Which Cables do i need? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which Cables do i need?
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Which Cables do i need?

Hi,

Im about to order my first set of monitors, Neumann KH120 A's with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14

What cables do i need for this set up? Im guessing a 2xbalanced XLR to XLR for the audio interface to the neumann's but is there i a big difference in quality with various types?

And what connection will i need to connect the audio interface to my mac?

Thanks!
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
anyone?
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The saffire pro is a firewire audio interface, you should have a firewire cable that came with it which you just plug into the firewire port on your computer.

These are active monitors, it looks like the speakers need balanced xlr connectors, but your saffire pro only has 2 balanced xlr inputs, and not outputs, so get two balanced xlr to jack, to connect to the outputs on the back of your saffire pro.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

Use these TRS male to XLR male cables (in whatever length you need) to connect from the Saffire Pro "Line" outputs to the KH-120A inputs. The KH-120A uses standard female input connectors so you need a TRS male to XLR male balanced cable. You may want to pick different colors to make it easy to identify the R/L channels at the back of the Saffire-14.

The type of Firewire cable depends on the particular Mac computer you are using. The Saffire has a Firewire 400 connection. Older Macs have Firewire 400 ports so a plain FW-400 to FW-400 cable will work. Newer Macs (most made after 2011 depending on model) use a Firewirw 800 port only (totally different connector) so you need a FW-400 to FW-800 cable or FW-400 to FW-800 in-line adapter. Current iMacs still have FW-800 ports, but the current MacBooks have dropped Firewire entirely for Thunderbolt I/O so won't work with Firewire interfaces.

Check your Mac to determine if you have FW-400 or FW-800 before purchasing any cable. Also, be sure to check for the current Saffire driver software update for your specific Mac OS.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Cables do i need?-kh-120a-input.jpg  
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There's not really a huge difference in quality between cables that you would be able to hear. I avoid Hosa because the tips come off inside my equipment (!)

Gold plugs are better because they don't tend to oxidise or corrode (silver is actually a better conductor but tarnishes quickly which reduces signal quality).

That said all my plugs are silver *shrug*

But don't use longer cables than necessary. Cable length introduces noise...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rule of thumb:
Gold plugs for things that stay plugged for a long time, silver for things which get plugged and unplugged regularly.
The females usually contain wipers which clean contacts when plugging in but in the long run would wear off the gold plating which is a lot thinner than the silver coating.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoahk ➑️
The saffire pro is a firewire audio interface, you should have a firewire cable that came with it which you just plug into the firewire port on your computer.

These are active monitors, it looks like the speakers need balanced xlr connectors, but your saffire pro only has 2 balanced xlr inputs, and not outputs, so get two balanced xlr to jack, to connect to the outputs on the back of your saffire pro.
Thanks for the reply, is there anything better for this price range 200 euros, I chose the Saffire because Focusrite have a good name, but all i really need this for is to hook it up to my monitors for making dance music on ableton or logic

Maybe sometimes i will connect my mixer/cdjs up to it for djing same connection or that too?

I really appreciate your help

Shane
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfox ➑️
Thanks for the reply, is there anything better for this price range 200 euros, I chose the Saffire because Focusrite have a good name, but all i really need this for is to hook it up to my monitors for making dance music on ableton or logic

Maybe sometimes i will connect my mixer/cdjs up to it for djing same connection or that too?

I really appreciate your help

Shane
There are loads of different audio interfaces out there, that focusrite saffire you have is a pretty good audio interface from what i've heard, and should be able to do what you want with no problems.

I wouldn't really recommend anything else at the moment if you are working mainly in the box, it all depends on how many inputs and outputs you want. I think your saffire has 6 inputs and 6 outs (3 stereo ins, 3 stereo outs).

