Quantcast
Sound City - movie directed by Dave Grohl - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound City - movie directed by Dave Grohl
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
if you wanna hear the new room in all its glory.
download the Last Bison "Inheritance" EP.
it seriously does NOT suck sonically.

and specifically to this emitsweet clown:tell me how "cheap" this record sounds.
ok, let me start off by saying I don't know what I am talking about. That album sounds pretty good, but my question is this, how much does a room matter in 2013?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➡️
ok, let me start off by saying I don't know what I am talking about. That album sounds pretty good, but my question is this, how much does a room matter in 2013?
Have you ever tracked a full band in a great sounding room all playing together?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
how much does a room matter in 2013?
As much as it mattered in 1960.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you ever tracked a full band in a great sounding room all playing together?
Hell no. That's why I'm asking. But it does seem like there are more tools now so that maybe not having the best sounding room isn't as much a factor as it might have been 20 years ago. But like I said, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hell no. That's why I'm asking. But it does seem like there are more tools now so that maybe not having the best sounding room isn't as much a factor as it might have been 20 years ago. But like I said, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Lets put it this way.
No plug in or computer will ever replace what a good room does for sound vibe and performance.
Ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Many people track in crappy rooms all the time. The more I realize the real importance of getting a track right, the more I REALLY get it, the more it boils down to the player and the room. The performance is, after all, THE most important thing on the recording...so, why would you ruin that artists performance by sticking that drummer, or guitar cab in a room that's slappy, too bright, too dead, etc...get the room right, make sure frequencies aren't competing with each other, balance out ambience and control it the way you know how to mix...it's what I did, and I haven't looked back. If you watch Sound City, they claim it was mostly luck, but for some reason many people try to claim they designed it. Bill Putnam rooms are still highly revered. There's a reason for it. You hear better, you can make better decisions during both tracking and mixing...everything important outside of the performance when it comes down to making a record right.

Hope that makes sense...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
how much does a room matter in 2013?
Paul summed it up when he replied "It is" when Dave asked why it couldn't always be this easy.

In a good room with good mics and equipment you're more of an audience member than Engineer...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
can everyone please report this guy so we can continue a cool thread about a cool studio?
+1
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
. . . so we can continue a cool thread about a cool studio?
One of the elements of the movie was seeing the musicians enjoy the process of making music together. I particularly liked seeing the small crowd of friends in the room when RATM was tracking.

When I see live bands around town, I enjoy seeing and listening to the perform together. That's what make a band, a band. To capture that energy and attitude in a studio absolutely affects the music.

Conversely, when the band members are agitated towards each other, when animosity is prevalent, the music will be inferior. Can anyone say "Let It Be"?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
Many people track in crappy rooms all the time. The more I realize the real importance of getting a track right, the more I REALLY get it, the more it boils down to the player and the room. The performance is, after all, THE most important thing on the recording...so, why would you ruin that artists performance by sticking that drummer, or guitar cab in a room that's slappy, too bright, too dead, etc...get the room right, make sure frequencies aren't competing with each other, balance out ambience and control it the way you know how to mix...it's what I did, and I haven't looked back. If you watch Sound City, they claim it was mostly luck, but for some reason many people try to claim they designed it. Bill Putnam rooms are still highly revered. There's a reason for it. You hear better, you can make better decisions during both tracking and mixing...everything important outside of the performance when it comes down to making a record right.

Hope that makes sense...
Yes, thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat ➡️
In a good room with good mics and equipment you're more of an audience member than Engineer...
Nice way of putting it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_Photo ➡️
One of the elements of the movie was seeing the musicians enjoy the process of making music together. I particularly liked seeing the small crowd of friends in the room when RATM was tracking.

When I see live bands around town, I enjoy seeing and listening to the perform together. That's what make a band, a band. To capture that energy and attitude in a studio absolutely affects the music.

Conversely, when the band members are agitated towards each other, when animosity is prevalent, the music will be inferior. Can anyone say "Let It Be"?
I agree, while I don't get to record in this way a lot (because most of my clients cannot! - which sux), I have in the past with my band...and it's fan-F***ing-tastic!! The results are just there!

As far as the movie is concnerned, there were some key moments for me...

- I absolutely loved it in the beginning where Dave's narrating. It feels like a real movie as opposed to a documentary. At one point he says "we packed our stuff and hit the road...our destination? Sound City!". I swear to you I was gitty like the first time I captured a drumset and it sounded right...totally set the mood...

I kid you not, at that moment when the music kicked in and they started showing credits, I paused it, went and ordered a steak and vegetables to-go at Longhorn(mostly because it's right around the corner), came home, poured a glass of wine, cranked the volume and watched the rest of what was to be an amazing movie!!

