True. He did not suck.
Old 21st September 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
CMV563 with M7
Old 22nd September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Flea 49 with Olympic 65 Pre EQ and a Neumann k49 capsule. Sounds incredible so crisp but warm.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
CMV563 with M7
Mmm very nice, and very unfortunately out of my price range
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieW ➡️
Mmm very nice, and very unfortunately out of my price range
Yeah, it's a cool one. I got pretty lucky about 15 years ago. There was a russian guy refurbishing them, and some Lomo mics and putting them on eBay. Luckily I knew a guy who onw's a studio called Russian Recording who was raised by his Russian grandperents. He'd already spoken to the guy (in Russian) and bought from him. It was still pretty weird to bank transfer to Moscow and hope for a mic to show up.

It's a bit of a parts Frankenstein, the body is not original, and the capsule housing doesn't say M7, but it sounds great.
I used the DPA 2028 to test a reverb pedal into my vocals... like a hardware unit. I set the input level of my Meris Mercury7 to line level, and then I just got an amazing subtle plate reverb using the 2028.

I forgot to talk about this, but I did a rehearsal last week, and I tested a lot of mics on my vocals: kms105, 2028, md441 and sm58.

It is amazing how the 2028 sounded "ready", without any change in eq (but I did some changes, after). The kms105 sounded really similar to the 58 in frequencies. Sounded like I could really get close to the 105 with some EQ going. Then, the 441 was amazing. Really full, and with the treble boost, it was really close to the 2028, but fuller and a little more "direct" sounding.

I didn't listened to the microphones in headphones or studio reference monitors. I just listened to them at the rehearsal room, with a pair of QSC K12. Maybe, in nice headphones or monitors, the sensation could be different.

Nice comparison!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Today is Ray Charles' birthday (September 23rd). He was born 92 years ago.
So...
Did a "one take" Car-E-Oke (MP4) Acapella, on the handy dandy cell phone.
Chris

EDIT: A more "proper"Acapella/One Take vocal recording today on 9/24. Through EV 676a.
Brief audio clip of "Make Me Smile"/Chicago Intro.
Attached Files

New Project - Track (13).aup3FINALfinalComeSeeAboutMeRCcellphoneMP4.wav (1.26 MB, 605 views)

New Project - Track (14).aup3FINALfinalMakeMeSmileIntroEV767a-8dbVolume.wav (1.95 MB, 544 views)

Old 24th September 2022 | Show parent
Just used the u87ai again to record my new YouTube video, singing a brazilian song from a great artist (Djavan). The name of the song is Oceano ("Ocean", in Portuguese).

I used a nylon string guitar (Cordoba C10) in the recording as well, and captured it with a KM184.

Here's the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/H3l_e14pnvE

I am really proud of my new mixes... I'm still an amateur, but I'm loving the sound I'm achieving, watching the videos in my TV home theater (I don't have studio monitors... heck, I don't have a studio or room! I record on my bedroom with zero treatment beside my bed absorbing some frequencies! Hahhahahahhaha

I hope you guys like this song!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoPandelo ➡️
Just used the u87ai again to record my new YouTube video, singing a brazilian song from a great artist (Djavan). The name of the song is Oceano ("Ocean", in Portuguese).

I used a nylon string guitar (Cordoba C10) in the recording as well, and captured it with a KM184.

Here's the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/H3l_e14pnvE

I am really proud of my new mixes... I'm still an amateur, but I'm loving the sound I'm achieving, watching the videos in my TV home theater (I don't have studio monitors... heck, I don't have a studio or room! I record on my bedroom with zero treatment beside my bed absorbing some frequencies! Hahhahahahhaha

For a home recording in your bedroom you did a great job
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoPandelo ➡️
Just used the u87ai …….

You got 25 mattresses to your wall? Sound without a lot of reverberation. Very good. 👏
Old 24th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always enjoy your recordings, Rodrigo, beautiful work. And I love Djavan, he's brilliant! I think you're making some great sounds.
Gear Head

u47fet on rap vocals
hardy m1 pre--Elop+ (tracking)
RS124(mix)
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
You got 25 mattresses to your wall? Sound without a lot of reverberation. Very good. 👏
I noticed that, must have been very close to the mics
Thank you all for the feedback.

And yes... indeed... I do use close mic and play/sing really softly.

The softly singing/playing is part of my nature as musician... I can't do it differently. But the close mic is something I kind of needed to work on for a better sound quality in my recordings/singing technique.

I work with my vocal and acoustic guitar condenser mics around 3.5 to 4 inches from my mouth/acoustic guitar, and I always try to sing and play in angles, specially when I'm in a louder part of the song. I also do a lot of weird faces to leave only a little piece of my mouth open, so the sound hit the microphone in a lower level.

