Quantcast
Ways to replace Drum Sounds via Analog.. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ways to replace Drum Sounds via Analog..
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➡️
As someone who worked in hardware for years...I never found it a pain at all. But, then...I had a direct USB connection...fly track over...back...if you were wanting to add a sample, you technically would fly the kick...but only fly the sample back. Everything with sample accurate time stamping shouldn't be an issue save whatever logistics the hardware employs. I had a friend with a tascam thing once that you had to export the track onto it's own HD, but a different partition--then you could plug in the USB or whatever it was to the computer and pull it from there--same in reverse. That was odd. I get technically why...but...

Do you have to do CDR with RADAR? Or does it FTP?

But a slight PIA is a good thing, IMO. How badly do you want to put a sample in? Not bad enough to burn a disc...or a few minutes transfer time? Me thinks not very badly, then. I tested my old recorder's import export accuracy by flying a single guitar note in the middle of solo, changing the pitch of a bend and putting just the bend back. Seamless. Number of times I actually did that in the real world of making music with the thing? None.

But, I need to just embrace...I'm an old dude. I play music. I mixed without automation for decades. When mixing was a performance art.

If you have any info on how to direct connect via usb, let me know.
I have a dvdr/cdr with my Radar so I could go that way, but I have a hard time getting FTP to work. I am on a pc, btw.. That usb thing sounds promising. side note, Im on a Radar 24 ...I believe the os is 3.39
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
For enhancing a snare after the fact total analog, get a great sounding snare, suspend an Auratone right over the head, center about 3 inches away, and play the original snare track through the Auratone. Mic the snare on the bottom and side.

Of course, won't work with a kick, but why not just run the kick signal to a trigger input on a sample player or drum machine. Record the sample on another track and then slide the track forward a few milliseconds (it'll be late) and blend the two kick tracks as needed.

Personally, I never track using triggers or samples

i saw a video of this once.... however in the video the speaker was a 12 incher lying on its back... and the snare was placed batter side down on the woofer.... it sounded quite impressive to say the least... thats analog sample augmentation!
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➡️
emitsweet, you would hope that these days we would have a tighter integration than Smpte TC (assuming you are wordclocked between Radar and DAW - this getting as tight as it can be at 30 frames per second as opposed to a tighter 44.1k or 96k samples per second) ...

something sample based is what i am speaking of. the transfer of files is the tightest IMHO. possibly an ethernet sample based idea ... has anyone come up with a product like this ?

we do not seem to have this "NEW protocol" because we should not need it in this age of file transfers.

just a thought on a rainy friday morning ...

john
I hear ya, Smpte is archaic but it works. For the most part the standard practice for years has been to track analog and dump to DAW. Then sample in the DAW. Tracking to analog is really not that rare but Mixing OTB from tape is very very rare these days. Does anyone really do it still?

You would think the few people that do track and mix 100% analog are not usually the sampling type and probably aren't even into midi all that much either. It 's sort of like a person into muscle cars using an automatic transmission I guess.

I think the reason something like it doesn't exist is there is no market for it. Adams Smith Zeta made some nice products I don't recall how far they went with them as far as digital clocking and current requirements.

Radar is still digital so it doesn't suffer from mechanical drift like a 2in. I think the only way to account for drift mechanically, is to stripe the tape. Unless the deck is like a swiss watch it's going to drift. Studer came the closest but it's still mechanically driven so it will drift. I recall mechanical digital decks like DA88s and some other digital units having word clock but the decks had their own synchronization like that ADAT BRC which was digital and was the master. So it's different than with an analog deck in the sense that the BRC essentially drove the mechanical pluses and output digital data too. Where a tape machine is sort of "stupid" you would say. I have no doubt now with CNC someone like studer could have had a built in wordclock out of their A827 like machines, but who really needs it now? Track to tape dump to DAW

I know from personally experience that the cheap JL copper Smpte to MTC I use is pretty solid. I did some tests on how accurate they were and I could get two sources to almost phase cancel each other out, either that or it was the tightest flange you ever heard . So it's accurate enough. It has worked well for me and I think I paid $49 for the jl cooper back
in the mid 80s. I still have a MOTU interface and it all works great. The stuff is almost 25 year old now.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back in the day we would slave a sequencer to tape then use a trigger to midi...there were many at the time, the Alesis D4 being the one I preterred. Use the trigger to midi to create a midi map of the hits...editing out false triggers and double triggers. Then select a sound and print it back to the tape, shifting the midi forward to compensate for the trigger lag.

Emitsweets version with Drmgog or Drum Replaceris a more modern version of the same idae.

And yes it was a pain....then again we used to get paid to do all this stuff....remember???
Old 31st May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ITS EASY! Heres a way to change short (or long of course soundfiles). It may seem kinky but doesnt it work?
Say you have one kickdrum all around the song and wnt to replace it. If you name it BASSDRUM and you then
have another kickdrum you want to try: Highlight the new one with the mouse use command+copy, the choose BASSRUM file in
the waveform editor, mark its entire area and choose command+paste. ITs then replaced without making a new soundfile
thus the new sound plays throughout the song. Crazy but it works anyway. (great for multiple occurences of soundfiles)
📝 Reply