Quantcast
WEEN_Vocal effects - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WEEN_Vocal effects
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
WEEN_Vocal effects

Listened to Ween this evening. It's been a while. Had a good listen. Does anyone have the scoop on the effects and/or processors (racks, stompboxes, tape effects, etc.) that they used on their vocals...especially the almost-but-not-quite clean vocals. And for pitch variation?

I would've thought that there was already a thread on this topic. Looked and couldn't find one.

Ween - Chocolate and Cheese (1994) [Full Album] - YouTube
Ween - The Mollusk (1997) [Full Album] - YouTube
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I saw a documentary on them years ago.
I remember they demonstrated their pitch shift effect, which was simply adjusting the master pitch on their tape machine. Can't remember what they used, but it was something like a tascam 4 or 8 track. I only remember that cos I was amazed that's how they did it.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do this all the time with my band. Record to cassette and alter the pitch. So if you want it to sound lower pitched, record it at a higher speed then bring it back to normal speed and it will sound deeper. The reverse goes for the higher pitched stuff: Slow it down when recording the vocals, then bring it back up to speed.

Main problem with this is learning to sing the songs at a different speed/pitch. But you get used to it.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gene and Dean Ween are bananas.

As for vocal effects, the one that stands out to me is the 'varispeed' effect already mentioned.

That and copious amounts of chorus/flange from time to time.

Their songs are so...unique...that it really depends on which one your'e talking about. Did you have an example in mind?
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They have mentioned in interviews that they are big fans of recording with various Electro Harmonix pedals. Microsynth, Deluxe Memory Man, Stereo Polychorus, et al.

The funny thing is (having seen them play live too many times to mention), Gene can mimic some of the pitch shifting effect with his own voice, so some of that sound is natural for him and not all effects processing.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
lol, saw WEEN and had to click. I think the main key is to get high as a loaf of bread first - then, the gear actually adapts to your awesomeness. Radio shack mic becomes U47, etc
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, forgot that. Lots of nitrous.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've never heard ween until I saw this thread so I youtube'd em. I think I'd have to be a stoner to get their music.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
...or be interested in absurdity, originality, creativity, experimentation, dark humor, or satire. if all of the above, then there's a good chance that you're already a fan.

personally, i rarely listen to ween, but would not hesitate declaring myself a fan. and most importantly (concerning this thread) i haven't listened since really getting into recording over the past few years. rediscovering music with new sensibilities is one of the great benefits of learning the recording arts.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek ➑️
Their songs are so...unique...that it really depends on which one your'e talking about. Did you have an example in mind?
Unfortunately I'm not really specifically attracted to any one in particular, just researching vocal effects that have sound that is peculiar/odd but not too wild.

Right now if I had that as prompt (say, a little odd) I would mess around with a Whammy. That thing can do some cool stuff on vocals (esp. detune) when blended in just right. A tiny touch of boss oc-2 can be interesting/gurgly. And/or I have an MXR flanger/doubler, but I wouldn't call that odd.

Anyways, here are a few, to answer your question.
Chocolate and Cheese: Take Me Away, Roses Are Free, and Mister Won't You Please Help My Pony. Baby Bitch may also have a tiny bit of something, but may be pretty clean?

Mollusk: Golden Eel, Cold Blows the Wind, Buckingham Green, Ocean Man

FYI, those youtube links have track ID's.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Maniac

I LOVE WEEN! One of my all time favorites.

Aside from just the great vocal effects, their records sound really killer in general. Particularly fond of Chris Shaw's work on White Pepper, that's one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard. On "Exactly Where I'm At", when the first verse is all weird and HPF/LPFed, and then the second verse kicks in all lush and huge... oh man.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Paul ➑️
I LOVE WEEN! One of my all time favorites.

Aside from just the great vocal effects, their records sound really killer in general.
+1! I grew up listening to Chocolate and Cheese. I had it on cassette back in the day. I always loved their vocal sounds. The pursuit of some of their vocal FX is the main reason I keep asking for Varispeed features to be implemented simply/properly into Cubase. It sucks to have to go through all of these work-around steps or use another program to accomplish this when I already paid for Cubase. I just wish there was a simple Varispeed slider in Cubase.

Check out the Varispeed here:

This song is more normal, but this Ween song is awesome, too:

And by the way, I don't do drugs. But, i love me some Ween!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unexplainedbacon ➑️
I've never heard ween until I saw this thread so I youtube'd em. I think I'd have to be a stoner to get their music.
From the late 90's through their recent (alleged) breakup, they were one of the best live Rock bands of all times. No joke. They have always had a weird, lo-fi recording aesthetic, but in a live setting they channeled all the classic rock greats - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Hendrix, Beatles, Stones - they had that kind of vibe and sound (sadly, they have never captured this vibe in their official live releases, but you can hear it on some bootlegs - you really had to be there in person to fell the power and the fury, though).
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➑️
From the late 90's through their recent (alleged) breakup, they were one of the best live Rock bands of all times. No joke. They have always had a weird, lo-fi recording aesthetic, but in a live setting they channeled all the classic rock greats - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Hendrix, Beatles, Stones - they had that kind of vibe and sound (sadly, they have never captured this vibe in their official live releases, but you can hear it on some bootlegs - you really had to be there in person to fell the power and the fury, though).
I completely agree. I saw their last shows at the Fillmore in Denver last new years eve. Seriously, the greatest 3 days of shows I've ever seen. They played 91 songs over those three nights with only 2 repeats. They closed the show with a version of "the blarney stone" that blew my mind with how hard it rocked. And alot of those vocal effects were just Gene singing like the effects. And Mickey's guitar tone was just awesome.

I'll NEVER forget it.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apologies for the shameless plug and thread hijack, but if you guys are into Ween then you might want to take a minute to check out my band. We're really into Ween, especially the early stuff.

It's essentially just some grown men dicking around, but I reckon you can hear a bit of the Ween influence there. A lot of this album was recorded on 4-track cassette too, which is always nice.

HELLO BAMBOO
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoholByVolume ➑️
I completely agree. I saw their last shows at the Fillmore in Denver last new years eve. Seriously, the greatest 3 days of shows I've ever seen. They played 91 songs over those three nights with only 2 repeats. They closed the show with a version of "the blarney stone" that blew my mind with how hard it rocked. And alot of those vocal effects were just Gene singing like the effects. And Mickey's guitar tone was just awesome.

I'll NEVER forget it.
Hell yeah, their versatility and sheer breadth of their repertoire is crazy. I saw them on two different tours, and each time they played three-hour sets. And other than just a few staples, there was almost NO overlap in the two sets!
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Paul ➑️
… On "Exactly Where I'm At", when the first verse is all weird and HPF/LPFed, and then the second verse kicks in all lush and huge... oh man.
That HP/LP effect is Gener's voice through a real leslie cabinet.
Glad you like that song. It was only a fragment of an idea that Gene had that we developed into a song.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw ➑️
That HP/LP effect is Gener's voice through a real leslie cabinet.
Glad you like that song. It was only a fragment of an idea that Gene had that we developed into a song.
Thank you Chris for that info! Please beg them to get back to work for us, the world needs a new Ween LP.
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
3M Scotchgard
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➑️
3M Scotchgard

Wasn't there a story of how they wanted a muffled vocal sound so Gene got in the trunk of a car to record the vocals then fell asleep and was forgotten about?

Could be another urban myth.

GodWeenSatan and The Pod were soundtracks to my mis-spent youth.
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Did any of you ever read their dis of Olive Garden? It was on their web site and was eventually taken down but it was hilarious as well as accurate. I wish I had a copy of it.
πŸ“ Reply