The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Voiceover work? Any tips?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Voiceover work? Any tips?

Hello.

I have a chance to do some voice over work for my father's company and make a few Gs. They want a bunch of messages recorded for some type of alarm/alert system that will play in case of a fire/emergency, etc...

Anyway, I never did any VO work before, but, lots of vocals for music. (I usually just hi pass and compress lightly on the way in, and use Duende VocalStrip after for EQ and more compression, de-ess)

I would be using an SM7 and LA-610 MKII with SE reflection filter pro....

Any tips? Do I compress on the way in? Do I compress/EQ after?

Thanks!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
More general session tips rather than technical stuff, but it might be useful... James Lehmann's voice-over tips.

FWIW I always record clean and process afterwards, but there are plenty of folks who do the reverse or both.

LA-610 wouldn't perhaps be my first choice pre for v/o with an SM7B as it adds a bit too much character for my taste (singing is a different matter), but if you can get a nice clean sound out of it then fine.

I think a reflection filter set behind the mic is of limited benefit to an SM7B which has excellent rear/side-rejection already - you'd be better off with a couple of MicroTraps or even a duvet behind your head, which is where most of the extraneous pick-up/room noise is likely to come from. Even then, if you're up close and personal with the SM7B, treatment becomes a case of diminishing returns.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Is there a certain way this should be EQd? i am assuming it will be playing over little ****ty speakers and may not matter regardless...
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you're the talent and you haven't done VO before, make sure to spend some time with James' "Tips for Talent in the Booth" section. Get a clean, professional take, and the post processing will go easy.

Nice article!
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is there a certain way this should be EQd? i am assuming it will be playing over little ****ty speakers and may not matter regardless...
Yeah, I'd probably roll off the low end (anything before about 140-180hz, you might even go higher). Depending on your voice you may need to add/attenuate just a little between 2-5k.

When you do your mix, try to get your hands on one of those "Full-range" speakers they use for overhead announcements and test it out.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i do have a mix cube.
πŸ“ Reply