Quantcast
Radial stops using Jensen transformer in JDI duplex? - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Radial stops using Jensen transformer in JDI duplex?
Old 28th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ➡️
The new Yamaha Revstar range is fantastic ... I would rather be seen with one of those than a Fender ....
Your anti-gear-snobbery is appreciated.
Old 11th November 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi all.
I've just read this entire thread and there's a lot of interesting stuff here.

I need a DI that'll output stereo OR summed mono if required. I did some research and found that the Radial Duplex will do the job for me. Today I bought a used Eclipse-equipped Duplex on eBay before I knew there was any difference between Jensen and Eclipse and to be honest, I'm more interested in the overall quality of the unit and what I need it to do (i.e. the duplex functionality) than any perceived difference between Jensen and Eclipse.

I'm not an audiophile....am I going to notice any difference between the two transformers?

Cheers
Gary
Old 11th November 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi Maddcow

I can assure you that you will not be able to hear or test a difference as we have carefully selected the transformers that were used in the Duplex.

Peter
Old 11th November 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Ok. Thanks so much for the reply, Peter. Much appreciated.
Old 1st January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Whats the difference between Radial JDI Stereo Passive Direct Box Vs the Duplex.

I ask because I'm about to buy one but stumbled on to this thread....

Am i to assume that buying a Duplex could possibly have an Eclipse transformer in it........or maybe a jenson.

Or should i just get the JDI stereo passive one.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi Louis;

The difference is the connectivity. The Duplex and JDI stereo both employ the same Jensen transformers. The Duplex gives you extra features such as a Merge function, XLR inputs and so on, while the JDI Stereo is more compact. Both passive DI boxes are as good as you can get!
Have fun with your music. Peter
Old 3rd January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemeister ➡️
Hi Louis;

The difference is the connectivity. The Duplex and JDI stereo both employ the same Jensen transformers. The Duplex gives you extra features such as a Merge function, XLR inputs and so on, while the JDI Stereo is more compact. Both passive DI boxes are as good as you can get!
Have fun with your music. Peter
Thanks Peter, but it would seem like I may not be garanteed a jensen transformer inside if I choose to get a duplex from reading most of this thread.
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
This post started in 2013. We have been using Jensen transformers exclusively in the Duplex for about 3 years - since we purchased Jensen. So unless you intend to buy a used one, it would be very unlikely that you can find one without Jensens inside.
Peter
Old 6th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This post started in 2013. We have been using Jensen transformers exclusively in the Duplex for about 3 years - since we purchased Jensen. So unless you intend to buy a used one, it would be very unlikely that you can find one without Jensens inside.
Peter
I can get a jdi stereo at an ok price second hand and was wondering whether these were ever fitted with the eclipse transformers, or can I buy it with confidence knowing it will have jensens inside.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
JDI Stereo has only ever been equipped with Jensens
Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks Peter, its good to know.
Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't doubt that for one minite. Because you now own the Jensen brand.

But is it not also true that you could wind any transformer you like out of any material you like, and take as many short cuts as you like - and still apply a Jensen sticker and call it a Jensen transformer?

Or buy a shipment of cheap chinese transformers and apply the Jensen brand name? I mean - that *is* why you buy a brand name - so you can benefit from the reputation of that name.

I would be far more impressed if you stated publically that you fit a specific model of Jensen transformer, and that this is made to exactly the same specifications and from the same materials as the old Jensen transformers that used to be in the JDI DI units.
Old 13th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2 ➡️
I do think it's a big issue. For years Radial JDI has been associated with the Jensen transformer brand, and a certain premium quality level. If they wanted to switch to Eclipse they should have come up with "EDI" IMHO. I find it misleading, and I certainly don't want to have to read 20 pages of small print to find out that an essential component has been switched out. My 0.02c worth.
I agree. JDI = Jensen transformer direct input. If there is not a Jensen transformer, it should not be a JDI. If the demand has gone up and supply can't keep up, change the price and offer alternatives like the EDI. Then we know what we are getting and the reputation is maintained. Once you start doing the bait and switch, people will look for alternatives.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
I agree. JDI = Jensen transformer direct input. If there is not a Jensen transformer, it should not be a JDI. If the demand has gone up and supply can't keep up, change the price and offer alternatives like the EDI. Then we know what we are getting and the reputation is maintained. Once you start doing the bait and switch, people will look for alternatives.

