Quantcast
Newbie Student DID I GET LUCKY? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Newbie Student DID I GET LUCKY?
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Newbie Student DID I GET LUCKY?

I have NO background in audio, first year film student. I've picked up a Seinheisser M416 which in my opinion has alot of spill in the sides and used it in a open air rally during street interviews plugged into a H4N with its cheap pre amps.

With people all around I actually isolated speech from 12ft away while mounted on a camera not even boomed. The only thing I did was clean up some hiss in post with Auditions noise processing tool.

I compared the results to a $5000 audio rig with dedicated boom & pro mixer and can hardly tell the different except for a lil more depth which if you dont play side by side the audience would never know.

DID I FLUKE THIS? I DONT UNDERSTAND
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe you got lucky. Though you said you were a newb, so maybe you think it sounds pro, but maybe a pro would think it sounds amateur. Who knows. Maybe you have hidden skills you never knew about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
perhaps its the 3 speaker setup with 2 cheap mids and a sub that doesnt allow pickup of fine differences, but then again who plays viral short films on a surround sound theatre?
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyK ➑️
but then again who plays viral short films on a surround sound theatre?
"good" and "good enough" are sometimes interchangeable for sure.

Though assuming you mean the MKH 416:

Sennheiser MKH 416-P48U3 - Microphone - Short gun microphone

This is a shotgun mic, which means it's designed for focus not wide pickup.

Stick it in a fluffy dog on a boom, and you've got yourself a boom mic. That's one of the jobs it's designed for.

It's more likely that you've underestimated how good it's rejection is!

From the website:

"The MKH 416 is a short gun interference tube microphone. Its excellent directivity and compact design, high consonant articulation and feedback rejection make the MKH 416 a superb all-round microphone for film, radio and television, especially for outside broadcast applications."

It even has it's own bespoke windshield (fluffy dog/basket)...and it's a grand on it's own, so not exactly a cheap option!

The Zooms are fine as well - I've done location work with one, they're nothing special, but do a job.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hrm maybe under estimated the setup but ive used the same rig indoors and had terrible sound intrusion away from the directed dialogue???
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I'll take luck any day of the week sometimes thats all you need.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
except for the fact that good audio is never a matter of luck, I just lack understanding
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Well... you say you got decent audio, and you don't know why... so you are either skilled, or you got lucky. As you claim to have no background in audio I would guess the latter.

Without knowing it, you had the right mic in the right spot. That is why it worked. I would call that lucky, and there is nothing wrong with getting lucky when you are trying something new. Now you learned something from that luck and you can use it as knowledge next time. No shame in that.

If it sounded better than a much nicer audio rig you used once, that is the fault of the engineer that was running that rig. I've been there. Did post on a film that hired a guy to capture all the sounds. They paid him a chunk of cash. He had all the gear he needed, and the sounds he recorded were crap. We had to re-track all the audio.

People who are great at what they do still benefit from luck my friend. Even in the audio world.

I feel lucky everyday that my 2" tape makes it through the session cleanly. And that is more often than not.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hrm maybe under estimated the setup but ive used the same rig indoors and had terrible sound intrusion away from the directed dialogue???
That's because when you are indoors, sound is reflected around the room. So a sound off to the side can bounce of a wall, and then can enter the pickup area of the microphone. That is why room treatment is so important in recording studios.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think your right, the M416 isnt the best indoors, does anyone else have this experience?
Old 23rd January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think your right, the M416 isnt the best indoors, does anyone else have this experience?
Inside, you either need treated rooms with no echoing, or you need to get closer - or use a lavlier mic. All those reality shows have the contestants wearing radio mics.

Recording in a small dead ish room like a lounge, your shotgun mix would be fine.

It's not the mic at fault - just the wrong tool in some situations.
πŸ“ Reply