- I also loved the story about Fleetwood Mac...I had no idea Sound City was so instrumental in them being put together as a group.

- It was touching right after the mentioned that Joe passed, Rick Springfield seemed really emotional and said "I didn't treat him well...but I'm glad we got to make up before he passed'.

There were a few emotional moments in the film that just made the film perfect. I loved all of Tom Petty's appearances, Barresi's appearances...Barry Manilow was wierd...I also love how Stephen Pearcy talks and Warren Demartini, who I'd actually like to hear more from and is a wicked guitar, doesn't say a damn thing!! Yes, he's sitting right next to him...lol...

So yeah, loved the movie! Congrats to those involved...I think I'm going to blast the F*** out of it on Facebook tonight to all my peers who play clubs like me...might just make it a status update...

I think everyone needs to watch this movie...
Lives for gear

Quote:
So yeah, loved the movie! Congrats to those involved...I think I'm going to blast the F*** out of it on Facebook tonight to all my peers who play clubs like me...might just make it a status update...

I think everyone needs to watch this movie...
You would probably also like the classic albums series that mtv made, back when they had integrity. There are a bunch of them up on netflix.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nice way of putting it.
I'll be honest though...I like the feeling when the band gives you credit for sounding the way they sound...they make you feel like they couldn't have done it if it wasn't for you and your skills as and engineer or producer...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You would probably also like the classic albums series that mtv made, back when they had integrity. There are a bunch of them up on netflix.
I'll def have to check them out...I love that kind of stuff...makes me fall in love with my studio all over again...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It matters big time. Mics only capture what is in the room. If the room sounds like poop, then you have a crappy sound to start with, and thats at best an uphill battle.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
Roundbadge I have read your posts here for over 3 months and you can't even write a complete sentence. You have no right to call me a clown when it's obvious you didn't even make it to the 5 grade where punctuation is mandatory.

But check out this SoundCity drum sound. These lyrics are pretty low on the intelligence scale for those who are challenged. Luckily there you are proof that someone can have a 60 IQ and record for a living. That is good news !!!

No grammar ? no problem !!! No dictionary? no sweat!!! No capitalization? no problem-o
Sound City room sound? Priceless

I protest Dave's film. Why was RATT not represented?

I love how my previous Dio post got deleted? Whats' the matter? jealous? that the best drum sound ever at sound*hitty was from a metal band? Truth hurts boys and and girls.

Enjoy!!

Emit...wow...you're just stooping low now...

Look, Roundbadge has been around these parts for a LONG time and has insightful posts fuled by passion and heart...not negativity, like yours...

On top of that, he's managed to stay on here well over 5 years and I've not once seen a person react negatively toward him...I respect his opinion and insight as do others on here. If there's one thing I've learned about certain people on a forum, some of them you take with a grain of salt and others, you take the time to read what they write...I sincerely hope you don't think you'll be able to go into any other thread and be taken seriously at this point...

When it comes to a song like 'Round and Round', you can clearly hear the vibe, energy and essence of fun that's going on when listening to the whole track. Isolating the drums, guitars, what have you, or analyzinng the lyrics has nothing to do with why that song became a hit after being promoted by radio and tv...

Lastly, this is a forum, not a college course...I don't always write in complete sentences because it's neither necessary nor required, however if you're going to knock somebody for a skill they should have acquired in 5th grade, you better damn well have your **** together when it comes to skills you should have learned in kindergarten, which is something to the nature of 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'.

You have ruined the celebration of others who share the same passion for a studio that certainly has its place in the music industry. That you don't share those same thoughts should have only told you that you shouldn't have written anything in the first place...

Pleasure meeting you...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
And the abuse/baiting/trolling just keeps coming.
Yes,why bother.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just noted multiple deletion of emitsweet posts!

I have faith again in this community!

I had never seen a poster be as baiting, trolling and seemingly with an unknown negative agenda. Really seemed to enjoy pissing on everybody's Wheaties.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 ➡️
Just noted multiple deletion of emitsweet posts!

I have faith again in this community!

I had never seen a poster be as baiting, trolling and seemingly with an unknown negative agenda. Really seemed to enjoy pissing on everybody's Wheaties.
Yeah, it's a shame that it had to go that way. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a negative person, I almost never fire off at anyone...but he stepped over a few boundaries for me...was clearly just firing off negative thoughts only because it's a forum and I guess he thought he just could...

So gentleman, sorry for the rant, but I just felt it was needed...I waited for someone else to do it and noone did...then he fired off and straight out insulted roundbadge who is actually one of few who when he expresses an opinion, it's because he's actually tried the friggin' piece or has actual experience in the subject...people just need to learn their place...

