Quantcast
Anyone else having issues watching videos on youtube? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone else having issues watching videos on youtube?
Old 15th December 2012

🎧 15 years
Anyone else having issues watching videos on youtube?

It seems like my videos are viewable when embedded on gs and fb but I can't view them from youtube:

jameslugo's channel - YouTube

I'm having issues watching other people's videos too. Some play, some don't. I have 3 different computers, getting same results. It seems like yt is revamping their system, does anyone know what's up? Some people say they can see my vids, some say they can't.
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
just looked a couple of your vids on YouTube, they seem to be playing fine from here

haven't noticed any problems with others either.

I am in New York, my ISP is Optimum cable.
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This has been happening to me with Safari lately. Switching to a different browser seems to help
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
over in the computer forum, others are reporting problems

here is one guy who may have a fix
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz ➑️
There was an issue with something that Youtube was trialling recently - I can't remember what it was now, but a search brought up an answer that involved switching off what ever Youtube was doing and hey presto - my youtube issue was sorted. Don't know if it's the same issue, and can't remember the specifics of the fix right now - but there was definitely a youtube issue and no problem with my OS. HTH

Edit - it's probably not the HTML5 trial I was thinking of, but you can opt out in case on this page http://www.youtube.com/html5 - I'm sure it was something else that i had to do, but while I was searching I found these 2 solutions to sound issues that might do the trick http://phpkitchen.com/2008/04/mac-os...-probs-solved/ and https://discussions.apple.com/thread...readID=1305285
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo ➑️
It seems like my videos are viewable when embedded on gs and fb but I can't view them from youtube:

I'm having issues watching other people's videos too. Some play, some don't. I have 3 different computers, getting same results. It seems like yt is revamping their system, does anyone know what's up? Some people say they can see my vids, some say they can't.

Same here i can't see 80 % of the YouTube vid, i'm on a MAC with Safari.... But i can see ALL the video with Firefox....... Strange
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
There have been a number of problems with Adobe Flash for most of the last year. There was a version released (in January?) that had serious problems in Windows XP.

I primarily use Chrome and Firefox (I also have IE and, typically, Safari, as my day job is web junk).

Firefox, which uses the current general release of Flash, had problems with YouTube audio and picture stuttering for most of the first part of the year for me.

I couldn't figure what was going on -- I was blaming FF -- but then I read a tech support answer on the streaming subscription site for MOG (the service I use) that indicated that the current version of Flash had problems running in XP and everyone should either switch to their desktop version or to (the browser-based player running in) Chrome, which runs a separate [older] version of Flash 'custom built' into the Chrome browser.

Sometime around the summer/beginning of fall, a Flash update finally fixed the problems in Flash in Firefox.

But THEN not long after, I'm guessing the Flash version built into Chrome was updated (still lagging) to the 'buggy' version of Flash... so now, on my XP rig, Firefox works fine for Youtube and other Flash content -- but Chrome stutters the picture (not as bad as firefox) but the sound starts sounding like it's underwater, typically within a few minutes. (Flash in Chrome also seems to go wack whenever Firefox opens on anything with Flash content. Which is, you know, the overwhelming majority of public facing commercial websites.)

I've never liked Adobe much but they have really worn out their welcome around here...

(And, damn, I wish they'd never bought Macromedia, which also delivered the once-useful Dreamweaver web dev tool into their gnarled claws.)
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep, started today that 90% of youtube vids simply won't load.

The other 10% work as usual.

Since it was mentioned that the problem might be Adobe Flash I just downloaded the latest version but it did not make a blind bit of difference.
(I use Safari)

PS: James the top vid on your channel won't load but all the ones lower down work fine for me.
Old 15th December 2012
Founder

We can have a look on Monday. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 15th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. ➑️
Since it was mentioned that the problem might be Adobe Flash I just downloaded the latest version but it did not make a blind bit of difference.
(I use Safari)

Same here about downloading the latest version of flash for safari.

When i use Firefox with YouTube a strange warning appear.it said that a
Adobe flashmedia plugin is not compatible and got to be remove because it can cause harm ....... Weird. so i got to be a problem between YouTube and adobe flash players.
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Maniac
They don't work in Safari but with Firefox is OK.
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I chased this problem for most of the last year. No kidding.

Mind you, I can't say that my interpretation is for sure correct. It's just the best I've been able to put together from what I've read -- as well as from a long Adobe support thread where a (clearly long-suffering) staffer named Chris was trying to help scores of people with a number of (seemingly) related Flash problems.

