, even if it is unwarranted.
Attached Thumbnails
BAE Lunchbox Question re: Open Slots-ph2_512c_l.jpg   BAE Lunchbox Question re: Open Slots-bae_six-ch_lunchbox_with_psu.jpg  
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's fine. Definitely don't cover those slots. They are there for ventilation dude. The API racks have vents to.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you are really concerned about dust getting in there, then buy a can of compressed air and clean it out every once and awhile. The only potential problem with dust might be if it got into the switches on the modules but those are normally sealed and I can't imagine that to be a serious issue in normal use. DO NOT cover up the ventilation slots or you risk thermal damage to the modules which will be a lot worse than having some dust get in there. People tend to foget that solid state gear can generate a lot of heat. Also, most gear can operate with some dust inside. If you own a desk top computer that is 2-3 years old, just look inside the case sometime and there will be a lot of dust in there but your computer still works fine.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins ➑️
If you are really concerned about dust getting in there, then buy a can of compressed air and clean it out every once and awhile. The only potential problem with dust might be if it got into the switches on the modules but those are normally sealed and I can't imagine that to be a serious issue in normal use. DO NOT cover up the ventilation slots or you risk thermal damage to the modules which will be a lot worse than having some dust get in there. People tend to foget that solid state gear can generate a lot of heat. Also, most gear can operate with some dust inside. If you own a desk top computer that is 2-3 years old, just look inside the case sometime and there will be a lot of dust in there but your computer still works fine.
thanks for the response, everyone. I do understand that there needs to be ventilation. I simply found it a bit unsettling that the entire inside entire workings of the module were exposed under a slot large enough to drop a small piece of fruit into. But I will stop worrying about it and just continue using my new toys - double wide, 512s, Wunder Mic 67, AEA R44, etc and just have fun.
πŸ“ Reply