Quantcast
Midas Venice F24? Recommendations Needed! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midas Venice F24? Recommendations Needed!
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Midas Venice F24? Recommendations Needed!

Hi Guys!

Would like some input on which console to purchase.

We've been using the Tascam DM 4800 for about 3 years now, with the IF-FW/DMMKII expansion card.

We do mostly voice overs, and occasionally vocal tracks. We have an Avalon 737SP. We also do documentaries, both long form and short form.

Recently I noticed that on sweetwater, they're selling the Midas Venice F24 for USD$2500 (!). So I'm considering purchasing the console for the studio.

My concerns:

1. The maximum buffer sample size for the firewire connection of the F24 is only 512. Is that enough? We've worked on a TV series that was heavy on SFX creation. We increased the sample rate to 2048, and yet nuendo was unresponsive on some occasions. Is it an issue with our workflow, or is 512 not adequate for mixing CPU intensive tracks/documentaries?

2. What other consoles would you recommend for the above types of jobs that we do?

3. My boss is not audio trained, he's just interested. He bought the Tascam because it was big and because of the motorised faders it would "impress" the clients. Any tried and tested sound bites I can use to convince him that the Midas board is an upgrade over the Tascam?
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bump! Any suggestions?
📝 Reply