My problems are not strictly on YT, btw. The Flash audio problems that appeared at first in Firefox and subsequently in Chrome showed up on YT but also using the browser-based MOG subscription player -- which must use Flash per their agreements with labels for secure content reasons -- although their desktop app player apparently uses HTML5 for its audio [while still using Flash for the UI controls, as I recall, since HTML5 is, a) not an actual standard yet (multiple implementations, and the horrible phenom of proprietary 'extensions') and b) does not appear to have nearly the same support for UI programming as Flash.

(My MOG problem is complicated by the fact that, while the audio now plays OK in Firefox, the browser based player's UI is so javascript heavy that it really bogs down in FF, although it's reasonable enough in Chrome with its superfast js engine. Unfortunately, of course, Chrome still has a 'buggy' versoin of Flash built in. So... what do I do? I use MOG on my Google Nexus 7 tablet, despite the fact that means I can't use my 'pro' converters, instead having the audio output from the tatty converters in the $200 tablet.)

MEANWHILE... as long as Flash isn't involved in any sites I'm viewing/visiting everything is hunky dory. (But disabling Flash doesn't seem to help as the links to 'missing/ Flash content seem to F everything up, too)

So, while I can't watch even low bandwidth content without stuttering (in Chrome) on YT -- I can watch HD movies from Netflix -- which, thank heaven, uses Microsoft's competing Silverlight media plugin -- and which provides the best video playback and images I've seen on an ongoing basis on my machine.
Old 15th December 2012
Founder

So is it a GS forum problem? Or a new YouTube experiment / trial?
Old 15th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
James is reporting his GS embedded videos are playing OK, just not the ones on YouTube

I am not having any current problems with either. Everything works fine here.

My Firefox recently upgraded itself and just before that I was having a weird problem where if I tried to skip ahead, my mouse would not 'release' from the playhead marker.

where ever I moved my mouse, left and right, the play head would follow, no amount of clicking would make it let go, and I could no longer pause or stop the video.

not sure if that is connected to these issues.
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think it's a YT problem. The vids that are embedded here work fine and I didn't have a problem with vids embedded elsewhere. It's just when I go to YT directly that most refuse to load. Just get a black viewer and none of that dotted swirly thing. No controls either.
Old 16th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
My problem is pan-YouTube, embedded or on YT itself. And, for me, it's not just YouTube but some other video sites, as well -- it actually appears to be a problem with Flash.

Currently, the latest version of Flash seems to be working [for me on XP] in Firefox.

However, Chrome uses an older Flash version, since they 'hardwire' it into the browser (in a very loose manner of speaking). But you can't update it yourself. I wouldn't be surprised if Safari is the same in this regard as its fellow WebKit-derived not-so-kissin' cousin, Chrome. (I could be wrong.)

Earlier this year, the situation [for me] was reversed: Firefox (with the then-latest Flash plugin) was stuttering and behaving badly -- but Chrome (with its older, custom-fit Flash built-in) was working. But then it appears that Flash got fixed this fall (so Firefox with the latest Flash would work) -- but now the 'bad' version of Flash appears to be the current one in Chrome. (And maybe Safari?)

This stuff drives me NUTS.

And I'm a supposed web professional.
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting....I thought it was me. About a week ago this hit here, exactly the way others describes.

Some stuff is as normal, but I would say 60 percent don"t load. I was looking at some music stuff....everything from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame loaded.....most others didn't.

No clue.
Old 16th December 2012

🎧 15 years
Man this kind of sucks. What's funny is some videos are loading and playing fine.
Old 16th December 2012

🎧 15 years
I just downloaded firefox and youtube is working. What a drag though, most people are on Safari, personally I like Safari more then FF. I wonder if it's gonna fix, has to be taking their videos watched numbers down.
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I installed Ad-Block in Safari & Chrome and had to reboot and re-authorize
my proxie server settings, I also ran the Flash update, no problems.

It could be something as simple as the cache needing to be cleaned.

If you can safely reboot, that can solve a lot of odd ball network issues.
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i had personally numerous and repeating problems with video and macs for a year or longer. Maybe 80% works but there are days when it all just flops or I have to refresh page like 5 times to get video working. Seems like any update to safari or os will break it again, but the problems were also in chromium.
Don't forget that apple despises flash and when they put their minds to it they will try make you to hate it too. Like MAC and non-existing android support. Last night I wanted to transfer files to galaxy tab 2 and after 50 minutes I just gave up, booted PC and was done in a minute.
It always starts with apple mangers disliking some piece of competitors technology that works fine and then in subsequent updates they will make it less and less operable. Now they don't like java so I guess in a year we would have trouble with that too.
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Youtube also changes stuff around every once in a while,
trying to make it more difficult for viewers to download content.

You might just try resetting Safari or going over to Chrome and trying
logging out and back in on youtube.
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Would the embedded ones play OK if you blew them out to full screen? Most of my problems were primarily there in full screen -- although my ongoing problem with stuttering audio in Flash in Chrome (again on Win XP) is irrespective of video size.

