Quantcast
Older Gray Mogami cable - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Older Gray Mogami cable
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Older Gray Mogami cable

Hey guys, I just got a new studio space to get going with my studio and took a look at the existing patch bays yesterday.
For the most part they used an older looking gray Mogami three conductor cable. I'd assume it's from probably the 80's. it appears to be in good condition. Is it probably ok to stay with this cable for the time being? Also. I noticed that there is quite a bit of the same cable that was removed from somewhere. Is it worthy of being made into patch cables?

Could I use the gray Mogami as punch block -> outboard connections? I just hate to let possible useful cable go to waste... and I haven't decided on a cable for the punch blocks anyway.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Any opinions?
Old 24th January 2013

🎧 15 years
I've used the older gray Mogami on some projects and it was fine. I don't think I would want it as patch cables due to its small size.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mogami grey cable was typically used for permanent installations. [at least that is what I recall being installed at several studios ... back in the 80s].

The cable jacket tended to be a bit stiffer, so not as 'easy' to work with as, say, an instrument cable.

Also ... it usually came in as a bulk roll.

Was used for in wall mic inputs, patch bay, external toys, and send/returns to tape decks.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Would it be at all suited for punch block -> outboard?
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
fine between the punch block and gear itself, but physically not great as patch bay cable ie . tt plug to tt plug because of its stiffness !
πŸ“ Reply