Quantcast
What vocal mic did you use today - Page 87 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What vocal mic did you use today
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #2581
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
I always had trouble nailing down which model it was. This vid - the mic appears to have a dark gray/black band... on one SE official site it says it was the 2200 - it is just the dark band that makes it confusing... the 2200a had a light band... either way...
I don't know if there was ever just a 2200? But I just had a google, this is definitely a 2200a. Might just be the dark lighting.

My daughter has the new Mk2 version. I can't hear any difference to be honest, but it's black now and the shock mount is cheap plastic. It just looks like a cheap mic now. Not sure why they did that.

https://www.facebook.com/sEElectroni...3421489915570/
Old 2 days ago
  #2582
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Heiserman 47 with the K47 headbasket wins again!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #2583
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeeee ➡️
I don't know if there was ever just a 2200? But I just had a google, this is definitely a 2200a. Might just be the dark lighting.

My daughter has the new Mk2 version. I can't hear any difference to be honest, but it's black now and the shock mount is cheap plastic. It just looks like a cheap mic now. Not sure why they did that.

https://www.facebook.com/sEElectroni...3421489915570/
https://www.seelectronics.com/se2200-microphone 98% chance that it is the same mic... they came out in black then silver then black. I was just wondering if it was a crossover model... from 2200 to 2200a
Old 2 days ago
  #2584
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I used one of my C12 clones with Tim Campbell CT-12 capsule, NOS GE 5-star 6072A’s to track some female vocals. Absolutely superb!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #2585
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
https://www.seelectronics.com/se2200-microphone 98% chance that it is the same mic... they came out in black then silver then black. I was just wondering if it was a crossover model... from 2200 to 2200a
Hmm, that black 2200 is the new one they sell now. So the 2200a is the original and the 2200 it's successor. Indeed the mic my daughter has is a 2200, bought last year.

I guess we've found something now to put in the cons list: Confusing as ****
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #2586
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeeee ➡️
Hmm, that black 2200 is the new one they sell now. So the 2200a is the original and the 2200 it's successor. Indeed the mic my daughter has is a 2200, bought last year.

I guess we've found something now to put in the cons list: Confusing as ****
It is confusing. The original one had the same self noise/sig to noise as the new one but the 2200a seemed different. I just found an old post most were deleted. Here is a SILVER 2200 http://recordinghacks.com/microphone...nics/sE2000-v2 (they say the body is a touch smaller?) http://recordinghacks.com/microphone...nics/sE2000-v2 I do see the 'v2' at the end - so I imagine the SILVER 2200 was version 2? (original was black? v1?) talk soon...
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #2587
Gear Guru
 
The 2200/2300 Series is a bit bright on me.
(probably nice on Modern styles or VO through)

Whereas the SE T2 or 4400a are nice "as is", for singing.
Chris
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #2588
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
The 2200/2300 Series is a bit bright on me.
(probably nice on Modern styles or VO through)

Whereas the SE T2 or 4400a are nice "as is", for singing.
Chris
Yea pretty flat response too ~
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #2589
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
It is confusing. The original one had the same self noise/sig to noise as the new one but the 2200a seemed different. I just found an old post most were deleted. Here is a SILVER 2200 http://recordinghacks.com/microphone...nics/sE2000-v2 (they say the body is a touch smaller?) http://recordinghacks.com/microphone...nics/sE2000-v2 I do see the 'v2' at the end - so I imagine the SILVER 2200 was version 2? (original was black? v1?) talk soon...
As far as I can see, only the original 2200a was silver, so maybe they just forgot to type the a? All the other variants are/were black.
https://www.seelectronics.com/legacy-products

If I still haven't got this right, I'm gonnna give up and just be glad I got the right one. Well, the one that I really like anyway. I'm not sure why they decided to change it tho, it looked and sounded great as it was.

The 4400a I'm guessing is a 414 clone and probably every bit as good?
Old 2 days ago
  #2590
Gear Guru
 
It depends which of the 2 dozen or so, 414 incarnations. Do they have the magic of the original "Brass Capsule" 414... not quite.
The T2 and 4400 sound better if you relatively close mic them, due to the self noise.
I actually like the current 414 XLS BTW. But the SE's are very nice.
Chris
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #2591
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
SE mics are all about that extension to 20k.

Most mics are down 5-10-infinite db lower at 20k.
Old 1 day ago
  #2592
Gear Guru
 
401K is an important frequency too. You can bank on it.
Chris
Old 1 day ago
  #2593
Here for the gear
Honestly, I didn't know anything about them when I bought it. I had an AKG Solidtube before that, which was definitely less bright sounding.

For years I had wondered if I should upgrade, how much difference it might make, but with the rest of the signal chain I have, I guess I'll just get on and keep making some music rather than fuss about my gear. It works, good enough for me.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #2594
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeeee ➡️
Honestly, I didn't know anything about them when I bought it. I had an AKG Solidtube before that, which was definitely less bright sounding.

For years I had wondered if I should upgrade, how much difference it might make, but with the rest of the signal chain I have, I guess I'll just get on and keep making some music rather than fuss about my gear. It works, good enough for me.
I'm sure the sE mic rocks.

Solidtube used to be BASHED around here in the 00's.

Today I've been playing with the Telefunken M80 btw (just to be on thread topic).
Old 1 day ago
  #2595
Gear Guru
 
Perfect for Mellencamp's "Cherry Bomb"!
Chris
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #2596
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
SE mics are all about that extension to 20k.