Yeah... work in a bad place makes your creativity flies! Hahhahahha

Ah... I also leave one of the doors of my wardrobe open (the one that is right behind where I play and sing), so I have a little less reflections happening. All this because I live in a REALLY small 75 square feet apartment. So... yeah... you might imagine how things happen' around here. Hahahhahah!
Old 26th September 2022

🎧 5 years
Pearlman Church > Chandler TG2-500 > Crane Song AD

Best vocal take this year. In a huge thunderstorm no less, so yeah, noisy af.
Tracked without a comp, but a plugin 76 leveled it out pretty good.
The Church is a really weird mic, a 47 C12 hybrid kind of thing. Wouldn't recommend it for rock vocals or even really quiet stuff, but the in-between was just beautiful.
Old 1st October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
IMHO a nice approach/vocal capture today.
Used the 'umble EV 767a (which is unfortunately now Out of Production).
No "Air Mode"/no Launcher.

Brief vocal Intro of a fave Ballad.
Just mild 3% Reverb/LA2A & 1176 Plugs/mild De-essing here.

Further study into the "Ray Charles" style...
Will increase any vocal "inflections", as my musical sense improves.
Thanks for listening.
Chris
Attached Files

New Project - Track (15).aup3FINALfinalRCDon'tLetTheSounCatchUCryingIntroEV767a-8dbVolume.wav (1.65 MB, 426 views)

Old 1st October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ thisismercifulfate who’s the tubist?
Old 1st October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame ➡️
@ thisismercifulfate who’s the tubist?
JáTtik Clark.
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
IMHO a nice approach/vocal capture today.
Used the 'umble EV 767a (which is unfortunately now Out of Production).
No "Air Mode"/no Launcher.

Brief vocal Intro of a fave Ballad.
Just mild 3% Reverb/LA2A & 1176 Plugs/mild De-essing here.

Further study into the "Ray Charles" style...
Will increase any vocal "inflections", as my musical sense improves.
Thanks for listening.
Chris
There's a replacement though, ND76, but I couldn't say how similar it is
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Very close. But wider pattern.
The 767a ducks more bad room tone.

I was in a coffee shop, with a piped in P.A., and people talking!*
Chris
*Inside their small conference room though.
But you can hear the music/background chatter.
in there
Lives for gear
Quote:
Very close. But wider pattern.
The 767a ducks more bad room tone.

I was in a coffee shop, with a piped in P.A., and people talking!*
Chris
*Inside their small conference room though.
But you can hear the music/background chatter.
in there
Right, that's interesting because it's what I thought was the difference between the N/D468 and the ND46, its replacement. I remember the 408 and 468 as being fairly tight-patterned, maybe it's my imagination but the 46 seemed broader to me. In fact it could just be the fact that it has a quite clean off-axis response so you notice the pickup from the sides more
767 was a pretty nice stage vocal mic for that price range, IIRC its presence boost was a little smaller than a 58. I used a 967 for a while for its phenomenal feedback rejection, but it lacked something, IMO it needed some of that boost back

That clip from the 767 you posted really isn't bad, were you using it hand-held or on a stand? Slight "woof" from your breath at one point but nothing you couldn't easily fix later
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Hand held. I like "one take"/demo vocals, because they usually have the good "feeling".
(Instead of getting too cerebral on a take)

If the mic was positioned to minimize breath noises etc, you'd hear the background sounds clearly. So I "ate" the mic.
Chris
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hand held. I like "one take"/demo vocals, because they usually have the good "feeling".
(Instead of getting too cerebral on a take)

If the mic was positioned to minimize breath noises etc, you'd hear the background sounds clearly. So I "ate" the mic.
Chris
Nothing wrong with that IMO, it might be the best way to get the right performance from the singer. I think it's well worth living with a little background or other artifacts if it gets you the best performance. Just listening on the speakers in my large-ish TV, which I use as a monitor for my laptop, I can't hear the bleed from the background environment at all, though if I cranked it on my proper monitoring system I might pick it up.

I'm curious though, what did you use to record that take that you could easily carry with you when you're going to the coffee shop? A little Zoom-type recorder or something?
That type of gear gets mocked on GS just for not being high-end but IMO it's great for the price, the mic inputs aren't real bad at all in fact! Esp. on the later models, much less noisy. I use mine a lot, whenever I have new mic's to try or I want to do something differently, it's so easy to just patch in the Zoom and record it in multi-track straight to an SD card. It's got so many features, there's a heck of a lot you can do in the field with it and nothing else. The secret is to buy the right cable so you can power it from a powerbank instead of throw-away batteries, or apparently the H6 has a setting to use 4 NiMH rechargeables at 1.2V each instead of standard AA's at 1.5V, and it detects when you're using USB power and adjusts to that too. Turning on the phantom really chews up the batteries.