OK...but you're dragging up an old thread, and replying to a 4 year old post. As of July 2014, Radial has PURCHASED JENSEN so that they can keep up with demand of genuine Jensen transformers, and have been back to manufacturing JDIs with genuine Jensen transformers for several years now.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➡️
OK...but you're dragging up an old thread, and replying to a 4 year old post. As of July 2014, Radial has PURCHASED JENSEN so that they can keep up with demand of genuine Jensen transformers, and have been back to manufacturing JDIs with genuine Jensen transformers for several years now.
Yeah you maybe right, but if this thread shows anything, Radial didn't do anything close to owning up to what they did - which was essentially a bait and switch.

I wudda had much more respect fro them if they were forthright, instead of towing the predictable line.

It's pretty easy to see what they did, to gloss over it like they did on this thread, I find frankly an insult to one's intelligence. As often happens, to invoke a cliche: "the cover-up is always worse than the crime".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone ➡️
Yeah you maybe right, but if this thread shows anything, Radial didn't do anything close to owning up to what they did - which was essentially a bait and switch.

I wudda had much more respect fro them if they were forthright, instead of towing the predictable line.

It's pretty easy to see what they did, to gloss over it like they did on this thread, I find frankly an insult to one's intelligence. As often happens, to invoke a cliche: "the cover-up is always worse than the crime".
I don't disagree...the JDI's name implies that it uses a JDI transformer, so technically, using a different brand is not exactly honest.

That said, non of those complaining really discussed the actual SOUND of the old vs. new unit, nor do I think they cared. The eclipse could have been identical to the molecule with the Jensen that it replaced, yet without the Jensen name on it, people would have complained.

Yet no one even knows what Jensen transformer was used originally, nor if Jensen themselves changed the design at any point during the JDI production run (highly possible due to the introduction of RoHS compliance during it's run).

It would have been interesting to hear a 1:1 comparison of the Jensen vs. Eclipse. I have a feeling no one could have told a difference. But that doesn't matter....because the complaint has nothing to do with sound or quality, and everything to do with a label.
Lives for gear

Well that's natural. People make purchases based on labels every day. Someone buys a Benz they don't want to find a Toyota engine inside, no matter if it works just as well. Same goes for everything from vitamins to laundry detergent. Radial made a mistake, but it has long blown over.
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My guess is, with all of my experience with Radial, that if someone truly has a problem with the wrong transformer in their unit, they would replace the transformer on request.

In the meantime, I agree with Joe, I'd love to find out if anyone could actually hear the difference.
Old 14th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This thread has had me rushing anxiously to the rack to check my JD6s...

To my horror I have discovered that without any kind of proper announcement Radial have wickedly switched from RED Jensens to WHITE Jensens!

I never noticed a change in sound before now, but now I clearly hear a night and day difference!

What should I do?

Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️

To my horror I have discovered that without any kind of proper announcement Radial have wickedly switched from RED Jensens to WHITE Jensens!

I never noticed a change in sound before now, but now I clearly hear a night and day difference!

What should I do?

You joke, but if you pay close attention, a lot of descriptions of the sound of gear around here falls in line with the actual physical color of it. Wanna make a splash? Build a converter the color of expresso coffee and call it the same. Build the exact same thing in a black chassis and I guarantee they will "sound different".
Deleted c205829
Quote:

What should I do?

One is trademarked and one is copyrighted. Very fishy.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c205829 ➡️
One is trademarked and one is copyrighted. Very fishy.
™ is licenesed and © is owned, I believe. Or vice versa? So maybe one is before and the other after they bought Jensen.

One may sound redder than the other, whiter one.
Deleted c205829
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
™ is licenesed and © is owned, I believe. Or vice versa? So maybe one is before and the other after they bought Jensen.

One may sound redder than the other, whiter one.
word!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

What should I do?

Stop looking at your gear and start using your ears.
Old 15th March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you run something through the red one and another thing run through the white one, and use both on the same mix, you get that elusive Pink Sound® (PS) that is so sought after.
Old 15th March 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
While Bill Whitlock is semi retired, Radial has left the original people at Jensen to keep making the very finest possible transformers. There has been no substitution of material and certainly no rebranding of cheap offshore transformers. The biggest change was the purchase of additional winding equipment to meet demand.
Old 21st March 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I just discovered this thread whilst contemplating a Radial DI purchase. Fascinating stuff. What a story.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just picked up a jdi duplex used off ebay. I didn't open it up, but no mention of jensen anywhere on the outside. Sounds good, and I guess that is what matter though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I thought that's what the j stood for no.
Old 1st April 2017
Deleted 77d3586
I have to say...I am annoyed to find out that I have a JD6 that I purchased new. It says w/Jensen on the box label, but actually has eclipse in it. Totally pissed when a guy was gonna buy it from me and I learned that what I thought I bought was not so. I will not buy from Radial again, short of them refunding me, or sending me the device I ordered.
📝 Reply