Quantcast
UA Apollo vs Apogee Quartet (sound quality and tonal differences) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo vs Apogee Quartet (sound quality and tonal differences)
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UA Apollo vs Apogee Quartet (sound quality and tonal differences)

Nothing came up on the search pitting these two against each other. I would like to know the difference in sound quality between the two converters (looking for a beefy low end before tweaking). Both will do the job, but I'm looking to see which one fits into R&B and Dance music better?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It is a matter of what you want. A more portable interface or one that is pack with features. I would say of the two the Apollo has the better converters and because you basically get a UAD DUO card inside it, it would benefit you more for that type of music because you can add extra UAD plugins and even track with them. You can use UAD plugins with it. If you decide you are interested in an Apollo, I have one for sale in the classifieds. That will bring the price closer to the Quartet with more features included.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble ➑️
It is a matter of what you want. A more portable interface or one that is pack with features. I would say of the two the Apollo has the better converters and because you basically get a UAD DUO card inside it, it would benefit you more for that type of music because you can add extra UAD plugins and even track with them. You can use UAD plugins with it. If you decide you are interested in an Apollo, I have one for sale in the classifieds. That will bring the price closer to the Quartet with more features included.
Where are you located?
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode ➑️
Where are you located?
Louisiana
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I had the opportunity to test the Quartet and Apollo at the same time, and definitely preferred the Quartet.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go on...
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Daddykev, in what ways was the quartet better? Looking at picking one up in the next couple of days and the apollo is still on my radar.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Same dilemma in here .... could you elaborate more on what basis you did prefer the quartet?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 for elaborating on this. I am trying to make the decision to buy one of the two...
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble ➑️
Well you sir are actually mistaken the Quartet has the better converters especially on the DA side which spec out at 123db A weighted. While the Apollo is good the Apogee does have the edge.
It actually sounds like your propping the Apollo because you want sell yours. That's ok except slagging superior gear when you don't even know is kinda whack.

For the OP it really comes down to this, do you want to track with plug ins? Do you want to buy into the UAD software platform? They are some of the better plugs on the market but they are not exactly inexpensive. If you don't want that and want great sounding converters then buy the Apogee. Otherwise buy an Apollo either one will still turn out a great recording if you know what you are doing.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am someone who is mixing in the box ... I do not want to add external keyboards or instruments and mic to track vocals or anything like that ... just pure virtual instruments ... therefore sonic clarity and the D/A matters the most ... as i can read then the Apogee wins it ...

Cheers
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have both - they both sound great and I don't think there is a quality difference. Apollo supports UAD, has more I/O, and Thunderbolt, but Quartet is $1k cheaper. I love Quartet's soft button interface too.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Therefore I should go for the quartet if both have the same D/A converters quality .... agree ?
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…