Quantcast
Legal procedure needed for releasing a cover in the UK? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Legal procedure needed for releasing a cover in the UK?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Legal procedure needed for releasing a cover in the UK?

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I last read up on MCPS and PRS policies. The PRS website also has a lot of dead ends and broken links to the information I am trying to find. I've also read several threads on here about the issue but all seem rather unclear.

I'm in the U.K (Northern Ireland) and I am recording my band in my own recording studio. We are releasing a blues album soon and we have started recording a mixture of both originals and covers.

As far as the covers go, can someone please give me a step by step guide as to exactly what I should be doing and how I go about doing it?

I've trawled the PRS website help sections on this and they offer little help on the issue so I still don't have a clue what I am supposed to be doing.

The blues covers we do are really old so I am not even sure how to go about even asking for permissions from writers etc as I am sure they are all long gone now! Memphis Minnie, Big Mama Thornton etc.

Any and all help appreciated,
Steve.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear
You don't need permission from the writers to release and record a cover, just pay the mechanical royalty.

You need permission from the copyright holder if you want to make a derivative work...which would mean making considerable changes to the melody, or lyrics (such as singing it in another language).

If the original is in the key of A and you sing it in the key of B, don't worry that's ok ; )
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➡️

If the original is in the key of A and you sing it in the key of B, don't worry that's ok ; )
you may need to clear that with your bass player first!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➡️
You don't need permission from the writers to release and record a cover, just pay the mechanical royalty.
Ok cool - so this is where the PRS website turns up broken links... how exactly do I go about paying the mechanical royalty for particular tunes? Once this is paid am I also doing everything by the book for sending tracks to radio stations for airplay?

Steve.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear
In the US, you pay Harry Fox.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…