Quantcast
AKG 414 B ULS and LA 610 Solo for spoken word - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG 414 B ULS and LA 610 Solo for spoken word
Old 21st January 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
AKG 414 B ULS and LA 610 Solo for spoken word

Anybody know how the two go together?

Currently running the 414 through a Safesound Tracking Toolbox but thinking about re-introducing a tube pre into the mix

(had an LA 610 MKII but sold it but never heard it with a 414 B ULS)
Old 21st January 2013
  #2
Gear Guru
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It's going to be a colored midrange emphasized sound. IME most VO guys want boom and sizzle. You can always add a little top end with EQ to see how it goes. I'd turn that BULS into a TLI by having turning it into a transformerless mic, it sounds better for most things including voice over. I think Jim Williams does this, but any qualified tech can also.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
thanks Nathan, but isn't it the mids that you want emphasized in VO?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Guru
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis ➑️
thanks Nathan, but isn't it the mids that you want emphasized in VO?
IME most VO guys will make it present/crispy with big proximity effect. This is emphasis on highs and lows. It's a voice so the mids are already there, so having a midrange emphasized microphone and a midrange emphasized highly colored preamp will not sound like modern VO work to my ears, or based on what I know VO guys buy. Clean and big are far more common, think a Brauner into a Great River. Sennheiser 416 is probably the most common mic in the field, but mic choices are all over the place. I'd rather have an AEA TRP than a 610 (or any slow highly colored tube preamp) any day of the week for this kind of work.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
hmmm...like which Brauner?
Old 22nd January 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
bogeyeater's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A good large diaphragm dynamic is going to get you in the zone and might work out significantly cheaper.

Most commonly used commercial broadcast mics in that class for VO: Shure SM7B, Heil PR40, Electro RE20.

I have a Heil and it has a ton of clean gain/ proximity effect.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I personally like the 414 to 610 sound on dry vocals. The 414 is crisp and balanced enough to keep the 610 from getting sloppy and the 610 adds some welcome warmth and richness to the 414. The 610 is a strong character pre though so make sure you want that kind of body and weight. If your source is muddy, the 610 will be a nightmare. It's better at giving some more size and smoothness to thin and/or harsh sources.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks BOWIE
I'm basically a mid-baritone and slightly nasal.

When you say you like the 414/610 combo, are you referring to the B ULS or one of the other iterations?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis ➑️
Thanks BOWIE
I'm basically a mid-baritone and slightly nasal.

When you say you like the 414/610 combo, are you referring to the B ULS or one of the other iterations?
You might be a good candidate then. As far as which 414, I've used several types with the 610 and liked them all. The ULS is a little darker but still works there. For me, the general nature of the 414 sound into the 610 is really appealing on certain vocals. Particularly baritone for the way the 414 handles the low end cleanly and the 610 comes along after, adding a nice coloration. I think a lot of people overlook what a 414 can do on baritone with that extended, tight bass. I love it. Finessing the bass later in the chain (be it a 610, some EQ, etc) can bring out in a flattering way.

If you buy the preamp, do it with the intention of having a thicker, darker pre. I only use mine on certain sources but for those things, it's brilliant. I really wouldn't want it to be my only pre, but I know a lot of people who use it as their primary. I'm just always cautious about recommending the 610 because people that go in with the wrong expectations label it as dark and muddy rather than using it for fattening up a signal.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
wow great input, thanks. I had a 610 MK II at one time. Any difference in the pre between that and the SOLO?

( I figure I can run the 610 into the Safesound compressor/which I already own at line level if I want to do onboard compression but mostly plan on doing plug-in compression and limiting)
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis ➑️
wow great input, thanks. I had a 610 MK II at one time. Any difference in the pre between that and the SOLO?

( I figure I can run the 610 into the Safesound compressor/which I already own at line level if I want to do onboard compression but mostly plan on doing plug-in compression and limiting)
No problem.
The LA-version has an extra tube stage in the input section, but I don't hear a big difference between it and the Solo (I haven't A/B'd them but people send me 610 clips all the time). So, if you go with the solo you should expect a sound very similar to what you remember hearing in the MKII.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE ➑️
I personally like the 414 to 610 sound on dry vocals. The 414 is crisp and balanced enough to keep the 610 from getting sloppy and the 610 adds some welcome warmth and richness to the 414. The 610 is a strong character pre though so make sure you want that kind of body and weight. If your source is muddy, the 610 will be a nightmare. It's better at giving some more size and smoothness to thin and/or harsh sources.
These are my findings too. 610 mkII goes very well with C414 B-XLS, in my situation. Don't feed a Brauner into the 610! It will shave off the properties that you have purchased your Brauner for and disturb the balance that is built into those mics. (Talking Brauner Valvet X and Brauner Phanthera V here, from my own experience.) I prefer Brauners for VO with more neutral amps. SPL Frontliner comes to mind. I find it a very good combo with the Valvet X especially. (PM me for a sample.)
Old 22nd January 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I've always been intrigued by the 414 B ULS

I guess I like that it's relatively un-hyped, under-valued and overlooked
(I'm somewhat of a contrarian)

Also, apparently Johnny Carson used a 414 in the later years of The Tonight Show.

To me it's kind of a hipster mic. I'm thinking the 610 might bring that certain vibe that I'm hearing in my head, but we know how that can go
Old 18th January 2016 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
VO Guy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred ➑️
IME most VO guys will make it present/crispy with big proximity effect. This is emphasis on highs and lows. It's a voice so the mids are already there, so having a midrange emphasized microphone and a midrange emphasized highly colored preamp will not sound like modern VO work to my ears, or based on what I know VO guys buy. Clean and big are far more common, think a Brauner into a Great River. Sennheiser 416 is probably the most common mic in the field, but mic choices are all over the place. I'd rather have an AEA TRP than a 610 (or any slow highly colored tube preamp) any day of the week for this kind of work.

Yes, but which Brauner into the Great River?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 33 views: 8617
Avatar for Fred
Fred 14th September 2006
replies: 1172 views: 261215
Avatar for Dr. Jule
Dr. Jule 1 day ago
replies: 52 views: 16831
Avatar for Deleted 4373f97
Deleted 4373f97 23rd April 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump