Quantcast
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro Vs AKG K701 for mixing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro Vs AKG K701 for mixing
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro Vs AKG K701 for mixing

Need a decent flat set of cans for mixing at home. After hours of searching I think it's between these bad boyz!

Just wondering what most people would recommend?

Beyerdynamic DT880 pro -£185
AKG K701 - £165

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have a pair of 701s. They sound amazing but become really uncomfortable to wear after half an hour or more. Shame as they are great, they just have these weird bumps on the headband that dig in to my skull.

I've never tried the Beyers but if they are anything like their mics I'd assume they are probably pretty good...
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AKG is way superior, especially in the bass.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO ➡️
AKG is way superior, especially in the bass.
My 701s do sound killer (edit: although I wouldn't say they were bass heavy), they just aren't very comfortable. Maybe there's a comfort mod for them?

Last edited by Ximo; 19th January 2013 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: forgot to make it relevant
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Really, I haven't come across anyone complaining about them being uncomfortable.

I mostly mix guitar based music so Rock/Acoustic

I'm sure they are both great headphones, and wish there was a place locally were I could try these out! But have had no luck so far.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_1 ➡️
Really, I haven't come across anyone complaining about them being uncomfortable.

I mostly mix guitar based music so Rock/Acoustic

I'm sure they are both great headphones, and wish there was a place locally were I could try these out! But have had no luck so far.
I think you'd be surprised how bad the beyers are. I recently went headphone shopping and got to demo a lot of cans. I was seriously shocked at how bad the dt770, 880, and 990's sounded. I was almost convinced that they were faulty. Guess not.

I thought 701's sounded great, but I eventually settled on the shure 840's.
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have been recommended the shure srh940 but would ideally like a open/semi open back for mixing.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't buy anything on what you read - you need to try them out e.g, the bass on the 701s may be contentious in that some say while it's even within itself it is not loud enough . The same with Beyer 770s - Melodnb thinks they sound broken, others say they are the best since sliced bread and yet others say they are hyped in the bottom and tops. - and so on!
FWIW I'm using Shure 840s as an all rounder; I'm not touting them as wonder cans but they do everything to a high enough standard.
Cheers, Ross
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt ➡️
Don't buy anything on what you read - you need to try them out e.g, the bass on the 701s may be contentious in that some say while it's even within itself it is not loud enough . The same with Beyer 770s - Melodnb thinks they sound broken, others say they are the best since sliced bread and yet others say they are hyped in the bottom and tops. - and so on!
FWIW I'm using Shure 840s as an all rounder; I'm not touting them as wonder cans but they do everything to a high enough standard.
Cheers, Ross
I'd love to try them out, but am finding it impossible to find somewhere that will let me audition headphones other than Bose or Beats!!! I totally agree that you can't solely base a decision on what other people say as everyone's ear's ect... are different. I was just hoping that someone could give me a good reason to buy one over the other based on my needs.

Thanks for your replies :-)
Old 20th January 2013
mir
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
What about Sennheiser HD600?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have them all. a pair of 770 and 990 and 701. The 990 are way better than the 770. It was close between the 990 and the 701. I think the 701 is a slightly better headphone.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have thought about the sennheiser HD600, but they go for around £200 second hand on eBay ect...! And I'd rather buy new if possible.

Thanks

Carl
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have never heard the 701's. I own the DT 880 pro and love them. I also own AKG 240M, ATH-M50, Shure SRH 440, and Bose QC2. To my ears the Beyer's destroys all of them. If you decide on the 880's be sure to get the Pro and 250 ohm version. The Premium may be suited more for general listening not mixing.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the 770 and have used them a lot for mixing. They are not perfect (but what head phones are?) but they sound great to me. If I would recommend anything it's not a particular headphones, but that you:

a) study the response curve of which ever cans you decide to buy so that you know what to compensate for and expect

b) get several headphones and switch between them while mixing. I have 3 different cans with very different curves that I switch between

I also check my ears regularly to see why my own 'curve' looks like. It helps me understand what I 'hear', and compensate for it.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used both those models quite a bit and for me picking the winner is very, very easy: the AKGs. Just a flat out better quality headphone that is easier to mix with IMO. Mixing with the DT-880s led to a lot more frustration. I also like the AKGs better for listening as wll. Check out the Q701 as well, the flavor is a little different and you might like it even better. Where the K701s REALLY shine is with acoustic music, I think - coupled with a good amp and a great recording they're awesome.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Some good points there guys, I will have to take the plunge sooner or later!
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodnb ➡️
I think you'd be surprised how bad the beyers are. I recently went headphone shopping and got to demo a lot of cans. I was seriously shocked at how bad the dt770, 880, and 990's sounded. I was almost convinced that they were faulty. Guess not.

I thought 701's sounded great, but I eventually settled on the shure 840's.
i´m mixing on a Beyer HD860 ...
i´t broke (after a few years of PERMANENT use) and i immediately got a new one.
on the first listening i thought i got a chinese fake of my beloved HD860! It sounded like a joke: no base, canny, just plain totally ****ty.
but it looked 100% original.
5 Hours of "burn in" (just playing music over it in another room):
voila! i can use it and it sounds like my broken one.
I don´t know if thats extreme with beyers or normal but you CAN´T
use/judge them ritght out the box.
Beyer should really give a hint about that behaviour, i think thats really hurting their reputation.

AKG are good, Sennh are good, but i love Beyers:-)
and Grados btw:-)
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have ended up buying the Shure SRH940's! Lol. I got a really good deal on them so couldn't resist. I look forward to trying them out, and I'm sure it won't be the last set of cans I buy. Still wanting a set of open/semi open backs.
Old 19th October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
DT 880 Pro have a very low THD..good for in tune bass. Bass plays quite low but it is very clear.
📝 Reply