FWIW, it's worth noting that it's not just Mac users who are having these issues.

(Also, with regard to Java under Oracle [who bought Sun, Java's creators, in order to get control of Sun's cache of open source software favorites, including the web-as-we-know-it-crucial MySQL database system that powers an enormous amount of web content these days]... Java has had serious ongoing security issues and security experts I trust recommend turning it off in your browser(s) except when its needed.)

FWIW, I never used to have problems with Flash under its creators/old owners, Macromedia. Understood that Flash has had a rockier history on OS X. I even used to do some Flash development work.

But, under Adobe, it seems a sinking ship.*

By the way, I was just checking and the latest version of Flash for Mac Safari is NOT the same as that for Chrome, so no lag, and the issue apparently is not parallel.

You can check your Flash version and see what the latest for your browser/OS is here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html

* Mind you, I'm not taking sides, there. I don't have any love for Adobe. I have less for Apple.
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Blue1 old friend, you've been anti-Apple for as long as I've been a member here. :-)

James is also running some older Mac G5 towers so it may be something related to
updates that no longer support PPC.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
Would the embedded ones play OK if you blew them out to full screen?
Now that you mention it, there were some videos last week I was trying to show to my audio students. Some of the videos would not go up to full-screen no matter what I did. Then for the evening class, they would.

Not much of a pattern, but another one for the pile.

EDIT: a lot of people on the Apple forums say their problems went away when they dropped out of the HTML 5 trial. Most of them say it started with their latest Flash 'upgrade' where they clicked on the 'trial'.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➑️
Blue1 old friend, you've been anti-Apple for as long as I've been a member here. :-)

James is also running some older Mac G5 towers so it may be something related to
updates that no longer support PPC.
Yes, but now I hate everybody.

Because, of course, their boards of directors are telling them all to be more "Apple-like."

heh

[PS... FFTT may have been more responding to now-mostly edited out PS on the post above his, which started out saying that my comments about Adobe didn't mean I was taking Apple's side (in their conflict with Adobe) and then launching into a short list of the top reasons I'm, shall we say, uncomfortable with many of their business practices, particularly when it comes to the corruption of the web standards process and to exploitation and manipulation of the seemingly now perennially confused US Patent system. But I excised most of that as I figured it wasn't really pertinent.]
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Aha!

Seems there a new HTML format trial in the works.

Is YouTube broken or is it just me? - The Gear Page
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➑️
Aha!

Seems there a new HTML format trial in the works.

Is YouTube broken or is it just me? - The Gear Page
Ah, yeah, that would definitely be an issue for those with non-HTML5 ready browsers, as those with old-enough versions of most browsers would be left behind.

This is part of the aggravation of trying to develop for the web at a time when the notion of unified standards is being eroded by the actions of some key players. (And not just the 800 pound albino gorilla in the room, either. )

Of course, Flash was not ever a true open standard -- as HTML5 should be someday -- if the big guys every stop jockeying for proprietary advantage and get back to the idea of working together for the benefit of their own (often overlapping) customer bases.

But, for years it provided a relatively stable platform for the sort of web content that older browsers simply were not equipped to deal with -- and for which no accepted standards existed.

That said, there's no going back. Once Adobe bought Flash, the die was probably cast -- for reasons involving both corporate political strategizing as well as root competency -- Flash had become a complex and much-extended platform and events seem to have proved that Adobe did not have the core competency to carry the platform forward smoothly.

ADDENDUM: For whatever reasons (I'm guessing Chrome/Flash update -- that said, I can't help but notice that the YT UI has completely changed), YouTube is now working for me again in Chrome. (And I'm not in the opt-in HTML5 trial.) Life's mysteries just keep rollin' on like the Big Muddy. However, when I tried MOG, after a couple minutes, the underwater sound started up all over again... [sigh]

ADDDENDUM 2: I was fooling myself. YT videos in Chrome on my rig will play well for a few minutes but then, before too long, the underwater sound issue starts. (It actually seems more to be many, many, tiny glitches that, in stream, come so fast as to produce chopping so rapid as to seem like a 'ripple' in the sound... but an unignorable one.)
Old 21st December 2012

🎧 15 years
It appears that my videos started working tonight on youtube. I sent a comment on the comments tab regarding the issue at the same time as I uploaded the first new video in awhile so I don't know which did it but it seems to be working on safari now.
Old 21st December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It appears that my videos started working tonight on youtube. I sent a comment on the comments tab regarding the issue at the same time as I uploaded the first new video in awhile so I don't know which did it but it seems to be working on safari now.
just in time for the end of the world
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, it seems to be working again although I only tried James' videos and one other so far.
πŸ“ Reply