Quantcast
Great engineer in an "good" room, or "good" engineer in a great room? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Great engineer in an "good" room, or "good" engineer in a great room?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It doesn't matter I will fix it when I mix it... and if I can't do it the mastering engineer will..
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
Given the two options, great engineer - good room would be my choice.
+1
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The client is really buying the life long experiences and ear of the engineer. There is a reason we keep telling the newbs to "sell yourself and not the gear" and also "you will learn so much from just getting your hands dirty experimenting". The better engineers have that time in the trenches and have expended a fair amount of hours experimenting to hone their choices. Experience and a refined ear is the true product we are selling.

While it may be harder to work around a bad room or bad gear there are plenty examples of engineers who did just that in the 70's and got amazing recordings so even the guys with little recording experience if willing to use their ear and experiment have a chance to make magic in less than an ideal setup. You look at a guy like Les Paul who even farther back in time basically was one of the pioneers of home recording. He had a very refined ear to start with from all those years of playing and building instruments under his belt. The other key factor was his constant experimentation. That combination overcame the limitations of his gear (he had very good gear for the time) and using various untreated rooms of a house to produce some very good recordings that hold up today. So bottom line is it comes down to the ear of the engineer and the trait of experimentation with more experience being a huge plus.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Obvious choice. It's like asking, "What's more important for a great guitar sound? A great guitar or a great player?

One thinks. The other is a thing.
Old 26th September 2012
surely the real question though is what converters are being used
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talent over gear or room
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➡️
The client is really buying the life long experiences and ear of the engineer. ......
A great example is the Beatles' album "Sgt. Pepper". Has anyone heard the individual (original) tracks on that album? I have, and it is amazingly noisy, muddy... There is a whole lot of headphone bleed, audible count-ins on the vocal track, and all kinds of other noises and distractions. Splice-ins are also quite obvious. But the engineer(s) overcame all this by knowing how to do what and where. One would never know the limitations of the recording environment in the final album without hearing those individual (few) tracks.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've met alot of engineers. In the hundreds.
And maybe 6 or 7 "Great" engineers. They are as few and far between as Great anything.
Im betting alot of people in this thread are considering themselves when they say "Great Engineer".

The person involved is always the weak link. As Kenny pointed out a room is just an inanimate object, and as such can be manipulated. Less so the person.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The engineer in a good room wins every time.

The great room is nice, but like the analogy of a great guitar and a so-so player, you have to know how to use what you have.
I have seen a lot of people buy expensive guitars and I have seen a whole lot of people build really expensive studios.
Most of these people barely play any longer and most of the studios no longer exist or were sold to someone else with a dream.

The good engineers I have known over the years are all still working or have recently retired.

There are a WHOLE LOT of hobbyists and a handful of professionals.
Old 19th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Describe the following terms:
  • "good engineer"
  • "great engineer"
  • "good room"
  • "great room"

And please describe the COST, LOGISTICS and TIME differentials.

Otherwise, none of this means anything. Good and great are beyond impossibly subjective.

One person's "annoyingly crappy room" is another person's "impossibly godawful room".

Etc.

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack Doofa ➡️
I've met alot of engineers. In the hundreds.
And maybe 6 or 7 "Great" engineers. They are as few and far between as Great anything.
Im betting alot of people in this thread are considering themselves when they say "Great Engineer".

The person involved is always the weak link. As Kenny pointed out a room is just an inanimate object, and as such can be manipulated. Less so the person.

I refute your premise.

Most people I know are much closer to inanimate objects.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter".
-W. Churchill

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➡️
.Describe the following terms:
  • "good engineer"
  • "great engineer"
  • "good room"
  • "great room"
And please describe the COST, LOGISTICS and TIME differentials.
Otherwise, none of this means anything. Good and great are beyond impossibly subjective.
One person's "annoyingly crappy room" is another person's "impossibly godawful room"..
Yes, yes... but this logic applies to about anything in life.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba ➡️
Yes, yes... but this logic applies to about anything in life.

uh, yeah....and this is an engineering forum.....not a GOP debate...or long term life insurance commercial.

the LEAST we can do is try to understand WHO is asking the question, and WHAT his/her criteria definitions are.

some people think a great room is the Mughal Tombs outside the Taj Mahal in Agra, India.

some people think a great engineer is me.

let's define some of these 'good' and 'great' terms.

sorry, but it's WAY too general.

Last edited by Sqye; 19th September 2015 at 08:04 PM..
📝 Reply