He then went on saying where was 'Ratt' in the movie when Stephen Pearcy and Warren Demartini were clearly making appearances throughout...that just told me he was talking out his you know what this whole time...

Anyway, again, sorry for my rant...let's get this thread back on topic about a studio where 'real men record'!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...let's get this thread back on topic about a studio where 'real men record'!!!
Real women, too! heh

Seeing/hearing Stevie Nicks sing in the movie was great. Her voice will always be magical.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Lets put it this way.
No plug in or computer will ever replace what a good room does for sound vibe and performance.
Ever.
My best recording day EVER was at Sound City. I tracked 12 instrumental blues tunes in 8 hours, live on the floor, solos live as well, with musicians who had never seen the material. No charts, everything by ear. It was a great hang with Tony Braunigal, Josh Sklair, and Reggie McBride, and every moment of a great day was captured on tape.

Sorry Dave, I didn't need 15 days to do my record! Such was the power of SOOOOUUUUNNNNDDD CCCCIIITTTTTYYYYYY !

(just kidding Dave, I guess the extra 14 days is why everybody's heard of Nirvana but nobody's heard of the ReAnimators.)

Remember, up is louder!

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat ➡️
Paul summed it up when he replied "It is" when Dave asked why it couldn't always be this easy.

As a composer we call those "point and duck" sessions.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One thing Grohl neglected to tell you in his doc is that the Leslie 147 at Sound City GOES TO 11 !!!

-R
Attached Thumbnails
Sound City - movie directed by Dave Grohl-goes-11.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF ➡️
Real women, too! heh

Seeing/hearing Stevie Nicks sing in the movie was great. Her voice will always be magical.
Yes, sorry to offend anyone...I was moreso quoting Shivaun from the film...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, sorry to offend anyone...I was moreso quoting Shivaun from the film...
Sylvia Massy also recorded a bunch of albums at Sound City

Cheers,

Rail
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Loved the movie. But that whole Pro Tools is the devil was so lame. Get with the program if you run a studio. It's your own fault that people chose other studios with the latest equipment. A movie theater that does not upgrade to HD will lose visitors as well. Stop wining about it and learn to run a business duuuudes...

But like i said. Loved the movie. It's cool to have plugins that can do excactly what that board and tape does now 100% accurate.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standstraight ➡️
It's cool to have plugins that can do excactly what that board and tape does now 100% accurate.
Maybe it's a language thing? Gotta be a joke.....I hope!

Probably the wink! Sometimes smilies are a little vague as to actual intent.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standstraight ➡️
Loved the movie. But that whole Pro Tools is the devil was so lame. Get with the program if you run a studio. It's your own fault that people chose other studios with the latest equipment. A movie theater that does not upgrade to HD will lose visitors as well. Stop wining about it and learn to run a business duuuudes... )
I think you missed the point.. It's not because Sound City never owned a Pro Tools rig.. they could easily rent one and supply it.. the issue is that they lost their overdub business which will be the death of all the major studios. You cannot sustain a business based on only tracking dates... when everyone can just come in for 5 days then leave and do their overdubs at home or in a $200/day room using a single mic pre and a Pro Tools rig. The advent of Pro Tools meant that the overdubs could be done elsewhere at a fraction of the cost... the fact that Sound City didn't own a Pro Tools rig is irrelevant.

Add in the fact that the owners rented the space adjacent to Studio B to a foley studio meant that Studio B couldn't be used for recording because of bleed into the next door unit just cut deeper into the income of the studio.

Rail
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont know, I feel like I am old when I say this, but I really miss hearing what a band sounded like in a space, especially one that was kind to the sound.

This is going to sound really nostalgic, and you have to like to the music to get it, but I think the Beatles first record/lp (Please Please Me) had such a great "room" sound.

All the albums after are incredible, but in many ways, the "room" wasn't as featured anymore (with notable exceptions) It's not a case of right or wrong, it was just a choice of how records were made. Same could be said of some of Sinatra's best recordings, a band, orchestra and singer in one big, glorious room.

How about on Rumors, where they took Christine McVie into a concert hall and mic'd it all up for Songbird. Talk about the sound of a room!

I remember a gig i had, a long, long time ago at an all girl college in western Mass. They set us up in a big, high ceiling room, up on a low stage, with old, old dense hardwood all around and genuine acoustic treatments placed around the room. We had a marginal PA, but that night was the best we ever sounded. There were like 200 female college students, 25 invited college guys, and 10 of our buddies in the audience, all dancing like fools.

A room can bring magic. It did that night. The drummer has a tape of it. Anyone know where Ted Watson is these days?
Closed