What vocal mic did you use today
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
CMV563 with M7
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Flea 49 with Olympic 65 Pre EQ and a Neumann k49 capsule. Sounds incredible so crisp but warm.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
CMV563 with M7
Mmm very nice, and very unfortunately out of my price range
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieW ➡️
Mmm very nice, and very unfortunately out of my price range
Yeah, it's a cool one. I got pretty lucky about 15 years ago. There was a russian guy refurbishing them, and some Lomo mics and putting them on eBay. Luckily I knew a guy who onw's a studio called Russian Recording who was raised by his Russian grandperents. He'd already spoken to the guy (in Russian) and bought from him. It was still pretty weird to bank transfer to Moscow and hope for a mic to show up.

It's a bit of a parts Frankenstein, the body is not original, and the capsule housing doesn't say M7, but it sounds great.
I used the DPA 2028 to test a reverb pedal into my vocals... like a hardware unit. I set the input level of my Meris Mercury7 to line level, and then I just got an amazing subtle plate reverb using the 2028.

I forgot to talk about this, but I did a rehearsal last week, and I tested a lot of mics on my vocals: kms105, 2028, md441 and sm58.

It is amazing how the 2028 sounded "ready", without any change in eq (but I did some changes, after). The kms105 sounded really similar to the 58 in frequencies. Sounded like I could really get close to the 105 with some EQ going. Then, the 441 was amazing. Really full, and with the treble boost, it was really close to the 2028, but fuller and a little more "direct" sounding.

I didn't listened to the microphones in headphones or studio reference monitors. I just listened to them at the rehearsal room, with a pair of QSC K12. Maybe, in nice headphones or monitors, the sensation could be different.

Nice comparison!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Today is Ray Charles' birthday (September 23rd). He was born 92 years ago.
So...
Did a "one take" Car-E-Oke (MP4) Acapella, on the handy dandy cell phone.
Chris

EDIT: A more "proper"Acapella/One Take vocal recording today on 9/24. Through EV 676a.
Brief audio clip of "Make Me Smile"/Chicago Intro.
Attached Files

New Project - Track (13).aup3FINALfinalComeSeeAboutMeRCcellphoneMP4.wav (1.26 MB, 151 views)

New Project - Track (14).aup3FINALfinalMakeMeSmileIntroEV767a-8dbVolume.wav (1.95 MB, 98 views)

Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Just used the u87ai again to record my new YouTube video, singing a brazilian song from a great artist (Djavan). The name of the song is Oceano ("Ocean", in Portuguese).

I used a nylon string guitar (Cordoba C10) in the recording as well, and captured it with a KM184.

Here's the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/H3l_e14pnvE

I am really proud of my new mixes... I'm still an amateur, but I'm loving the sound I'm achieving, watching the videos in my TV home theater (I don't have studio monitors... heck, I don't have a studio or room! I record on my bedroom with zero treatment beside my bed absorbing some frequencies! Hahhahahahhaha

I hope you guys like this song!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoPandelo ➡️
Just used the u87ai again to record my new YouTube video, singing a brazilian song from a great artist (Djavan). The name of the song is Oceano ("Ocean", in Portuguese).

I used a nylon string guitar (Cordoba C10) in the recording as well, and captured it with a KM184.

Here's the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/H3l_e14pnvE

I am really proud of my new mixes... I'm still an amateur, but I'm loving the sound I'm achieving, watching the videos in my TV home theater (I don't have studio monitors... heck, I don't have a studio or room! I record on my bedroom with zero treatment beside my bed absorbing some frequencies! Hahhahahahhaha

For a home recording in your bedroom you did a great job
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodrigoPandelo ➡️
Just used the u87ai …….

You got 25 mattresses to your wall? Sound without a lot of reverberation. Very good. 👏
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always enjoy your recordings, Rodrigo, beautiful work. And I love Djavan, he's brilliant! I think you're making some great sounds.
Here for the gear

u47fet on rap vocals
hardy m1 pre--Elop+ (tracking)
RS124(mix)
Attached Files

desia pt2.wav (8.48 MB, 183 views)

Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi ➡️
You got 25 mattresses to your wall? Sound without a lot of reverberation. Very good. 👏
I noticed that, must have been very close to the mics
Thank you all for the feedback.

And yes... indeed... I do use close mic and play/sing really softly.

The softly singing/playing is part of my nature as musician... I can't do it differently. But the close mic is something I kind of needed to work on for a better sound quality in my recordings/singing technique.

I work with my vocal and acoustic guitar condenser mics around 3.5 to 4 inches from my mouth/acoustic guitar, and I always try to sing and play in angles, specially when I'm in a louder part of the song. I also do a lot of weird faces to leave only a little piece of my mouth open, so the sound hit the microphone in a lower level.

Yeah... work in a bad place makes your creativity flies! Hahhahahha

Ah... I also leave one of the doors of my wardrobe open (the one that is right behind where I play and sing), so I have a little less reflections happening. All this because I live in a REALLY small 75 square feet apartment. So... yeah... you might imagine how things happen' around here. Hahahhahah!
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Pearlman Church > Chandler TG2-500 > Crane Song AD

Best vocal take this year. In a huge thunderstorm no less, so yeah, noisy af.
Tracked without a comp, but a plugin 76 leveled it out pretty good.
The Church is a really weird mic, a 47 C12 hybrid kind of thing. Wouldn't recommend it for rock vocals or even really quiet stuff, but the in-between was just beautiful.
📝 Reply