Quantcast
Can someone sanity check me? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can someone sanity check me?
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Is the above somethng you'd feel comfortable with under most any circumstances?
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I can still hear the very faintest of hums with the gain cranked all the way up, monitors cranked pretty loudly as well, but I can't imagine that would be an issue with a healthy signal running through. It is much cleaner than the first example, for sure, nice work. Maybe if you were trying to mic a very quiet guitar from a distance with a ribbon, but sounds good to me. I really like the little "ping" tube sound when you switch the gain. Listening on Spiral Groove Studio Ones (sonic animas) here.
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks! I'll have to wire this solution in and then work on the other one. I want to keep one, but one I still need to sell if anyone is interested.
Old 28th October 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Well, it just goes to show, check every possibility. After the above, I kept seeing if I could do better and finally decided it wasn't going to happen. Then I realized that the tubes in this guy were some random ones that I'd put in during an earlier tube swap test. The 12AX7 one was some old generic one. I swapped it out and sudden got the rest of the way there.

Overall level at max boost/min attenuation is down to something around -72dBFS, mid is at -75dBFS and low is around -78 to -79dBFS. High frequency hiss is down as well. 60Hz came down a good 5 to 6dB, 120Hz came down probably 10dB. The 60Hz is now the highest component, and though it's not bad at all, it will often be rolled off completely anyway.

Here is the original spectrum from 9/20 and tonight's results:

Here's the new WAV, same as before 15 seconds of each boost type.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Tmp...Noise_1027.wav

So anyhoo, it's now I think fully righteous. It came up so low that I initially thought I'd messed up something and it wasn't going to pass signal, but it's all happy tunes. I'm going to solder this solution in and then do the other one.

Woohoo, I dun kilt me some hum, bo!
๐Ÿ“ Reply