Quantcast
Developers out there take note. I'd pay GOOD money for a HW version of FM8! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Developers out there take note. I'd pay GOOD money for a HW version of FM8!
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Developers out there take note. I'd pay GOOD money for a HW version of FM8!

Wouldn't you? With lots of nobs, more or less the same effects, and a VECTOR control...

It could even be white. Like the size of the Blofeld. But pure FM synthesis with ability to read original DX7 patches.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you considered the Yamaha FS1R? It is not the same, but in many ways is superior. There's some good editors out there for it, too.

Tim
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What makes the Kronos's FM engine not that? It reads dx7 sysex. I don't use either, so I imagine there are enhancements on the fm8? Of course you can use what 16 FM engines in the Kronos at one time and combine with any of the other engines, so...extra oscillators or filters are a non issue...
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well, I'm eyeing an SY99, but the thing is, it's a big synth. Something more compact seems more appropriate. I guess when I envision the perfect FM synth of our times, meaning, a new hardware unit, I think of something like a Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard (maybe because of the FM8 color scheme, white and grey) with more knobs...

I never messed around with a Kronos, even though it has called my attention precisely because of the FM engine. Not that many demos out there showcasing that side of it... But it's expeeensive, and it has all the other things that other synths I have cover already.
Old 21st January 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I agree - somebody should make an affordable FM synth again. FM has so much to offer, and it fits perfectly with the modern sounds. The old Yamaha DX/TX stuff is just too old and unreliable, and noisy by todays standards. A single space rack with USB audio, USB midi as well as old MIDI and as many audio outs as price allows ... classic DX7 was mono output.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe the New upcoming Synth/Workstation from YAMAHA will offer FM Synthesis ?

imho. it would be a big (minus) if they don't do it this time around.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I parted with all my Yamaha gear because they were too big to support their own formats... (TX16W vs. SU10 and A3000, A4000, A5000) and every time I got a Yamaha product or piece of software I ended up in a dead end road sooner or later.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
So, you want a modern, noise free, yet completely dated synth engine...in hardware (for yet unexplained reason)...that also inexpensive?

I bought the Kronos for effectively one of the 9 engines. EP1 for me. It's the way it works. They aren't going to break it up. I'd have loved to pay "sv1 money" for just the pianos and Hammond model. All I touch. But, that's just never how such things work.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The FS1R is a beast but wouldn't be the solution to this problem because the interface is among the worst I've ever encountered. Even with an on-screen editor, it's still difficult for me to get beyond the "happy accident" form of programming.

It sounds like the OP is looking for a serious FM engine but with the immediate control you find on a Moog. I think the resulting device would look more like a giant Moog Modular than a Voyager, though.

FM is a weird beast and difficult to wrap the brain around. I'm still learning, but it's clear from some patches I've heard that it's an amazingly powerful form of synthesis - capable of much more than tine pianos and Taco Bells - but you almost have to forget some of the things you "know" about how to get from A to B.

Sadly, I think the virtual space is a better place for programming FM. I say sadly because I also prefer to have my hands on sliders and buttons. I don't think there's enough of a market for such a beast, though, at least not right now. Maybe in the FM revival that will show up in another 10-20 years.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The only reason why companies make hardware is because hardware 1) is still the only way to get authentic analog 2) is necessary in most cases for the touring musician.

Look at this thing:

http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/jelli...er_darker1.jpg

That's what it would take to give you a knobby version of an FM synth.

The fact is that no company will ever make another standalone FM hardware synth ever again, let alone one with knobs. It's all over.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I don't see what's so unreasonable about it, conceptually speaking, of course... Sure I know demand and marketability have to be considered, but why is it so hard to imagine a a keyboard the size of a Nord Wave, for instance, with the first row of that DX Programer and an LCD screen where you could alternate between Operators? Then a section for FX, filters, the usual stuff...

That is why there are designers out there. To think these things through and come out with a solution.

As for interest, I don't know, just recently I read a lot of threads here about FM synthesis, and seriously, I think that it is the source of amazing sounds, and noise, that cannot be replicated in another way or by the other kinds (subtractive, wavetable, etc...) I think a lot of people would be into it.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans ➑️
I parted with all my Yamaha gear because they were too big to support their own formats... (TX16W vs. SU10 and A3000, A4000, A5000) and every time I got a Yamaha product or piece of software I ended up in a dead end road sooner or later.
I have a couple of TX16Ws. Their samples are readable by the SY99, A4000 and A5000, by importing them. (I have the SY99 and A5000.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarme ➑️
Well, I'm eyeing an SY99, but the thing is, it's a big synth........I never messed around with a Kronos, even though it has called my attention precisely because of the FM engine. Not that many demos out there showcasing that side of it... But it's expeeensive, and it has all the other things that other synths I have cover already.
Kronos covers a lot of SY99 features and adds many more, like wave shapers for every oscillator, step sequencers and MIDI sync LFOs. Like the 99, you can use samples in your FM algorithm. It can load DX7 patches. You can even set up a Combi like TX816 modules. You can also assign several FM parameters to the 29 front panel knobs/sliders/switches, plus the ribbon, Vector and XY joystick.

Here's a video of the OASYS playing the FM engine. Kronos has the same MOD-7 engine.

Since you said the Kronos is expensive, have you considered getting a DX200 from Ebay? It has the knobs you are talking about. Check this out:

Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wow, how did I miss the DX200? Will investigate further, sounds like what I've been looking for... Although, were it made today, we could add USB ports, software integration, etc etc.

Thanks much Scoopic! The Oasys video is not too bad either, but you see how much more complex it is... Sort of trying to keep things simple these days...
πŸ“ Reply