Quantcast
Sound City - movie directed by Dave Grohl - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound City - movie directed by Dave Grohl
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #181
Lives for gear
 
audiogeek's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
oops yeah, I always call Bruce Fairbairn.... Butch, and I call Butch.... Bruce
I'm not into the pop rock production scene, so I get the names confused.
Lordalge brothers names I always get mixed up too.
Wait a minute, hang on guys...

Inexplicable enmity toward a Dave Grohl project... Unique knack for stretching a silly argument waaaay longer than it has any reason to be... Seemingly well informed on 80's hair band scene... Deliberate mixing up of various people's names...

Robert Shaw, is that YOU?????

...All we need is a rant about how much better AC/DC is than any of these other artists...
Old 5th February 2013
  #182
Gear Addict
 
TexasCat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Great movie about a little bit of Rock History! It brought back allot of memories for me as I can relate to allot of this movie. I spent allot of time in a studio very similar to this early on in my career and thought then that after my performing days were over I'd build a studio. Well after the 80's were over I did just that but learned a hard lesson that the "business" had changed. I embraced technology but my studio turned out many more commercials than albums because that's what it took to pay the bills. I was too late in the game because the "Good ole days" were over. I finally closed the doors and only recently put together a home studio for my own amusement. You can blame it on technology but it's really just about change. It's called "Pop" for a reason...
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #183
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Can you buy this on a DVD?
Or is it just downloads?
Old 5th February 2013
  #184
Gear Nut
 
Chris Martins's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DVD coming in march IIRC, only downloads for now.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #185
Gear Addict
 
AwTAC's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
They actually made real mechanical ones in the 1960s.
Yes, I am intimately familiar, I own an M400.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #186
Lives for gear
 
mitzush's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz ➡️
What a great movie. Seen two times by now and will see it again for sure (several times). I really enjoyed it, big time. I must see for every one that's involved in the music. Congrats to every one involved in the movie, awesome job.
+1

Totally agree with this
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #187
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek ➡️
Wait a minute, hang on guys...

Inexplicable enmity toward a Dave Grohl project... Unique knack for stretching a silly argument waaaay longer than it has any reason to be... Seemingly well informed on 80's hair band scene... Deliberate mixing up of various people's names...

Robert Shaw, is that YOU?????

...All we need is a rant about how much better AC/DC is than any of these other artists...
I have to be honest, I was going to say the same thing back a page ago or so, but decided not to fan the flames, and worried that I may have just been being overly cynical. But, since you were overly cynical for me, I now feel like I can hide behind you and yell, "Bo right", and let you take the heat for it.
Old 5th February 2013
  #188
Lives for gear
 
mikeka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I worked there a number of times back in the day .... One question unanswered for me was what ultimately happened to the room and the building? Building torn down? Room still there? Someone's private studio? Now a drycleaners or ???
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #189
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka ➡️
Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I worked there a number of times back in the day .... One question unanswered for me was what ultimately happened to the room and the building? Building torn down? Room still there? Someone's private studio? Now a drycleaners or ???
http://fairfaxrecordings.com/
privately owned by a record producer/label.
the room has been renovated.looks great.
some might not realize it but you see the renovated room all over the movie.. a lot of the still photos/interviews[Skeeter] and some performance footage were all shot in the redone space.
most all the other band stuff was done at Grohls place with the console installed.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #190
Lives for gear
 
RKrizman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Fairfax Recordings
privately owned by a record producer/label.
the room has been renovated.looks great.
some might not realize it but you see the renovated room all over the movie.. a lot of the still photos/interviews[Skeeter] and some performance footage were all shot in the redone space.
I think that should have been documented. That room deserves its due, right along with the console.

-R
1
Share
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #191
Lives for gear
 
lobsterinn's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Fairfax Recordings
privately owned by a record producer/label.
the room has been renovated.looks great.
some might not realize it but you see the renovated room all over the movie.. a lot of the still photos/interviews[Skeeter] and some performance footage were all shot in the redone space.
most all the other band stuff was done at Grohls place with the console installed.
That certainly makes the film seem a little melodramatic. The studio still exists, just under different management and name. The new owner has obviously put some love and money into the place. The old Neve seems cool and all, but...sheesh.

Whatever. It is a fun film anyways.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #192
Lives for gear
 
Hypnotic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Fairfax Recordings
privately owned by a record producer/label.
the room has been renovated.looks great.
some might not realize it but you see the renovated room all over the movie.. a lot of the still photos/interviews[Skeeter] and some performance footage were all shot in the redone space.
most all the other band stuff was done at Grohls place with the console installed.
excuse my ignorance, but is that an ssl that they have in the new room?

Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #193
Lives for gear
 
RKrizman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I think Ronin deserves a bump here. More informal, but interesting.

Sound City Studios Documentary. Neil Young to Metallica to Kyuss to Tom Petty to Nirvana | Ronan's Recording Show

-R
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #194
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwTAC ➡️
Yes, I am intimately familiar, I own an M400.
well m400 is a 70s unit, the originals did in fact loop at least mine does. Your has tape "strips" Also the older units which preceded the
Melltron like the Birotron and the chambelin looped.


you knew what I meant even if you didn't , your m400 is essentially a sampler and that was my point

this is all off topic
1
Share
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #195
Gear Addict
 
AwTAC's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️

this is all off topic
Im sorry, please return to your epic trolling, its the best thing I have read in years on the internet.

thanks!
Old 6th February 2013
  #196
Gear Maniac
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It thought the film was fantastic and honest. The Trent Reznor jam was transcendent.

Are people really hating on a film which is part love story about a Neve console......on Gearslutz?
1
Share
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #197
Registered User
 
Rick Sutton's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz ➡️
FFS stop calling him Bruce!
Bruce isn't that far off.......just don't call him Shirley.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #198
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewig ➡️
Cause they talked up all these ideals throughout the movie, but then at end showed that you can have all the amazing gear, the collaborative vibe, the live playing, the lauded producer, and some of the greatest songwriters and players alive... yet still just end up with a bunch of mediocre ass songs.
My thoughts exactly.
1
Share
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #199
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
Foo fighters are the new hair metal. The hair just on their faces.
Hahahahahahaha! That NEEDS to be a t-shirt.
1
Share
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #200
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
he dislikes digital because quite frankly it exposes more and is less forgiving of sloppy musicianship and subpar recording sources. Analog saturation and compressors cover things up.
Been recording since 1980 and I've never heard that one before.
Complete hogwash.
Recording anyone (any time) exposes their performance to examination.
In 1980 you had little choice but to keep going until the performance was as good as it could be. Now you can reshape an average performance.
Based on that, a sub-par musician would prefer digital. Not that I would for a moment suggest Grohl is sub-par........ far from it.
1
Share
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #201
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➡️
excuse my ignorance, but is that an ssl that they have in the new room?

Def not an ssl
It's a very old school purist simple approach there.
likely more analog/old school approach than Grohl will ever be.
I believe He had a custom super simple straight wire kinda thing made to the right and looks like added another vintage console on the left.
Don't know what is.
The mic collection would make you puke..sick.
The good news:There's still real music being made in that room.
The bad news: you can't just book a session anymore, it's a private facility.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #202
Lives for gear
 
Hypnotic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Been recording since 1980 and I've never heard that one before.
Complete hogwash.
Recording anyone (any time) exposes their performance to examination.
In 1980 you had little choice but to keep going until the performance was as good as it could be. Now you can reshape an average performance.
Based on that, a sub-par musician would prefer digital. Not that I would for a moment suggest Grohl is sub-par........ far from it.
First time I had heard that one too. I mean, give me a break. People used to be able to sing, precisely because autotune didn't exist, not the other way around. Same goes for any other instrument and it's correcting technology.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #203
Lives for gear
 
Hypnotic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Def not an ssl
It's a very old school purist simple approach there.
I believe He had a custom super simple straight wire kinda thing made to the right and looks like added another vintage console on the left.
Don't know what is.
The mic collection would make you puke..sick.
The good news:There's still real music being made in that room.
The bad news: you can't just book a session anymore, it's a private facility.
Thanks! Next newb question, what the hell is all that outboard stuff on the left, and why are there so many of them?
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #204
Lives for gear
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➡️
Bruce isn't that far off.......just don't call him Shirley.
Surely not.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #205
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➡️
Thanks! Next newb question, what the hell is all that outboard stuff on the left, and why are there so many of them?
It's a multi-track tape machine - one panel and vu for each track.

16 track 2"?
1
Share
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #206
Registered User
 
Rick Sutton's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
It's a multi-track tape machine - one panel and vu for each track.

16 track 2"?
Looks like an old Scully 280 to me.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #207
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
yes-Scully 16
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #208
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
if you wanna hear the new room in all its glory.
download the Last Bison "Inheritance" EP.
it seriously does NOT suck sonically.

and specifically to this emitsweet clown:tell me how "cheap" this record sounds.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #209
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
+1
(sigh)
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #210
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
can everyone please report this guy so we can continue a cool thread about a cool studio?
Closed

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 196 views: 39474
Avatar for DONNX
DONNX 25th July 2010
replies: 56 views: 5810
Avatar for soulstudios
soulstudios 25th January 2011
replies: 295 views: 72452
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 178658
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:

Forum Jump
Forum Jump