Most mics are down 5-10-infinite db lower at 20k.
Who even cares? CAssettes and MP3s are pretty much gone by 12khz- the point at which a lot of hearing is gone anyhow.

By the time you're 18, typically you only hear to 18khz
By the time you're 30, typically you only hear to 16khz
By the time you're 40, typically you only hear to 12khz
And low end? Anything below 30hz a complete waste of audio real estate in the music world. Motion pictures, different story.

So typically, 40hz to 16K will cover everything you'll even need in a vocal microphone.
Old 1 day ago
  #2597
Gear Guru
 
And by the time you're married 20+ years, typically you only hear to 100 hertz or less.
Chris
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #2598
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Who even cares? CAssettes and MP3s are pretty much gone by 12khz- the point at which a lot of hearing is gone anyhow.

By the time you're 18, typically you only hear to 18khz
By the time you're 30, typically you only hear to 16khz
By the time you're 40, typically you only hear to 12khz
And low end? Anything below 30hz a complete waste of audio real estate in the music world. Motion pictures, different story.

So typically, 40hz to 16K will cover everything you'll even need in a vocal microphone.
add typical hpf's getting used on directional mics which 'cut' yet another octave or two...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 day ago at 03:04 AM..
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #2599
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Who even cares? CAssettes and MP3s are pretty much gone by 12khz- the point at which a lot of hearing is gone anyhow.

By the time you're 18, typically you only hear to 18khz
By the time you're 30, typically you only hear to 16khz
By the time you're 40, typically you only hear to 12khz
And low end? Anything below 30hz a complete waste of audio real estate in the music world. Motion pictures, different story.

So typically, 40hz to 16K will cover everything you'll even need in a vocal microphone.
Ah yes cassettes.

I'm over 40 and magically there is a huge difference between mics that roll off way before sE mics. Have nice rooms, hard of hearing folks.

(PS I can hear them in real time or with a computer hard disk and wav. no testing mp3's when I audition mics).
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #2600
Lives for gear
 
XHipHop's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
add typical hpf's getting used on directional mics which 'cut' yet another octave or two...
Record with a mic that extends to 20k. Then cut with hpf. Then boost the air frequencies again with a Maag eq.
Old 1 day ago
  #2601
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Vocal Mic For Live Event 10/16/2021

Last Saturday, 10/16/2021, I used Earthworks SR40Vs for vocals, paired with Pueblo JR preamps.

This example is the raw, direct, isolated, live feed, zero processing, of Johanna, who just turned 17, singing live on the SR40V, for about 150 in a Church, the SR40V powered by Pueblo P4 into the Pueblo JR preamp, then captured via Aurora(n) TB 96/24. She sang 15 songs, 5 in Spanish, and is tightly managing her vocal effort as she had another 7 songs after this, most from 8 time Grammy nominated female vocalists which means a LOT of effort. The short round of applause was picked-up by Johanna's mic and another vocal mic for Charlotte on harmony vocal. Also posted the raw vocals with the Orchestra for context. (At the event, for live Mix, I used an M7 and a Buzz Audio SOC-M, neither are on these examples which, as noted, are the isolated, raw, direct, live feed.)

Regarding bleed on a live stage, the stage was small, 15' wide, only 6' deep with her monitors arranged at her feet; two (2) 1000 watt QSC K10 powered monitors, and another set of monitors within 6 feet; two (2) 2000 watt QSC K 8.2 powered monitors.

The PA system was about 12 feet away and two feet below on both sides of Johanna:
Four (4) 1000 watt QSC KLA powered line array loudspeakers.
Two (2) 1000 watt QSC KW181 sub woofers

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...f6b147b733219e

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 1 day ago at 08:16 PM..
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #2602
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan ➡️
Last Saturday, 10/16/2021, I used Earthworks SR40Vs for vocals, paired with Pueblo JR preamps.

This example is the raw, direct, isolated, live feed, zero processing, of Johanna, who just turned 17, singing live on the SR40V, for about 150 in a Church, the SR40V powered by Pueblo P4 into the Pueblo JR preamp, then captured via Aurora(n) TB 96/24. She sang 15 songs, 5 in Spanish and is tightly managing her vocal effort as she had another 7 songs after this, most from 8 time Grammy nominated female vocalists which means a LOT of effort. The short round of applause was picked-up by Johanna's mic and another vocal mic for Charlotte on harmony vocal. Also posted the raw vocals with the Orchestra for context. (At the event, for live Mix, I used an M7 and a Buzz Audio SOC-M, neither are on these examples which, as noted, are the isolated, raw, direct, live feed.)

Regarding bleed on a live stage, the stage was small, 15' wide, only 6' deep with her monitors arranged at her feet; two (2) 1000 watt QSC K10 powered monitors, and another set of monitors within 6 feet; two (2) 2000 watt QSC K 8.2 powered monitors.

The PA system was about 12 feet away and two feet below on both sides of Johanna:
Four (4) 1000 watt QSC KLA powered line array loudspeakers.
Two (2) 1000 watt QSC KW181 sub woofers

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...f6b147b733219e
~ good ~
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 60 views: 21436
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 1183 views: 273084
Avatar for Trashjive
Trashjive 1 day ago
replies: 156 views: 20066
Avatar for Lenzo
Lenzo 28th October 2012
replies: 6461 views: 829598
Avatar for ziggysane
ziggysane 1 day ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump