Quantcast
Acoustic Treatment...SMH!!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Treatment...SMH!!!!
Old 18th January 2013
Acoustic Treatment...SMH!!!!

Currently working on turning my oddly shaped closet into a vocal booth... i know the many reasons why it isnt the best idea, but it is my only option at the momment...its about 5' in length, 3' width, and 8' in height. Im currently considering buying 4'' auralex foam for the ceiling and applying 2" or 3" foam on the walls and doors. I've been recording music for years but always found my self working out alot of the reflections out in the mix, and I'm simply tired of the hassle. I know i cant expect the problem to go away over night but a little improvement is better than none at all...
Old 18th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Better to record in the middle of a bigger room than in a closet with no bass trapping...reflexion filter is your friend...
Old 18th January 2013
Wish I could... my current space just doesn't have a room like that... and my home studio has my 2 yr old son running around lol, so its easier to keep my mic setup in a closeable "vocal booth/closet"

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think Psycho Monkey is pointing out that the lower frequencies are an issue, and foam doesn't absorb them as well as materials like Owens Corning 703, 705, and rock wool. The Reflexion Filter contains acoustic grade wool, which I guess is rock wool.
Old 18th January 2013
I actually have a reflection filter... traps vocals well but does very little to keep reflections out... but I guess that's not what its ment to do

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For something that small (and I agree with others that it's too small to be very useful) you'd want to avoid auralex or any thin foam. You'd cover every surface with minimum 4" 703/705/rockwool with fabric over it. 6" would be better. Foam is bad at absorbing low frequencies, but is very good with high frequencies. So you'd basically be putting an EQ on the room that was a big shelf cut starting at 500hz or so and getting steeper. Not good. In addition, a room that small will inherently have strong modal issues in the bass. So with 6" of absorption your room becomes 2'x4'x7.5' - can you fit in there? I can't. Or 2'4 x 4'4 x 7'8 if you do 4" insulation.

The good news is insulation is cheap, so you could try it without much risk. It might not work, or it might be okay.
Old 18th January 2013
Rockwool... can I get something like that at a home depot?

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sometimes sorta kinda, your better bet is to call a local building supply company.

But also still a terrible idea, you're barely going to be able to fit in there, odds are it will still sound awful and small and muffled and stuffy, be really uncomfortable to work in, and probably hot once you're in there for a few minutes.

Why can't you just keep your son out of the home studio room while you work? Seems like the much easier option.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also think you need to get more specific about what the "reflections" are in your scenario. Are we talking flutter echo, weird acoustics from the room sounding boomy or strange... could just be a mic placement issue, or an issue that you're hearing over your monitor system in an untreated room.

Also I think the vocals in the song in your signature sound good/clear, where'd you do those?
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx ➑️
I actually have a reflection filter... traps vocals well but does very little to keep reflections out... but I guess that's not what its ment to do

Sent from my LG-C729
Yes, keeping reflections out are exactly what it's meant to do! Not sure what "traps vocals" means though?

As has been alluded, a closet is simply too small to treat for bass trapping. A bass trap is typically about a foot deep as it is (6" of rockwool, 6" of air gap behind it)...and generally in a small space (like a bedroom for a home studio) you run out of space before you've done enough bass trapping, hence the reason it's really difficult to get a good sounding small room. When you go into a professional vocal booth, all that trapping is in the walls already.

Treating your main space with bass trapping, perhaps with a couple of moveable screens to cut down reflections, plus using the reflection filter as well, should get you the best vocal capture you can in the space you have. Also reducing ambient noise as much as you can would be a good idea.
Old 19th January 2013
That song was recorded in my old studio in a similarly small vocal booth covered in 2 inch thick auralex foam top to bottom and thick carpet on the floor... my actual problem isn't the playback when mixing... its the low end reflections when recording vocals... when moving to my new studio the space in the truck was limited and the foam simply wouldn't fit... so I had to toss it, now I have a fairly untreated booth with make-shift treatment (blankets and bed foam)...

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 19th January 2013
Deleted User
I would think you need bass traps in the closet to knock it down as was said. May not be enough space though.

Best solution was given:
"Treating your main space with bass trapping, perhaps with a couple of moveable screens to cut down reflections, plus using the reflection filter as well, should get you the best vocal capture you can in the space you have. Also reducing ambient noise as much as you can would be a good idea."
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx ➑️
That song was recorded in my old studio in a similarly small vocal booth covered in 2 inch thick auralex foam top to bottom and thick carpet on the floor... my actual problem isn't the playback when mixing... its the low end reflections when recording vocals... when moving to my new studio the space in the truck was limited and the foam simply wouldn't fit... so I had to toss it, now I have a fairly untreated booth with make-shift treatment (blankets and bed foam)...

Sent from my LG-C729
Recording in a closet is going to make those low end reflections 100x worse.

And treating the main room won't hurt it as a mix space either.
Old 19th January 2013
Thanks, I guess I'll just take my chances and if it doesn't work out ill try to record in my control room... that's definitely going to be my last resort

Sent from my LG-C729
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…