I myself use a mackie blackjack for it's quality preamps, it has two balanced inputs, and outputs for monitors and headphones, and costs around Β£120.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfox ➑️
Thanks for the reply, is there anything better for this price range 200 euros, I chose the Saffire because Focusrite have a good name
Perhaps check out the Echo Digital Audio series. If their 2 and 4 channel audio interfaces are as good as the Audiofire12s, I'd give them a big thumbs up and I think they're probably overlooked..
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
for connecting interface to monitors you will want the following connectors
1/4" TRS Male (connect to Saffire output) to XLR Male (connect to XLR in on your monitor)

cables: I suggest Mogami Gold/Quad or Canare Quad with Neutrik connectors

to answer you question about the Mac it depends what type of firewire port the mac has built in your interface should have come with a standard 6 pin - 6 pin firewire 400 cable. Should your mac require something different there are 6 pin - 4 pin firewire 400 cables and firewire 400 to 800 cables available. Since this is all digital 1's and 0's the cable quality really doesn't make much difference. I'd only suggest buying a more expensive/rugged cable if you plan to do a lot of plugging/unplugging and transport your rig a lot (ie location recording).

as to questioning your interface I've been very happy with 5 different focusrite interfaces over the past 10 years. Unless you really want to spend more for an Apogee, RME, or the like I think you're fine.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks loads for all your reply's, very much appreciated
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie folk guy ➑️
for connecting interface to monitors you will want the following connectors
1/4" TRS Male (connect to Saffire output) to XLR Male (connect to XLR in on your monitor)

cables: I suggest Mogami Gold/Quad or Canare Quad with Neutrik connectors

to answer you question about the Mac it depends what type of firewire port the mac has built in your interface should have come with a standard 6 pin - 6 pin firewire 400 cable. Should your mac require something different there are 6 pin - 4 pin firewire 400 cables and firewire 400 to 800 cables available. Since this is all digital 1's and 0's the cable quality really doesn't make much difference. I'd only suggest buying a more expensive/rugged cable if you plan to do a lot of plugging/unplugging and transport your rig a lot (ie location recording).

as to questioning your interface I've been very happy with 5 different focusrite interfaces over the past 10 years. Unless you really want to spend more for an Apogee, RME, or the like I think you're fine.
Ill go with these pro snake 17552-1,0 Patch Cable - Thomann Irish Cyberstore,

I checked the Mogami cables out, bit pricey at $40 each
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 ➑️
Use these TRS male to XLR male cables (in whatever length you need) to connect from the Saffire Pro "Line" outputs to the KH-120A inputs. The KH-120A uses standard female input connectors so you need a TRS male to XLR male balanced cable. You may want to pick different colors to make it easy to identify the R/L channels at the back of the Saffire-14.

The type of Firewire cable depends on the particular Mac computer you are using. The Saffire has a Firewire 400 connection. Older Macs have Firewire 400 ports so a plain FW-400 to FW-400 cable will work. Newer Macs (most made after 2011 depending on model) use a Firewirw 800 port only (totally different connector) so you need a FW-400 to FW-800 cable or FW-400 to FW-800 in-line adapter. Current iMacs still have FW-800 ports, but the current MacBooks have dropped Firewire entirely for Thunderbolt I/O so won't work with Firewire interfaces.

Check your Mac to determine if you have FW-400 or FW-800 before purchasing any cable. Also, be sure to check for the current Saffire driver software update for your specific Mac OS.
Thanks!

In my Macbook Pro's info its says,

''FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec'' and i checked what the ports look like online, mine is definitely an 800.

I am also going to get a JBL LSR 2310SP or a Yamaha HS10W sub for this set up

JBL LSR 2310SP

Inputs: stereo input connectors (balanced XLR, 1/4" TRS & RCA)
Outputs: stereo output connectors (balanced XLR)

Yamaha HS10W

Inputs: 2 XLR and 2 TRS Inputs
Outputs: XLR L/R main speaker outputs

Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
8 in/6 out, 2x thomann combo input (XLR/jack, mic/line/hi-Z),
switchable 48V phantom power,
2x line inputs (1/4" jack),
4x line output (1/4" jack),
coax S/PDIF I/O,
headphone out with volume adjustment,
FireWire bus powered.
Includes external power supply,
FireWire cable and software package

Neumann KH 120 A, Active Studio Monitor, 5.25" Woofer, 1" Tweeter, frequency response: thomann 52 Hz - 21 kHz, Β± 3 dB, Max. SPL 112.2 dB, Woofer amplifier 50 W, Tweeter amplifier 50 W, Equalization Bass/Mid/High, Input gain control, Output level control, Limiter, magnetic shielded, Analog Input XLR balanced, Dimensions: 277 x 182 x 220 mm (HxWxD), thomann Weight: 6.2 kg

So how exactly would i connect the sub to this set up? I have not decided which sub to go for but someone on here suggested 'it's a no brainer' to go for the JBL

Thanks Again
πŸ“ Reply