It must be fun going for a coffee with you
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieW ➡️
Nothing wrong with that IMO, it might be the best way to get the right performance from the singer. I think it's well worth living with a little background or other artifacts if it gets you the best performance. Just listening on the speakers in my large-ish TV, which I use as a monitor for my laptop, I can't hear the bleed from the background environment at all, though if I cranked it on my proper monitoring system I might pick it up.

I'm curious though, what did you use to record that take that you could easily carry with you when you're going to the coffee shop? A little Zoom-type recorder or something?
That type of gear gets mocked on GS just for not being high-end but IMO it's great for the price, the mic inputs aren't real bad at all in fact! Esp. on the later models, much less noisy. I use mine a lot, whenever I have new mic's to try or I want to do something differently, it's so easy to just patch in the Zoom and record it in multi-track straight to an SD card. It's got so many features, there's a heck of a lot you can do in the field with it and nothing else. The secret is to buy the right cable so you can power it from a powerbank instead of throw-away batteries, or apparently the H6 has a setting to use 4 NiMH rechargeables at 1.2V each instead of standard AA's at 1.5V, and it detects when you're using USB power and adjusts to that too. Turning on the phantom really chews up the batteries.

It must be fun going for a coffee with you
For professional sound quality, the Sound Devices MixPre is far superior and similar ergonomics, if slightly bigger. Used a lot for ultra portable audio capture for film production. More expensive but worth it. they make different sizes for different track count capability.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Thanks Bernie!
It was simply EV767a>3rd Gen Scarlett.
Chris
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
For professional sound quality, the Sound Devices MixPre is far superior and similar ergonomics, if slightly bigger. Used a lot for ultra portable audio capture for film production. More expensive but worth it. they make different sizes for different track count capability.
They make beautiful stuff but that's like 4x the price for the 6-track, I couldn't spend that on it at the time. It would be a great choice for professional film production, no question. I considered the Zoom F-series, the F-8 is 8-track and a bit cheaper, but probably one step down in overall standard from the MixPre; possibly as good value though.

When I got the H6 it was for personal use, just something to record in low-track-count multi-track for my own reference, when I got new mics for example so I could record a new one and whatever I was using before on the same source, to a track each and compare them later at home. It's plenty good enough to record a gig in 6 tracks, take it home and process/mix it into a serviceable live recording the band can use for promo, as a demo and for their rehearsals; the limitations of a recording like that aren't in the recorder itself IMO but the format of the production, so that little unit is fine for me. It services my live sound mixing, which is my base/regular income, and it does it well, but I don't think it would have been wise to spend much more on it.

I'm starting a mobile recording service soon, with an interface in a rack and a laptop, so that's my commercial-grade kit but something like a 10-ch. version of the MixPre or even the F8 would have been a good start too. However, I think I would then want to upgrade to rack-mounted interfaces at some point.
One market I want to service is auditions, with a student solo singer or instrumentalist and a piano accompanist. The MixPre would be great for that IMO, there's a lot of merit to keeping it compact for me but it has to be pro quality. I need to be ready to do field-recording type jobs too so a unit like that Sound Devices one would be ideal
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks Bernie!
Chris
Well even so, you go for a coffee with a laptop, an interface and a mic and lead, headphones too I guess, I bet people notice when you not only set it all up but record a take! Good on you, that's a very real and human way to make music, out in the world like that. Should be more of it
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Some of the coffee crew (sometimes), "make" me sing when I visit. (Hey twist my arm! )

A couple of other restaurants around town too...
Chris
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Thanks Bernie!
Chris
Wow! This recording is GREAT! Just... looks like it was made in a studio! Damn... I need to record more live stuff! I'll try to do something like that in the weddings I do. Will have one on the next weekend.

About mics... I just used the 2028 to record vocals this weekend, paired with a MD441 for my acoustic guitar. I kind of liked the results, but I'm really not that good of a mixer. So... I really don't know if it is good or bad. Even to hear the result of the mix... I only have a Sony headphone... so all my decisions in the mixing process might be fooled by the "not so natural" headphone. Anyway... here it is:

https://youtu.be/JIBGNr0TsgY
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Recorded my up and coming episode at a huge studio here in Sweden. I was totally blown away by the vocal performance of the talent. I mean she came in, caughed and nailed the best vocal performance I've heard IRL. Jeez haha!

Golden age premier Ela m251e
Attached Thumbnails
What vocal mic did you use today-img_20221002_155241.jpg   What vocal mic did you use today-img_20221002_143839.jpg  
📝 Reply